Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
I bought my iPhone 15 Pro Max less than two weeks ago and noticed a small chip on the left side. I’m a little paranoid the black titanium will start to chip even more. I’m still under the return window, but I don’t want to play the lottery game and get something worse. I traded in my iPhone 14 Pro Max also. Curious to see how everyone’s iPhones are holding up.
All the black titaniums I've seen at Apple Stores, and I mean all of them, have chips and scratches that show the natural titanium underneath. It's unfortunate cause the black looks hot, but it's def going to show tons of chips over time.

FunkiFuriaku

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2014
From reading responses here, it seems Apple has done a good job convincing people that “natural” titanium is actually the raw titanium. That’s incorrect, it’s a PVD coating that resembles “natural” titanium coloring. I’m sure some do realize this, but keep seeing mentions that they think it can’t chip and that’s why people chose it. It’s a coating just like the other colors.
I work in the metal industry and can confirm that this is not true. It's raw titanium, there might be a protective coating to protect the titanium but the pipes we use have the same color and texture as the natural titanium color. The only thing you're right about is the damage that will be slightly visible on raw titanium either way.

Reactions: NervousFish2

levels

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
I work in the metal industry and can confirm that this is not true. It's raw titanium, there might be a protective coating to protect the titanium but the pipes we use have the same color and texture as the natural titanium color. The only thing you're right about is the damage that will be slightly visible on raw titanium either way.
I’m wrong about nothing I said, yet you are and you even contradict yourself in your own statement since you don’t understand the topic.

The topic was about the banding on the phone and how ALL of the colors have a pvd coating over the titanium, that isn’t actually the raw titanium, including the “natural” color.

You even say “there might be a protective coating” in your own statement. That’s exactly what I said, the PVD coating. Not sure how you managed to misunderstand the entire thing yet agree on a coating, strange.

FunkiFuriaku

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2014
I’m wrong about nothing I said, yet you are and you even contradict yourself in your own statement since you don’t understand the topic.

The topic was about the banding on the phone and how ALL of the colors have a pvd coating over the titanium, that isn’t actually the raw titanium, including the “natural” color.

You even say “there might be a protective coating” in your own statement. That’s exactly what I said, the PVD coating. Not sure how you managed to misunderstand the entire thing yet agree on a coating, strange.
I'm talking about the natural titanium color... It's raw titanium and has no color PVD coating it's a clear PVD coating over the raw titanium. The rest is nothing i'm talking about mate, again i work in the metal industry so i know for a fact what i'm talking about, you just go off based of Apple's website device specifications etc. And again: we use pipes that have the exact same color and texture like the natural titanium color.

Reactions: M2MaxMan

levels

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
I'm talking about the natural titanium color... It's raw titanium and has no color PVD coating it's a clear PVD coating over the raw titanium. The rest is nothing i'm talking about mate, again i work in the metal industry so i know for a fact what i'm talking about, you just go off based of Apple's website device specifications etc. And again: we use pipes that have the exact same color and texture like the natural titanium color.

It’s not their “website” specifications, they said it directly-

https://www.youtube.com/live/ZiP1l7jlIIA?si=_2usy-6OX50c6oM3&t=3497

So should we just ignore Apple completely and listen to you cause you work in the metal industry?

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Reactions: NervousFish2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.