Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Natural seems to be the way to go. I love the black titanium color. No Apple Stores have the color in stock near me. I’m going to an Apple Store this weekend to exchange my device. If no natural is in stock then, I’ll end up exchanging it for the same color. At least that way it will be chip free. I would feel different about the chip if I caused it.
Damages can happen during production so you may still need to check the new one. Wish the best 😊

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
That makes sense. Per your posts, you put case when going to beaches, swimming pool and not using case when the environment is safe. The phone has been well maintained

I haven’t gone to a pool and beach since I got the phone though. No case yet. So yes phone looks like new. And straight up I don’t worry about my phone everyday. I have way important priorities and things to worry about. All this is just replaceable materials.

Reactions: Barbareren

levels

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
From reading responses here, it seems Apple has done a good job convincing people that “natural” titanium is actually the raw titanium. That’s incorrect, it’s a PVD coating that resembles “natural” titanium coloring. I’m sure some do realize this, but keep seeing mentions that they think it can’t chip and that’s why people chose it. It’s a coating just like the other colors.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
From reading responses here, it seems Apple has done a good job convincing people that “natural” titanium is actually the raw titanium. That’s incorrect, it’s a PVD coating that resembles “natural” titanium coloring. I’m sure some do realize this, but keep seeing mentions that they think it can’t chip and that’s why people chose it. It’s a coating just like the other colors.
It can absolutely chip and scratch, but its far less noticeable compared to the other colors.

Reactions: magnetic_electrique

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I would personally keep the phone. I am pretty anal when it comes to any cosmetic damage but a world’s tiniest paint chip wouldn’t bother me.

levels

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
It can absolutely chip and scratch, but its far less noticeable compared to the other colors.
For sure, but you can tell people think this is like the stainless steel where it’s natural vs coated. The chips are still going to show, just be more blended in.

magnetic_electrique

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
Chicago
I would personally keep the phone. I am pretty anal when it comes to any cosmetic damage but a world’s tiniest paint chip wouldn’t bother me.
It normally doesn’t bother me either. It’s something so small and I don’t want to run the risk of getting a device with dust in the cameras, dead pixels, etc. I guess it only bothers me because I didn’t cause the chip. If I had caused it, I would feel differently. I’m honestly thinking of just buying a silicone case from Apple and calling it a day. The clear case from Apple isn’t the best.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
It normally doesn’t bother me either. It’s something so small and I don’t want to run the risk of getting a device with dust in the cameras, dead pixels, etc. I guess it only bothers me because I didn’t cause the chip. If I had caused it, I would feel differently. I’m honestly thinking of just buying a silicone case from Apple and calling it a day. The clear case from Apple isn’t the best.
If everything else is perfect then you should really keep the phone. Every single iPhone has some kind of imperfection whether it be a warm OLED panel, overheating SoCs, connectivity issues, etc… along with the problems that you’ve brought up. It’s too much of a risk to try again as you’re basically playing the phone lottery.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
My blue 15 pm is perfect since launch. It’s in a case with screen protector. I’m not concerned about minor damage as I upgrade yearly.

magnetic_electrique

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
Chicago
If everything else is perfect then you should really keep the phone. Every single iPhone has some kind of imperfection whether it be a warm OLED panel, overheating SoCs, connectivity issues, etc… along with the problems that you’ve brought up. It’s too much of a risk to try again as you’re basically playing the phone lottery.
That’s probably what I’m going to end up doing. I don’t have the energy to play the exchange game. Especially with how limited stock is right now.

Tiago L

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2017
London
I went with the natural titanium for exactly this reason - I am concerned that the darker colors will have issues with chipping and visible scratches.

I actually had an accident with my phone the other day when I fell from the bike and landed directly on the phone that was inside my pocket on hard asphalt. Parts of the titanium frame were scratched and also the camera module. Impressively, the scratches have exactly the same color as the titanium and are barely visible.

I would strongly advice to go for this color if you are worried.

(Luckily I have Apple Care and already had a new device ordered for camera focus issues so I am just waiting for the new device to arrive)
Wow it looks you might have injured yourself, I hope you’re ok man.
I went for the NT and have not had any accidents with it (not yet at least), and my iPhone came with 0 cosmetic defects, really happy with it.
If you’re paranoid about it (and I can understand) I would return it if it is still within the return period.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Have a 15 Pro Max, Natural Titanium. Has been in a case from day 1. No issues

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Well it's been dead since Friday, as far as durability goes, it seemed good until it stopped working, the worst part has been the absolute failure of Apple to correct this issue. I should have been given a new phone immediately, instead I got the run around and a bunch of bs, at all levels. Apparently there's "nothing Apple can do", as they are helpless, all I know is my new phone is supposed to be shipped out sometime in November, because they are "out of stock", which is ludicrous considering all the apple stores in the region have loads of them.

It wouldn't be so bad if I had another iphone to use in the meantime, but I don't, Apple has left me high and dry and they don't care what you need it for. This whole episode has been a nightmare, and has me seriously considering never buying anything from apple ever again. Whoever is in charge of this ******** shouldn't have a job.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
My Space Black 14 Pro Max paint chipped very easily on its frame just like my black iPhone 5.

I've been using a Blue Titanium PM since launch day. No chips or scratches. Was using it naked for the first week, but the rear glass was too slippery and was constantly sliding off the arm of my couch. Currently using a transparent blue Memumi ultra-thin smooth grip case.

M2MaxMan

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2023
Blue titanium 15PM still doing fine in the case and tempered glass screen protector since day one of purchase. No problems here!!!

Blue Titanium iPhone 15 Pro Max 512GB

klspahr

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013
Central PA
I got a white 15PM w/1TB. I was going to go without a case, but chickened out. These iPhones are slippery in my opinion. Plus, I’m a klutz and I keep my phone longer than most people here. I bought a mouz case - so now I have a black phone again…

Opaque cases are nice because I keep a $100 bill between the phone and the case for emergencies or when I forget my wallet.

I also went to a holster because that way my keys and other crap I put in my pockets will not be up against my screen.

magnetic_electrique

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
Chicago
Exchanged my titanium black 15 Pro Max for the same device at Apple. My previous device had a dead pixel as well. I would have lived with the chip. I feel much happier with this device. Tried out the natural titanium at T-Mobile and returned it immediately due to there being dust in the front facing camera. This titanium black iPhone was manufactured last month, so it comes from a newer batch of phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.