Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PotentPeas

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2023
Got a M2 Max 16" a few months ago, and I think I should be able to easily last on it for six years. My plan when buying it was to just use it until they stop offering macOS upgrades and then buy whatever is current at that time. (I've been doing this with iPhones for a good while now; just recently switched over to Mac.) I am already setting aside some money every month for this purpose so it won't be a big lift to spend a few thousand on a new laptop in six years or so.

I might upgrade sooner if there is a compelling reason to do so... But I am not sure what that would be. The system performance is great and I don't see anything coming down the pipe that would give me trouble. I do gaming, but my backlog is so huge, I am fine waiting even for a few years to play a game if the performance demands are too great for my current system. I am a data packrat and I would like them to raise the SSD storage cap (and lower storage prices), but for now, moving "bulk" stuff to network storage works well enough. An OLED panel would be enticing but also I wouldn't want to be in the first group of people getting those; I'd want to make sure that things like burn-in aren't a problem before committing. Hearing rumors of OLED MacBook Pros coming in maybe 2026-ish, so 2029 sounds good for an upgrade.

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I make my MacBook Pros last 9-10 years. I look after them and will change the battery as necessary. But they're not cheap and for office work they can last up to that long. I'm not hugely concerned about Apple's lack of support the last few years of their life. They just coast along.

If your MacBook Pro is lasting you 10 years, you probably don't need a MacBook Pro and would be far better off with an air twice as often at half the price - you'd end up being far more current with faster wifi/usb standards, builtin encryption and codec support, etc. A new MacBook Air will typically outperform a 5 year old MacBook Pro most of the time in most things.

You'd even have warranty for 60% of the time, instead of 30%.

At year 5, you could either keep the older machine as a spare, of re-sell it to contribute to the ownership cost of the new one at 5 years.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
wow that MacBook Air 2010 11" will be 14 years old soon!
that received a battery upgrade this year and a another power chord.
the MBA ws running Mojave since 2018 thanks to Dosdude!
currently running Mountain Lion but might get an upgrade to El Capitan for better airport and security. ElCapMBA2010.png

Last edited:

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
I upgrade whenever I feel the need.
My current laptops are m1 max mbp pro 16 which replaced 2 years ago the 2019 mbp 16 (one of the worst apple laptops I ever had) and a m2 pro mbp 14 which replaced one m1 mba this january.
As I said, for me there is no predetermined upgrade cycle. When I'll find my current machines lacking I will upgrade. This usually happens every 2 to 3 years but this is not a rule.

Last edited:
Reactions: hovscorpion12

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
4-6 years for me.
Then... hand it down to my sister and I get a new one.
(good excuse, I reckon...) :cool:

Reactions: throAU

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
We've generally kept our Mac's for 6-8 years. The predecessor to the machine I'm typing on (M2 15" MBA) was a late 2013 model that almost made it to 10 years, and would have except for an accident. The "family" iMac predecessor made it 10 years, with a couple upgrades; the current one (a 2019) might not last quite that long. I expect this MBA to last me for at least 5 years and I'd prefer longer.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Typing this on my travel machine -- 2015 15" MacBook Pro, up to date with Open Core Legacy Patcher.

Works smooth as butter!

Macbookey

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2023
I have had the fortune of being able to run my Macs for the full duration of macOS support. After that I give them away to friends, for their kids to use as homework machines or media servers. My longest lasting was the 2007 20” Intel iMac, which lasted me until I believe Sierra in 2016 where it was capped at El Capitan. An amazing 9 year run. OCLP is an option, but I prefer to just make upgrades then. Still working on a MacBook Pro to replace my former 5K iMac for music creation. My Air is doing surprisingly well for me for now.

thmsnt

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2023
I kept my first Mac (2020 Intel MBP) for 3 years.

Tried using an M2 iPad Pro 12.9 for half of this year, but just went and got a new 14 inch M3 Pro MBP and I love it.

Gonna keep this thing until the end of this decade.

AdamInKent

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Kent, England
I remember when I was a kid - our German washing machine lasted for 15+ years ... we drove our car for 10+ years... our TV was used for 10+ years too

Don't ask ME about the longevity of modern products! Its the modern generation plus the marketing and sales IDIOTS that invented the trash and buy new habit that kills the planet!
I replaced a 20 year old washing machine a couple of years back. I swapped my then 12 year old VW car for a new one during lockdown (and it’s still going strong, with its second owner, at 14 years old) and my Panasonic Plasma TV is problem free over a decade after purchase.

Whilst I agree with your general point about our throw away society, it is still possible to keep most stuff running for a long time if you buy high quality products and look after them. (Apple still have much to do in this respect, though I am still running a gen 2 Apple TV and the replacement cycle of iPhones is much improved).

(Another good example is Dyson, who continue to supply parts for old machines for many years.)

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have an M1 Pro which to be honest absolutely does not need an upgrade, though I've been looking at the M3 Max as I might want to add a 3rd external display (which the M1 Pro cannot do).

I also have a late 2013 Core i7 27" iMac which is still going strong running as an iTunes movie server for my AppleTVs (about 650 movies on an external HD) and as a Homebridge server for smart home automation.

Ta_whirimatea

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2023
2011 Mac mini & then M2 mini last year?

Regret buying M2 as its software is a downgrade compared to 2011 model. Everything going subscription which I despise hence no more updates on Lightroom 6 in 2011, sucks 🫏⚽️⚽️’s

Doubt I’ll ever buy another Mac & just let them run till breaking by which I’ll be retired & peeing my nappy!

Queen6

macrumors G4
2011 Mac mini & then M2 mini last year?

Regret buying M2 as its software is a downgrade compared to 2011 model. Everything going subscription which I despise hence no more updates on Lightroom 6 in 2011, sucks 🫏⚽️⚽️’s

Doubt I’ll ever buy another Mac & just let them run till breaking by which I’ll be retired & peeing my nappy!
Have an M1, don't play that game, just use the basic OS rest I delete via Terminal. I buy a Mac is my property not Apple's so I do as I see fit with it, Problem solved...

Q-6

dpny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2013
Have an M1, don't play that game, just use the basic OS rest I delete via Terminal. I buy a Mac is my property not Apple's so I do as I see fit with it, Problem solved...

Q-6
Seems unnecessary. Just build yourself a cheap Linux/BSD box and save time and effort.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
I kept my MacBook Pro 2015 that I bought in 2018 for 5 years. Now I have an MP2 Pro that I'll keep for six years.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there

Q-6
how does one terminal the "on at 7am off at 10PM" settings in Sonoma that were set in Monterey?
there is a sudo entry I discovered on live, but the source seemed fishy,
and this is my MacBook Air which I still love very much...

thanks

dpny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2013
Problem being few are portable and they don't match Apple's runtime on battery nor build quality. Been on OSX for an age so is an easy task to accomplish. Linux I reserve for the desktops or run in VM...

Q-6
Dell XPS 13 is about $1,000 for a really good laptop, Ubuntu installed. But to each their own.

whitby

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
Historically 3 years for a laptop, 5 years for the iMac. However trade in on Apple Silicon Mac’s is awful and the bottom has fallen out of the old iMac market (since they killed the 27” iMac), so likely to keep Apple Silicon laptops much longer ~5 years) and for desktop moving back to Windows since the Studio solution is not worth it.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
With Apple silicone now available for three years, is it a feasible option to upgrade yearly or maybe every other year? The specs and design upgrades are minimal, so how long do you plan to stick with your current devices before considering an upgrade?
See my signature.
Also: I have been using MSWindows emulation for a long time,
but the emulation traject 16-bits > 32-bits > 64-bits > MacOS Intel64 > MacOS Silicon is too raggy:
more and more errors appear in those applications.
So, why still longer keep those old Intel machines; time for new applications on Silicon.
Btw.: APPLE computers just last too long. You only replace them when you get no more updates ...
;JOOP!

Reactions: MacPowerLvr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.