Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CptSky

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
Around 10 years.

- Macbook Pro 2009
- Macbook Pro 2015 -- bought used in 2019 (replacing the previous one), still in use
- Mac Pro 2013 -- still in use

Both will get replaced by new ARM Macs in the next 1-2 years probably. Security patches will soon stop, and I'm not sure if I'll bother using patched macOS versions to run on it (as I no longer need an up-to-date Xcode).

Reactions: Burnincoco

_justbecause

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2023
Still using a 2015 Air (Monterey) & 2012 Pro (Patched-Sur) quite regularly. Thinking of upgrading to a M-series MBA or MBP near the end of the year. Just don't see the need right now as both service me well for my current requirements.

M-series would just future proof me with updates, etc.

Reactions: rb2112

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
I'm using my 2015 MBP and MBA with Sonoma 14.3 installed and don't see the need to upgrade to anything else for my usecase. I have no complaints with either of my laptops so it will be some time before I consider upgrading. Perhaps when I can no longer do system/security updates.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
My last Mac was 13 years old, so I hope to keep my new one at least 10 years. But with Apple being a low quality brand now, I think it won't be possible anymore. They also want to sell these devices, they have no interest in you keeping your computer for 10 years.

Reactions: Altis and Macdctr

blakesail

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
Current:
M1 Air 13" 2020 - may replace when the new (small) M3 Air is available, but it's still doing the job for me, and I even extended Apple Care another year on it. So 4 years and counting on the Air.

Intel iMac 27" 2019 - I was hoping and praying for a M3 iMac 27" this year... I'm spoiled by the big 27" screen, and was just deflated when Apple confirmed they're not going that direction. Oh well... 5 years and still counting. Good times here.

Moreplease

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2024
I’ve been using Macs since the iBook G3 ‘Snow’ of 2001.

Back then Apple was a comparatively tiny company. Their hard detail engineering was not as good as it became. Their computers were loaded with discrete parts that failed for numerous common reasons.

My particular iBook developed a flaky power connector and other problems. It was a creaky plastic affair from the beginning.

Then I was a poor student and, after that new iBook, went through a series of used laptops that developed bad power converters, logic boards, optical drives, GPU solder joints, USB ports, you name it. One of them randomly went to sleep because of a bad ambient light sensor (from memory).

I was especially fond of a 12-inch PowerBook G4 1.33 GHz (that I bought with 256 MB of RAM but ‘maxed out’ to 1.25 GB). I fitted a roomy 60 GB 7200 RPM Hitachi 7K100 drive too. Those were the days … until the screen started glitching.

My point is that I changed laptops often, because they broke often.

Then there was the architecture switch to Intel that made PowerPC obsolete overnight. I held out until the aluminium unibody MacBook with LED backlighting in late 2008, which was a huge leap forward in the quality and durability of Apple laptops.

However, Retina displays arrived in 2012 and were incredibly compelling if you worked with type. So I upgraded in 2013 for that reason. The rest of my five-year-old laptop was still perfect.

Thereafter improvements slowed to a trickle until the next architecture change to Apple Silicon.

So my ownership duration trend has increased from months to about five years, with major technological step changes being the driver now.

cawgijoe

macrumors regular
May 23, 2017
Virginia
MBA 2020 Intel i5 with 16gb ram. My first ever Mac. Works great, however I will likely trade it in for an MBA M3 when they are released.

hpucker99

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2009
My first Apple aptop was a 2011 15" model. Bought a 2018 13" model, which had the bad (but not awful) keyboard with no SD card slot. Was going to keep it 5 years or so, but when I saw the 2021 14" M1 PRO model with redesigned keyboard and the SD slot, I bought it the first night possible. Sold the 13" model to Gazelle dumping that piece of wreckage on someone else. Enjoy the 2021 14" very much, will keep it until 2025 or 2026.

Reactions: WC7

neo_cs193p

macrumors regular
May 17, 2016
2007 Macbook Core 2 Duo (white plastic)
2010 Macbook Air 11.6" 1st gen
2013 Macbook Pro 13" retina
2016 Macbook 12" 1st gen
2019 Macbook 12" last gen
2022 Macbook Air M2

Many of them with RAM/storage upgrades. All of them in the ballpark of $1500.

I think of the laptop lifetime as 6 years. I keep it for 3 years, then sell it for half price and buy a new one for more or less the same money.
This way, if laptops cost X, instead of paying X every 6 years, I pay X/2 every 3 years. So I get to renew my machine twice more often. And I don't need to invest in battery replacements etc.

Kingcoherent

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2022
I’ve had five since my titanium PowerBook G4, apart from my most recent m2 air they’ve been the punchiest on offer which is why they’ve lasted almost five years each. The air will prob get replaced with a 14inch pro once they move to 2nm. Possibly sooner as the Air struggles with ai tasks - need the 128gb ram and a proper gpu!

Reactions: WC7

Moreplease

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2024
I think of the laptop lifetime as 6 years. I keep it for 3 years, then sell it for half price and buy a new one for more or less the same money.
This way, if laptops cost X, instead of paying X every 6 years, I pay X/2 every 3 years. So I get to renew my machine twice more often. And I don't need to invest in battery replacements etc.
That makes sense and I do something similar with my digital cameras.

With Macs I haven’t managed to do this, in part because there is a lot of friction in changing a computer. First in securely decommissioning your machine (which has got much worse over the years with all the subscription services, software verification schemes, cloud accounts, etc.), then selling it (to potentially flaky private buyers if you want the best price), then buying and setting up your new machine, and then getting used to using it.

Reactions: rb2112 and WC7

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
With Macs I haven’t managed to do this, in part because there is a lot of friction in changing a computer. First in securely decommissioning your machine (which has got much worse over the years with all the subscription services, software verification schemes, cloud accounts, etc.), then selling it (to potentially flaky private buyers if you want the best price), then buying and setting up your new machine, and then getting used to using it.
Agree with this - what also adds to this dynamic is that the Apple trade-in values for Macs I think is substantially below secondary market values, whereas things like iPhones tend to be a smaller gap. So almost certainly to get even reasonable value for your Mac, you need to sell on Ebay/Swappa or something similar, which adds to the risk / hassle factor of updating more frequently.

Reactions: Moreplease

rb2112

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2021
I have an occasional use for a laptop - I have a MBP that I bought in December 2013. Still works very well and no need to upgrade it. It's lovely to see the new models but I just don't need them.

My main machine is a 2018 Mac mini. I upgraded the memory to 64gb and, again, it does everything I need. Might get a studio when the M5 Max comes out...
This is me too, I have a 2012 MBP 15 that still works and is my AV machine, no need to upgrade and main PC is a 2018 Mini same spec. They just work so well.

One change, although I didn't NEED it, I have a M2 13 pro because I write/type when away from home and for future traveling/on-the-road computer. Truthfully it could have been any laptop I just love the insane battery life and portable form factor, sleek and small.

I agree, the new models are neat to see, and quite impressive, but the need is not there.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
M1 MBA was three years old when I upgraded to M3 Max MBP 14. TBH, the M1 MBA would've been fine for another year (possibly two) but Space Black triggered an early upgrade. That said, my daughter still uses my old early-2015 rMBP 13 for school work, so that's almost 10 years old with very good battery life still. I expect this M3 Max will last me 7-8 years, or more, unless the battery gives out.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I typically buy base spec MBAs and keep them for ~5 years. But, it can vary;

2012 base MBA for my son's laptop program. He kept it for 7 years through middle school and high school. Bought a new base MBA for college.

2013 base MBA for daughters college. She kept it through undergrad and another 4 years, so 8 years of use. Bought a new 2021 M1 MBA for her graduate school.

2014 base MBA for myself because I was impressed by my son's MBA. Kept it for 5 years. MBA still performed well but I wanted the new form factor and display. Also, OS updates had stopped for my model/year..

2019 base MBA for myself to get a Retina display and new form factor. Kept it 3 years.

2022 base M2 MBA for myself to get M2 processor, MagSafe, better camera, new form factor, bigger screen, longer battery life, etc... My prior MBA still performed well but I wanted the new one. Plan to keep this one for 5 years +/-.

Last edited:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I have an M1 MacBook Pro which I'm still happy with but my AppleCare will expire in the Fall so I'll what the 2024 MBP release is--if there is one.

I might be temped if an interesting new feature gets added--but since this is a very mature product category I'm not sure what that would be.

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
My MBP 13 early 2011 is still going fine with upgraded RAM (16 Gb), Samsung 850 Pro SSD and a new battery (replaced in 2023, 12 years of life… always on charger :)) So, when it bites the dust is my answer…

Also, was given free a MBP 13 inches 2015 so I will still use it in 2028 if I am correct (MBP 2011 is 13 years old).

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
My MBP 13 early 2011 is still going fine with upgraded RAM (16 Gb), Samsung 850 Pro SSD and a new battery (replaced in 2023, 12 years of life… always on charger :)) So, when it bites the dust is my answer…

Also, was given free a MBP 13 inches 2015 so I will still use it in 2028 if I am correct (MBP 2011 is 13 years old).
Keep using them as long as they serves your needs.

Reactions: Patrice Brousseau
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.