Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
how does one terminal the "on at 7am off at 10PM" settings in Sonoma that were set in Monterey?
there is a sudo entry I discovered on live, but the source seemed fishy,
and this is my MacBook Air which I still love very much...

thanks
No need can do that in the OS, mostly useful for desktops. Not in front of the Mac right now so cant confirm with Sonoma and as my Mac moves so not a tool I have use for.

This should work
Code:
sudo pmset repeat wakeorpoweron MTWRFSU 07:00:00
sudo pmset repeat shutdown MTWRFSU 22:00:00

sudo is mandatory in this case as you are altering the system...

Q-6

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
No need can do that in the OS, mostly useful for desktops. Not in front of the Mac right now so cant confirm with Sonoma and as my Mac moves so not a tool I have use for.

This should work
Code:
sudo pmset repeat wakeorpoweron MTWRFSU 07:00:00
sudo pmset repeat shutdown MTWRFSU 22:00:00

sudo is mandatory in this case as you are altering the system...

Q-6
thanks, I do want to adjust this and Sonoma dropped this GUI feature in settings aka sys-pref.
then again I will probably return the MBA to Monterey today.

Reactions: MacHeritage

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Short answer, about 3-5 years generally unless there's a really compelling reason to upgrade.

Longer answer:

I got my M1 Air and M1 iMac in 2021 and they're both still doing great. Unless upcoming OS or other software updates start chipping away at the performance, I can't see replacing them for a while yet.

Prior to this, I had 1) a 2014 iMac 5K which I had for about 6 years but the last year or two it was starting to really lag and 2) a 2020 i5 MacBook Air, which I replaced after just over one year. That Air was not a great machine, but I'd bought it as soon as it came out because I'd been limping along on an old 2012 Air waiting for them to release a laptop without that piece of **** butterfly keyboard.

At this rate, it's looking like their replacements may well be M4 Macs? The Air I will replace with whatever Apple's lightest laptop option is -- hoping for an Apple Silicon successor to that 12" Retina MacBook, but not holding my breath. For the iMac's eventual replacement, I might go with an Apple display (probably the Apple Studio Display unless something else compelling comes out) plus a Mini with a Pro processor and a solid amount of RAM. On the other hand, if they ever get around to introducing a large screen iMac again, I would probably jump on that immediately unless it's like $4,000 or something. TBD.

Last edited:

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
It's well overpowered for what I need, but got a brand new, sealed 16" MacBook Pro (M1 Pro / 32 GB RAM) for $1600. Returned my 14" M3 Pro (also an awesome machine!) and put the difference towards AppleCare+. The last MacBook I had, I kept for 4 years... will try and do better this time! And once it's "retired," it can become our family's desktop computer, anyway.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
It's well overpowered for what I need, but got a brand new, sealed 16" MacBook Pro (M1 Pro / 32 GB RAM) for $1600. Returned my 14" M3 Pro (also an awesome machine!) and put the difference towards AppleCare+. The last MacBook I had, I kept for 4 years... will try and do better this time! And once it's "retired," it can become our family's desktop computer, anyway.

The M1 Pro series of MBPs are such quality and bargain in 2024. I can foresee mine will last till 2027 and maybe beyond.

iFoure

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Let's see: my first MBP was 13" mid 2010 in 2010, the second one 13" Early 2015 in '16 and now the third one 14" M1 purchased last year so... 6 years and 7 years between the machines. I'm very confident that this new one is also gonna service well over 5 years 👍 :)

Reactions: Macbookey

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
With Apple silicone now available for three years, is it a feasible option to upgrade yearly or maybe every other year? The specs and design upgrades are minimal, so how long do you plan to stick with your current devices before considering an upgrade?

M3 Max 36GB/1TB will get tossed as soon as they put cellular in Macbook Pros. If there is no cellular, 5-7 years probably. I am enjoying Crossover now, so don't really feel the need for more speed to play older games like GTAV. It runs great.

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
Used my MacBook Pro from mid-2012 for 10 years as my main machine. Increased the RAM and installed an SSD during this time.

Similarly for my iPhone, kept my beloved 6 until the 13 mini was released.

Reactions: Burnincoco

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Back in the Intel days, I'd find myself upgrading roughly every other update cycle (since there were often multiple updates in a calendar year based on Intel's production cycles). With Apple Silicon, I see no need to hop on the rapid upgrade train. There's a couple of reasons for this, the first being that I made sure to spec my current MBP out with future use in mind rather than simply going for the cheapest option available. The other reason is that this is by far the best laptop (Windows or Mac) I've ever owned in terms of battery life, overall performance, and system stability.
I'm sure I will upgrade at some point, most likely when newer generations of Apple Silicon enable some features that would benefit my workflows.

Olv

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
With the current M3 Macs finally being powerful enough to run really CPU and memory hungry Logic projects, I can't see myself keeping this for only 5 years. 10+ years is more realistic (I have 128 gb RAM and 4 terabyte storage internally).

Reactions: Macbookey

mactinkerlover

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2020
With Apple silicone now available for three years, is it a feasible option to upgrade yearly or maybe every other year? The specs and design upgrades are minimal, so how long do you plan to stick with your current devices before considering an upgrade?
Probably at least until 2025, probably longer honestly with the way things are looking right now.

Have m1 max 16 in got in april 2022.

Reactions: Burnincoco

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
I don't really *need* the power of the MBP, but have gotten it because I wanted the higher-end machine. Have been "Day 1" purchaser of the last 2 generations: 2016 13" MBP (first gen of the butterfly / 4TB ports), and the 2021 14" M1 Pro MBP that I currently have.

Still more than enough for my needs. If/when Apple does another design refresh of the MBP line (could see it being 2025?) I might do it again.

These machines are fantastic, and agree with many who say the huge leap was to the M1 Apple Silicon. Unlikely to get that kind of a step-change again for a long time.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
I don't really *need* the power of the MBP, but have gotten it because I wanted the higher-end machine. Have been "Day 1" purchaser of the last 2 generations: 2016 13" MBP (first gen of the butterfly / 4TB ports), and the 2021 14" M1 Pro MBP that I currently have.

Still more than enough for my needs. If/when Apple does another design refresh of the MBP line (could see it being 2025?) I might do it again.

These machines are fantastic, and agree with many who say the huge leap was to the M1 Apple Silicon. Unlikely to get that kind of a step-change again for a long time.
If not needing the power the 15" Air springs to mind. Can upgrade sooner and keep under the cover of Apple Care in a more portable package. Your not wrong regarding the M1, soon as I tried one was a done deal. Talk about lightening in the bottle...

Q-6

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Bought my current 2019 16" mid 2021, got a very lightly used model (had all of 6 battery cycles) with about 28 months of AC+ remaining for $1650 at the time. Extended AC+ on it last year as it still runs fine and I figured I'd wait for M3 at the very least.

Whether I upgrade this year or see about pushing into 2025 really depends on Apple - if macOS 15 has an Intel version, I'll consider going for another year. If not, I'll still hang onto it for various reasons, but it'll be replaced as my main Mac by either an MBA15 or MBP16. I moved to the Pros after years of Airs because I wanted more than a 13" screen, but even with a 15" Air available now I keep thinking about that extra inch I'd lose 'downgrading' now.

On the other hand, the AS Pros definitely feel like a design downgrade to me - yes, I get they run flat out for longer, but they're heavier and bigger in almost every dimension than my current model.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
If not, I'll still hang onto it for various reasons, but it'll be replaced as my main Mac by either an MBA15 or MBP16.
Why? Is there some compelling reason you need the most current MacOS? Is there anything associated with how you use your Mac that requires that you have the most current OS?

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Why? Is there some compelling reason you need the most current MacOS? Is there anything associated with how you use your Mac that requires that you have the most current OS?

I will use older OSes for other tasks, but for my primary machine I will only use something up to date and patched. Yes, Apple does patches for the prior two OSes but they're also clear that they don't fix every hole with those patches - just the ones that don't take too much effort and share code with the current version.

And once they cut off Intel there's not going to be an OCLP option.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I will use older OSes for other tasks, but for my primary machine I will only use something up to date and patched. Yes, Apple does patches for the prior two OSes but they're also clear that they don't fix every hole with those patches - just the ones that don't take too much effort and share code with the current version.

And once they cut off Intel there's not going to be an OCLP option.
But for many, old software is just fine. And vast majority of security holes don’t matter as long as you practice smart communication etiquette (don’t click on unknown links or attachments, don’t give strangers physical access to your machine, don’t plug in unknown cables or memory sticks, etc).

I just feel that there was a lot of artificial fear of obsolescence that isn’t applicable for most users.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
But for many, old software is just fine. And vast majority of security holes don’t matter as long as you practice smart communication etiquette (don’t click on unknown links or attachments, don’t give strangers physical access to your machine, don’t plug in unknown cables or memory sticks, etc).

I just feel that there was a lot of artificial fear of obsolescence that isn’t applicable for most users.

Regardless, Microsoft cuts off Office updates shortly after Apple cuts off OS support - installs under Big Sur already no longer receive patches. Since I use Office, that's another reason to work to stay current.

As I said, I don't plan to scrap heap it, it'll likely remain the host for my music library as long as possible - it'll just be time when I'll move my primary use to a new machine. As it stands a new Pro is already 2.4x to 3x faster, while delivering hours more battery life. Even the passively cooled Air is going to deliver more than 2x across the board.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
If not needing the power the 15" Air springs to mind. Can upgrade sooner and keep under the cover of Apple Care in a more portable package. Your not wrong regarding the M1, soon as I tried one was a done deal. Talk about lightening in the bottle...
Yes, while that's a valid point, given I don't upgrade very often, I: 1) like having the "Pro" model (I will admit to myself that this is a factor, a small one, but one nonetheless), 2) like having 120Hz ProMotion (unfortunately I've gotten used to this as I've had the iPad Pro / iPhone Pros for so many years with it...), 3) like having the extra ports, in particular the HDMI port, as I often will take with me traveling and makes for easy-connection in conference rooms without needing to bring a different cable / adapter, 4) don't like having to deal with selling my old computer as frequently (and I find usually, Apple trade-in values for laptops are particularly lower than "fair market value" on the secondary market.

All smaller points, but combined, I've enjoyed getting the MBP and keeping for ~5 years.

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.