Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankapple98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2023
I exchanged my 15pro for the 15 plus for the battery life / knowing that the 15plus is lighter weight than the pro max but after 5 days of use im finding it hard to get used to the big size when it comes to holding with one hand / putting it in my pockets. Everything else about the phone is great but wondering if I will actually get used to the size or if it's best to exchange for the reg 15 and lose that amazing battery.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
the-office-michael-scott.gif

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I exchanged my 15pro for the 15 plus for the battery life / knowing that the 15plus is lighter weight than the pro max but after 5 days of use im finding it hard to get used to the big size when it comes to holding with one hand / putting it in my pockets. Everything else about the phone is great but wondering if I will actually get used to the size or if it's best to exchange for the reg 15 and lose that amazing battery.
In February 2015 I shifted from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6 Plus. Adjusting to the size took me less than five minutes and I will never return to smaller phones.

I moved on to the 6s Plus and now the 11 Pro Max. I like large phones. I wear Dickies Carpenter pants or shorts daily and have no issues with pockets. I frequently carry both my 11PM and my 6s Plus in those pants/shorts and have never had any problems. But I'm not in any sort of environment that requires casual dress clothes and never have been. Also, I don't sit on my phones. They go in specific spots depending on where I am.

Lastly, I don't use my phones one handed either. As I've said here many times, I am not explaining to my wife how I tried to be slick and one-hand a ~$1000 phone and then dropped it. Two hands, always - especially because I can't do that thumb thing every one else seems able to do. Attempting that risks fate.

So, as to how long this will take you, IDK. Depends on you and on your expectations. If you expect to handle a larger phone in the same way you handle smaller phones then it's going to take you a while.

PS. I don't use cases either, so dropping a phone can have consequences.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
It took me about a week with the 15 Plus (coming from a non pro 13). However, my next phone I think I’ll be going back to the smaller model.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
For me few minutes. And I (m) got small girl hands. And I prefer the max size after rocking the pro 6.1" for a long time. Anytime I hold the smaller 6.1" phone now it feels dinky.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I went from the 12 mini to the 14 Pro last year. Still not used to the size. Got to handle a mini again the other day, felt perfect. I can't imagine moving up another size tier.

Reactions: arc of the universe

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
I compromised and went from my 13 mini to a 15 Pro. Living with it just as I did with my old 11, but the mini will always be the ideal size for me. I'd go back in a heartbeat if Apple made a mini with the same features as the Pro.

That said, it didn't take too long to get used to the larger phone. It still is harder to use 1-handed and tends to fall/slide off of uneven surfaces (like my legs) more easily. I do enjoy the better battery life, and I'd certainly miss ProMotion and the better cameras if I went back to my 13 mini.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
15 Plus is this year's best phone, IMO. 14 Plus is actually also good (certainly better color choices).

Make sure you get a slim case. Keep in mind that Apple's leather cases for the 14 Plus still fit the 15 Plus. They keep the phone light and usually add some grippiness, which is nice (not all the cases are identical).

aue123

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
i’ve been using the PM exclusively since the 11PM, 13PM, 14PM, 15PM .. whenever i hold friends normal pro they feel like a mini. maybe i just have larger hands 🤷‍♂️. i will admit the weight is something you won’t get used to. but the 15 changed that, i don’t even think about the weight anymore.

Reactions: Devyn89

mcled53

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2022
West of the Cascades
For me it was the abilty to actually read a book on the 'max' while flying or sitting in a Dr. office. I do have an iPad but it IS too big on a plane unless you're in 1st class. The 'max' does fit in my front blue jeans pocket. It's not comfy but it does fit. Single-handwise, it's harder but doable.

• Haha
Reactions: _karrol

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Years ago, I tried a 6S Plus size, against my better judgement, just to see. There was no getting used to it - it simply didn't work. Luckily I came to my senses quick enough to return it.

I always use a hard case, always in a belt-clip. The Pro Plus flopped around, bumped and snagged on things worse than the regular size. I expect to use a phone one-handed, as my other is occupied with tools, horses, a mouse or a safety strap. The Plus size is just to broad to operate safely one-handed. I never game or watch video on the phone. I use the camera sometimes, but again, better if I can do so one-handed.

Phone needs to work for me, not the other way around.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I was shocked MacRumors would allow this title to stand because when my girlfriend and I began dating that's what she said. But I see what you mean now. Yeah, I think most people would get used to it in a few days to weeks. Some have gone back to smaller phones but not that the bigger ones made them miserable.

Last edited:

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I went from Pro to Max and it took about a minute to adjust. But I do have XL hands. No steenking case...

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
It really depends. The designs of the phone I notice can make or break you.

I feel uncomfortable holding say an iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation) but I have no issues holding a Moto G Play (5.5 inch with its more boxy design).

My iPhone 15 PM is a bit more challenging to use at times due to it's design compared to my iPhone 11.

But i don't really struggle much. Usually after a day or two, I adjust. I played with my old iPhone 4 recently that i found and awkward at first, i quickly had muscle memory and it was not too hard

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
15 Plus is this year's best phone, IMO. 14 Plus is actually also good (certainly better color choices).

Make sure you get a slim case. Keep in mind that Apple's leather cases for the 14 Plus still fit the 15 Plus. They keep the phone light and usually add some grippiness, which is nice (not all the cases are identical).
Apple leather cases were a sticky mess, over priced trash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.