Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I exchanged my 15pro for the 15 plus for the battery life / knowing that the 15plus is lighter weight than the pro max but after 5 days of use im finding it hard to get used to the big size when it comes to holding with one hand / putting it in my pockets. Everything else about the phone is great but wondering if I will actually get used to the size or if it's best to exchange for the reg 15 and lose that amazing battery.

‘How long varies by the individual. Some may never get used to it. For me, I would never go back to a “normal” sized phone. Love my ProMax.

sleeptodream

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2022
I recommend trying the mag safe pop socket if you haven’t already (assuming your case is mag safe or you go caseless). The larger phones are always going to require 2 handed use though, and yeah it doesn’t feel great in a pocket lol. I keep my phone in my back pocket and just take it out when I sit down.

I never got used to it though, I downsized this year after having a Max the last 2 years

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Moved from a 12 mini to a regular 15 two months ago and all is fine. The actual transfer over between the two iPhones was funny, as I was using them side by side, but once this was done I pretty much forgot about the mini the next day.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Haven't had the Max sized iPhone since the 7 Plus prior to my 15 Pro Max. Had the XR -> 11 Pro -> 13 Pro -> 15 Pro Max. It took me less than a day to get used to the size. It's hard to go back to a smaller display size if you can acclimate to the larger display.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
Pretty big hands here, so no usability issues. I've had to stop wearing certain trousers and jeans, though, because the Pro Max doesn't fit in the pockets. I can't comfortably sit in some! It's getting less noticeable squashed into the bigger pockets now, but I have to remove it to tie shoe laces 😅 Was worried for the first weeks that it would annoy me so much I'd end up replacing it.

Edit: Every time I pick up my work SE2 it's like "wow! This thing is tiny". I'm not sure I'd opt for a massive phone again in the future, though I like the screen size and battery life.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
I exchanged my 15pro for the 15 plus for the battery life / knowing that the 15plus is lighter weight than the pro max but after 5 days of use im finding it hard to get used to the big size when it comes to holding with one hand / putting it in my pockets. Everything else about the phone is great but wondering if I will actually get used to the size or if it's best to exchange for the reg 15 and lose that amazing battery.
Nice to see you got your exchange :)

If the phone is causing you physical pain to hold then take it back. But you should find you adapt pretty quickly to the point that the larger display becomes normalised and the regular 6" model looks tiny.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The Plus size is just to broad to operate safely one-handed.
I think this is in large part why most people have a problem with the larger iPhones. There seems to be an expectation by a lot of people to be able to use a phone with one hand. I don't understand that because this has never been me. Two hands with expensive and/or fragile stuff.

But I don't need to understand because other people are different. I do think however, that those intending to get and use the larger iPhones should also understand that they need to modify how they handle larger phones and change their expectations. If you are capable of handling a Plus or Max size phone safely with one hand, good for you. But no one should expect to handle a larger phone in the same way they would a smaller phone. It's not the same.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I went from the XR to the 11 PM back in 2019. It took me a few days to get used to the larger size. However if you can’t, then the 15 is really a solid option. It lasts longer than the 15 Pro and it’s so much better in the hands. Give it a few days before deciding on what to do.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
You should return the phone and get a size that works for you.

Reactions: Slix

MrMojo1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
New England
Depends on the person.
Anyone who's owned a larger iPhone like the 6s Plus or 8 Plus will be used to the Pro Max model since it's basically similarly sized.
Anyone else coming from a smaller size iPhone should know within a few days after trying it out.

JinxVi

Suspended
Dec 13, 2023
We told you the iPhone Mini was the ideal form factor, but you bought huge phones anyway. Now you've got to live with the market customer demand created.

• Sad
Reactions: Slix

wave84

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
If you dislike it, you will never adapt completely.
The XR was my most hated iPhone, after just 1 year with it i switched to the 11 Pro, which was perfect.
Now I upgraded from the 11 Pro to the 15 Pro and I'm hating it a bit... the 11 Pro was much more comfortable, despite the identical size, because of the rounded edges.

On a side note, I find the camera also to be a downgrade. So much processing and all the pictures come out heavily modified, even compared to the preview. That didn't happen on the 11 Pro. Skin tones especially are way off, very grayish/blue.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
I have tiny hands, yet I have no problem with my 14 Pro Max. I personally prefer the larger size of the Max's screen. However, both of these issues (size when holding the device and size of screen) are deeply personal, so YMMV.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Depends on the person and what they value in a phone.

I have had a 6 since 2017 and got the SE 2nd get in 2020 and I still don't like how big this phone is. I could never get used to a Plus/Max.

Reactions: Sorinut

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
I have the 13ProMax. I love the bigger screen. I had 6s+ previously, and a 5 before that, and a 3GS before that. I loved that 6s+. This 13ProMax is bigger and heavier and thicker/squarer than that. I use one handed frequently(all the time). I now have what my doc calls golfers elbow in my right elbow(I'm right handed), and I don't golf but maybe once a year. It's very painful and affects daily life. Can't pick up grandkids much, or stuff at work without it just killing me.. Have to take an Advil every morning to get through the day somewhat. I am theorizing, that because it seems to have started a while after I got the 13max, that's what has caused this. I'm over 55 so yeah, things take longer to heal/resolve itself than younger folks. I have to consciously refrain from using right hand exclusively for holding/using the phone(I watch alot of video on it, hours at a time). So when I do hold it for long periods watching video, I have to grip it with back of hand facing me in a C shape or prop up with left hand. Usually I hold it with right hand(landscape), palm up fingers facing left with phone cradled in hand. I believe it's that position for hours on end day after day that caused this. If you're young, this may not affect you. If you're older, it might, if you use the phone alot like I do.

Last edited:

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
the-office-michael-scott.gif
Came here to find this. Was not disappointed that it was the first post. Bravo.

Reactions: bigjnyc

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
Now when you’ve tried big one it might be hard to go back. Everything else will feel small.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I temporarily had a 6 plus as work phone. The only downside I found was finding a pocket to carry it in - not good in trousers and I rarely wore any form of jacket. Had it been my own choice, I'd have kept it.

But have just gone up to a 15PM and very happy to, at last, have a bigger phone. Life has changed and find myself wearing a bodywarmer a lot of the time, or an outdoor jacket, both have inside pockets which are great for a phone.

I have quite wide hands - which make partner's hands look tiny. Maybe that helps?

Last edited:

Tripps9000

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2021
Moved from a 12 mini to a regular 15 two months ago and all is fine. The actual transfer over between the two iPhones was funny, as I was using them side by side, but once this was done I pretty much forgot about the mini the next day.
I did the same thing as you but went with the regular 14 it did not take me long to get use to the 6.1 inch iPhone not a big fan of the 6.7 inch iPhones just to big and uncomfortable to use.

Reactions: one more

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
Would never want a phone that I wasn't able to use one handed. I might choose to do things like type two handed when possible because it's faster, but when I'm carrying something in one hand I still want to be able to send a text. My 15 Pro Max stretches the limit, but my hands are just about big enough. If they weren't, I'd find it limiting and annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.