Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I just realized that we are using 16 AirTags in my household and to be honest I had no idea I had even bought that many lol. These little bugers are addicting I guess….. curious to see how many you guys are using? Wondering if this is overkill or common…. For context it’s 4 of us… Me, wife, 2 kids…. The AirTags are spread out on keys (house and cars), kids book bags, 2 luggage, tv remotes, etc.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I bought a pack of four on launch day. I've got one on my keyring, one sitting in the centre console of my car and my wife has one on her keyring. The last one is still in the box.
Neither of us have ever lost our keys ever. I've never lost my car.
I bought them because they were something new and shiny.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I bought a pack of four on launch day. I've got one on my keyring, one sitting in the centre console of my car and my wife has one on her keyring. The last one is still in the box.
Neither of us have ever lost our keys ever. I've never lost my car.
I bought them because they were something new and shiny.

That's how I started out, bought one pack because it was the new shiny thing... but then just kind of kept piling on subconsciously, And it's funny because before this we had tiles but only used 3 of those.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
That's how I started out, bought one pack because it was the new shiny thing... but then just kind of kept piling on subconsciously, And it's funny because before this we had tiles but only used 3 of those.
And the important question. Be honest now, have you ever actually had to use them to find something you've lost? :D

• Haha
Reactions: msackey

cmsdock

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
And the important question. Be honest now, have you ever actually had to use them to find something you've lost? :D
It's definitely helped out when looking for a bag or that quick reminder you left something behind. My household uses nine of them. But when they came out I got them for my parents and grandparents and they like them as well. it defiantly has come in handy. It's been just set it and forget it until the battery after about a year runs low. however replacing the battery was very simple.

Reactions: bigjnyc

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I only have a few. When it was released, I only bought one. I've had to add a few more, so I have just been buying the individuals. Wish I would've just purchased the 4 pack, lol.

R_Allonce

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2022
Wow 16 is a lot. I only use two, one for my bag full of valuables and the second for my car (I live in NYC)

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
I use my airtags frequently to find my misplaced wallet and remote. I also use it to find my cat or dog if I don't know where they ran off to.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Is 16 the max amount of AirTags you can have tied to your apple ID? Thought I heard that somewhere.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Wow 16 is a lot. I only use two, one for my bag full of valuables and the second for my car (I live in NYC)

I started off like that as well, just a single for my keys, and added another for my car keys. Then when I was prepping for a trip, I picked up a couple for my luggage.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Is 16 the max amount of AirTags you can have tied to your apple ID? Thought I heard that somewhere.
I haven’t read that. But they are split between me and my wife so I don’t don’t have all 16 on my account

shinemoon

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2019
I bought a 4 pack. Gave one to a friend. 2 is in our car (attached to my phone & my brothers). One is in my desk which i use on need basis..

If anyone is aware do we need iPhone to activate the AirTag or it can be done using MacBook / iPad / Apple Watch…

Reactions: SpecB

Topaz47

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2022
I bought a 4 pack. Gave one to a friend. 2 is in our car (attached to my phone & my brothers). One is in my desk which i use on need basis..

If anyone is aware do we need iPhone to activate the AirTag or it can be done using MacBook / iPad / Apple Watch…
You can use an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 14.5 or iPadOS 14.5 or later and two-factor authentication turned on, as well as location services.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Surprised how many people say they are using them on their car. Do you not use CarPlay?

Panties Hank

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2022
Me: My work bag, my keys, and an extra that that stays in my winter jacket pocket in the winter and variable use during the other seasons.

Wife: Keys, purse.

Kids: Book bags, wallets.

Topaz47

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2022
Danny842003, Carplay does not track your car if it is stolen. With Carplay you can use maps, unlock your car with your iPhone, listen to music, send and receive messages etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.