Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Right now, quite a lot. I usually have a personal and work phone and I tend to keep my old unlockable phones for international travel.

Back when smartphones were new and we used to upgrade every year (staggered upgrades on family plan), we would give away our old iPhones to family overseas. Alas, battery is shot on my older iPhones and they’re kinda useless to give away now when people have nicer Android phones

• 2 iPhone 7 256GB
  • 2 iPhone SE 2020 256GB
  • 2 iPhone SE 2022 256GB - Active (personal & work)
  • 2 iPhone SE 2022 64GB - Discounted Tracfone-branded (5G-capable travel phone/hotspot)
  • 1 iPhone 12 mini 128GB - Dedicated 5G office hotspot
  • 1 iPhone 13 mini 512GB - Recently bought an Apple refurb partly for novelty (last iPhone mini). I haven’t even had time to unbox it and I forgot to pack it for our trip. I might replace my personal SE 2022 with this one.
  • 10 Total

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
Right now for me 7 in total but mostly because I’m lazy. I upgrade yearly to the new Pro and Pro Max phones. So currently have the 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max as my main devices. I switch between them as I tire of one. Ideally Apple would release a 6.4” iPhone and I wouldn’t need two but I get tired of the big size and switch for a few weeks and then get tired of the poor battery life and switch back.

Because I’m lazy I still have both my 13 Pro and Pro Max and 14 Pro and Pro Max because I haven’t sold them yet but really should as they are in excellent condition. I also have an iPhone 12 regular that was my moms but she was fine with me taking it when she upgraded to the 14 Pro so I keep it around for backup purposes.

hotr32

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2009
PA
Not including the 4 I just gave to family members, I have 5. Just gave my mother and my 2 oldest kids 14 Pro Max’s, and my youngest got a 13.
I have a 15 Pro Max, (personal) 14 Pro Max (business), and a 12 (work phone). I have (2) 13 Pro Max’s, I guess they are backups for me and the wife, haven’t decided if I’m keeping or selling them.

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
XR (personal phone) and SE2022 (work phone).

I'd prefer to just carry just 1 phone (my personal phone), but using 2 phones has been handy on occasions (ie the work phone could be used as a backup phone, and I've used the work phone as a data mobile hotspot to connect my phone and work laptop to when I've worked overseas).

I've also retired a few iphones...4S and SE 2016. The SE 2016 (in my opinion) is still a perfectly capable backup phone for sending messages, taking calls, browsing the web etc etc...the phone itself just needs a battery replacement.

Last edited:

whitby

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
2 iPhones and a Samsung S23 ultra.

iPhone 15 Pro Max main phone
S23 Ultra backup main phone
iPhone 11 Pro Max for international eSIM use.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Personally…7.

Both my primary and secondary phones have active lines.

1) iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 17, primary iPhone - used every day.
2) iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 15, secondary iPhone - used every day if I go walking or do not want to risk using my 11 PM.
3) iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12, used a few times a day. Sits in front of my keyboard and I use it to text when too lazy to reach over and use my 11PM.
4) iPhone 5, iOS 10, used every one in a while, usually when I need to check that an app will still work.
5) iPhone 4s, iOS 9, off right now. Used infrequently.
6) iPhone 4, iOS 7 jailbroken, off right now. Used infrequently.
7) iPhone 3GS, iOS 6, off right now. Used infrequently.

Additionally, I have an iPhone 6s which was my wife's first. Given to my daughter she managed to crack the screen and trash the battery. Still works, just haven't decided what I am going to do with it.

Finally, there is my wife's old iPhone 5 in the garage. I gave that to my daughter before the 6s. Battery started swelling and I've had it out there waiting for the swelling to go down. Been a couple years.
What with swelling of iPhone battery kept in garage ever consider risk of possible fire down the road?

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I own .5 or 1/2
which means I own a half of one, since I never make or receive calls on the i
Phone 12 mini
blue
but use that as an iTouch or Alarm clock now and take photos.

hey, I went 2006-2021 without one!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What with swelling of iPhone kept in garage ever consider risk of possible fire down the road?
Yes, but it's been sitting in an area unlikely to burn and has not been plugged into anything for the entire time it's been out there, about 2.5 to 3 years.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Technically, I have three, but only use two:

1. 15 Pro is my daily driver
  2. SE3 for work
  3. 14 Pro sits in a drawer, but I need to sell

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
iPhone 15 pro max main phone
iPhone 14 Pro Max 2ndry phone
iPhone 13 work phone
Picked up a iPhone 15 for travel today.

Reactions: Ameer_1

CaptTee

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2023
Florida
I know several people have multiple phones. If you do, how many iPhones do you have and how often do you use them? I have the 15 pro but want to get a 15 to try out since everyone says it’s so light.
Before I retired from my last job (local school board), I had the work one (iPhone 4 then iPhone 6+) on my left hip and my personal on (iPhone 4 then iPhone 6+) on my right hip.
Now, I just have a personal iPhone 12 Mini. For personal phones, I keep them until they die or at least are close to dying or my wife's needs replacing.

Reactions: eyoungren

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Only one iPhone - my 15PM.

But also a Nokia 6310i and (if I remember correctly) a 3210. Would be great if I could leave one of those in the car for emergencies. I always have my 15PM on me, but just in case...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sheesh what are people doing with multiple iPhones now? It's 2023 we have Focus modes and dual (e)SIM.
I hold on to mine because I want to. And for some time I have a good phone I can pass on to someone in need. I'm also a person that believes in one device for a specific purpose, rather than a jack of all trades.

I can hear your thoughts spinning when I tell you I have over 15 Macs/PCs, four of which are right next to me. That doesn't include the two work Macs either.

Oh, and this message is being typed on a 2009 MacPro running Mojave.

👍

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
1. 15 Pro main
2. 12 Mini backup
3. 13 Mini for future
Same as you along with an SE2, 8+ and 6s+. My wife is using my 13 Mini at the moment as her S22 ultra was stolen few weeks ago (she will probably get a S23 FE to replace it).

Reactions: bevsb2

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I hold on to mine because I want to. And for some time I have a good phone I can pass on to someone in need. I'm also a person that believes in one device for a specific purpose, rather than a jack of all trades.

I can hear your thoughts spinning when I tell you I have over 15 Macs/PCs, four of which are right next to me. That doesn't include the two work Macs either.

Oh, and this message is being typed on a 2009 MacPro running Mojave.

👍
Oh not talking about the ones people have at home, or saved etc. I am talking about the ones who carries each and every one of those iPhones with them at all times, with active service. (ie, work phone, personal phone, car phone, train phone, bus phone, Walmart phone, target phone, etc) :p.

Reactions: eyoungren

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
We keep ours as emergency iPods for my wife’s fitness business.

I have a second phone for work which is nice because I can switch off at the weekends but it’s a pain to carry both.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Oh not talking about the ones people have at home, or saved etc. I am talking about the ones who carries each and every one of those iPhones with them at all times, with active service. (ie, work phone, personal phone, car phone, train phone, bus phone, Walmart phone, target phone, etc) :p.

I carry two SE3 256GB daily (personal & work). I have them in my purse so carrying two isn't a hardship.

Last I checked, focus mode doesn't allow filtering by SIM used, only by contact list. Also, you can't have multiple primary iCloud accounts on the same device.

Maybe something like multiple profiles like on Android might work. Focus mode I find pretty pointless since I already have non-essential notifications disabled.

I'm on vacation right now so I'm just carrying one SE3 64GB. The other SE3 64GB is used as backup and hotspot and stays in the airbnb. It's also been useful for SIM card registration before swapping the SIMs to the iPad.

I was originally going to use the unlocked SE2s as travel phones but I found a deal on the Tracfone SE3s for $150 on Walmart. Just need $30 for one month service and they unlock after 60 days (Verizon unlock policy). I figured they're worth getting so we have the option of 5G access at our destination.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketbuc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.