Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I have Panasonic Wireless phone bases that are paired with the SE number. When I get a call, the SE rings along with the Panasonic base phones and I can answer wherever I am.
Oh interesting, so you have the SE just to have a separate number for home? What’s the advantage over a landline?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Could you share with us exactly which Panasonic product you are using? Never heard of such a thing...

I've seen those at Costco before. It connects to the smartphone via bluetooth so they work kinda like a headset

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
I have the 14 pro max, my daughter has the 13 mini and my youngest now has a 6s for games and video (no sim)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I get the feeling OP was more interested about people who use multiple phones and what their usage is like, not people who have a collection of phones that sit in a drawer. Well, I’m more interested in the former anyway.

I only use one phone, but since it is smaller (SE3) which I prefer when out of the house, I wish I could use a bigger phone (maybe 15 Plus) when at home. But there are certain annoyances about using two phones, especially with two different active lines, that keep me from doing so. Instead I use an iPad Mini at home as my big phone, which with Continuity mostly works well, but my main complaint is the iPad is a bit too big to carry around with me like a phone, even at home. Ideal size would be a Nexus 7, which can be comfortably held in one hand and fit into most pockets, but I would settle for a large iPhone.
In this context, I have two phones.

Primary is an iPhone 11 Pro Max and that is used every day. Email, texts, light web browsing if out, some app use. I sit in front of computers and a TV all day so I don't use my phone like most.

Secondary is an iPhone 6s Plus. I take this phone when I go walking for the day. Streams music and allows me to call or text if I need to. Also, Google Chat and work email so I'm aware of what's going on at work while out. I also might take this phone if I determine that whatever I will be doing or where I will be going could potentially cause damage to my 11 Pro Max. I love my 6s Plus, but I'd rather it take any damage instead of my 11 PM.

Reactions: subjonas

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
I am honestly surprised at so many iPhone SEs. I totally expected everyone here was all about Pros and Pro Maxes either current and the years prior.

Anyway for me, 3 iPhones:
iPhone 14 Pro Max (my business phone)
iPhone 8 Plus (my old phone, used by a relative whose tech needs I take care of)
iPhone 4 (my old phone, now just an emergency backup)

Non iPhones:
Samsung Note 20 (work phone, paid by the company)
OnePlus 8 Pro (my personal daily driver)
Microsoft Lumia (before Microsoft gave up the mobile phone market)

There several other non iPhones in my household but not used or managed by me so I won’t list.

I like having access to other OS systems to play and do not wish to go too deep into any ecosystem yet. It also means I can easily stagger upgrades so every year or two I get to play withthe latest and greatest from one company.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
In this context, I have two phones.

Primary is an iPhone 11 Pro Max and that is used every day. Email, texts, light web browsing if out, some app use. I sit in front of computers and a TV all day so I don't use my phone like most.

Secondary is an iPhone 6s Plus. I take this phone when I go walking for the day. Streams music and allows me to call or text if I need to. Also, Google Chat and work email so I'm aware of what's going on at work while out. I also might take this phone if I determine that whatever I will be doing or where I will be going could potentially cause damage to my 11 Pro Max. I love my 6s Plus, but I'd rather it take any damage instead of my 11 PM.
Do you switch out a physical SIM? Daily?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Do you switch out a physical SIM? Daily?
No. Both phones have their own line and thus their own P-SIM.

The 11 PM is my original line, unlimited data. The 6s Plus was added as another line (I have eight lines) sometime in 2017 I think. Originally, I had my old iPhone 5 on it.

The line the 6s Plus uses was originally a 2GB line because I didn't plan to use much data. The charge was $0 a month for the line. But there was a time a while back where T-Mobile was upgrading old capped lines on Simple Choice plans (which I have) to Unlimited Data but keeping the old price. So, this 2GB line got updated to UD at $0 per month. I also get 2GB tethering with that line.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
No. Both phones have their own line and thus their own P-SIM.

The 11 PM is my original line, unlimited data. The 6s Plus was added as another line (I have eight lines) sometime in 2017 I think. Originally, I had my old iPhone 5 on it.

The line the 6s Plus uses was originally a 2GB line because I didn't plan to use much data. The charge was $0 a month for the line. But there was a time a while back where T-Mobile was upgrading old capped lines on Simple Choice plans (which I have) to Unlimited Data but keeping the old price. So, this 2GB line got updated to UD at $0 per month. I also get 2GB tethering with that line.
$0?! That’s a good deal lol!

So when you take only your 6S Plus out, do you get calls forwarded from your main line?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
$0?! That’s a good deal lol!

Yeah, if I'd known early that T-Mobile was going to upgrade capped lines to UD I'd have downgraded my son's line from 6GB to 2GB. As it is, it costs me $15 for UD for him now (because 6GB was $15 on my old grandfathered plan).

So when you take only your 6S Plus out, do you get calls forwarded from your main line?
I want to say yes, but I can't. I've never received a call when out that wasn't directly to that number. And people at work don't call me, they either text or use Google Chat and I'm already covered with that.

Reactions: subjonas

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I get the feeling OP was more interested about people who use multiple phones and what their usage is like, not people who have a collection of phones that sit in a drawer. Well, I’m more interested in the former anyway.

I only use one phone, but since it is smaller (SE3) which I prefer when out of the house, I wish I could use a bigger phone (maybe 15 Plus) when at home. But there are certain annoyances about using two phones, especially with two different active lines, that keep me from doing so. Instead I use an iPad Mini at home as my big phone, which with Continuity mostly works well, but my main complaint is the iPad is a bit too big to carry around with me like a phone, even at home. Ideal size would be a Nexus 7, which can be comfortably held in one hand and fit into most pockets, but I would settle for a large iPhone.
Like I said before, I use an iPhone as a second screen and much prefer the mobility of an iPhone over an iPad. I have an iPad Mini 4 & 5 and I don’t use them anywhere nearly as much as my older iPhones… even for media consumption. This is due to size as, if I am moving around, I like to bring the device with me and nothing is more mobile than a phone.

IMG_1425.jpeg

Here’s a picture of my old setup, an OGSE on a stand. I now use my 6S because it has a fresh OEM battery installed by Apple.

IMG_2128.jpeg

The 6S is perfect for the job. I’ll probably keep using it until I retire the 13 which will then become my secondary device.

Last edited:

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
I have one iPhone 13 mini as daily driver. Dual SIM is used whenever I travel abroad, whether in Europe or Middle East.

Kept my old iPhone 6 (with tough disease) as backup and a completely vintage iPhone 4S as source for music in the house.

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
Forgot to mention: I am actually trying to keep my phone setup as simple as possible. The mentioned 6 is sometimes used on my runs, but otherwise I try to keep everything on one phone for simplicity and digital minimalism.

jagfan

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
JAX, FL area
I have Panasonic Wireless phone bases that are paired with the SE number. When I get a call, the SE rings along with the Panasonic base phones and I can answer wherever I am.
I also have a Panasonic home base and do the same with my IP 6 on a prepaid home line - only $10 a month. Didn't want to lose my 40+ year phone number.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
You are not limited to the Panasonic product. Any corded phone system that has bluetooth should work. Both my Panasonic and older VTech phones work.
Can you somehow initiate cellphone calls from the base phone?

Also I don’t imagine there are any base phones that somehow do SMS messaging (from iPhone via base phone), is there?

AhmetRyzen

Suspended
Dec 31, 2023
Adana, Turkey
I have 30 phones, including iPhones. The oldest is a 1999 model, the newest is a 2020 model. I am a collector. I have Nokia Arte and Nokia Lamborghini phones. N92, iPhone 1, iPhone 3G, Samsung Wave 2, Galaxy Beam and many more

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.