Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I take it you shoot an Olympus body? My O75-300 mkii just arrived today, but I had very little time to play with it.

Yes... an E-M1 mark II. I have the original E-M5 as well, but the Panasonic GF1 with 20mm f/1.7 is the combo that drew me in to m4/3. I've seen some great stuff come out of the 75-300mm.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Yes... an E-M1 mark II. I have the original E-M5 as well, but the Panasonic GF1 with 20mm f/1.7 is the combo that drew me in to m4/3. I've seen some great stuff come out of the 75-300mm.
Yes, so far I’ve been happy with the results, though I’ve only taken a few dozen shots with it. Based on my experiences on m43 telephotos, start with ISO 1000 and watch the f-stop. Still get sharp results and good shutter speeds. The G9 seems to do just fine with it, which was a concern with mixing brands.

Reactions: sean000

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I just looked at my insurance schedule and across all my systems, Nikon F, Nikon Z, Leica M, Hasselblad V and large format I have 40 lenses. LOL

• Wow

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I just looked at my insurance schedule and across all my systems, Nikon F, Nikon Z, Leica M, Hasselblad V and large format I have 40 lenses. LOL

At first that sounds like a lot, but then when you factor in multiple formats and lens mounts... I'd say I've pared things down a bit because right now I'm shooting only one format (m4/3). I will probably add a larger sensor camera back to the mix eventually, and with that comes more lenses.

At least most camera lenses are reasonably small when it comes to storage. The thing my wife says I own too many of are camera bags ;) Most of the time I'm using either a small shoulder bag (Thinktank Retrospective 5) or a small backpack (Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L). I also have a larger LowePro backpack or hikes, a larger shoulder bag with bike messenger strap, and another small Domke shoulder bag.

EDIT: I just remembered a few more bags: A large Crumpler shoulder bag, a very small Crumpler shoulder bag (holds a small camera body with small lens), and an older daily carry backpack that was replaced by the Peak Design. My wife may not believe me, but I have sold a couple of bags as well.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Camera bags!!!! Yes!!!!!! They are the bane of every photographer's existence, as we are always in search of the "holy grail" of THE PERFECT CAMERA BAG and yet somehow never quite manage to find it....

I've got too many, too, stashed here-and-there and yet hate to part with them as through the years I might find a new use for them as different camera bodies or different lenses come along. Right now that's one thing I haven't yet done, is seen which bag(s) will be most useful now that I've gone to just three lenses and a FF mirrorless body. I haven't gone out on any excursions yet, just around home and on the latter occasions have just taken one lens and walked around the neighborhood. I have ThinkTanks and Domke bags mostly, and right now my RX10 M4 fits nicely in one of the Domke bags, so it is pretty much reserved for that camera. The RX100 has its own small ThinkTank case meant for compact cameras. One of these days I'll have to play with my bags and the new gear, see which works out best for which situations......

A funny story: some years ago a large group of us Nikon photographers got together for a weekend in Alabama, and while we all stayed around in local hotels, the home of a couple who lived in the area served as our base for partying and getting to know each other better. The host had come up with the idea of a raffle and we all drew tickets, etc. One guy who already was well-known for how he seemed to accumulate camera bags, won -- yes, a camera bag! His wife, standing nearby, watched and groaned, "oh, no! Not ANOTHER camera bag!!" :D. :D

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Nikon:
f/1.8G primes - 35, 50, 85
f/2.8G prime - 105 Micro
f/2.8G - 24-70
f/4G - 16-35
f/2.8E - 70-200

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
At first that sounds like a lot, but then when you factor in multiple formats and lens mounts... I'd say I've pared things down a bit because right now I'm shooting only one format (m4/3). I will probably add a larger sensor camera back to the mix eventually, and with that comes more lenses.

At least most camera lenses are reasonably small when it comes to storage. The thing my wife says I own too many of are camera bags ;) Most of the time I'm using either a small shoulder bag (Thinktank Retrospective 5) or a small backpack (Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L). I also have a larger LowePro backpack or hikes, a larger shoulder bag with bike messenger strap, and another small Domke shoulder bag.

EDIT: I just remembered a few more bags: A large Crumpler shoulder bag, a very small Crumpler shoulder bag (holds a small camera body with small lens), and an older daily carry backpack that was replaced by the Peak Design. My wife may not believe me, but I have sold a couple of bags as well.
Camera bags!!!! Yes!!!!!! They are the bane of every photographer's existence, as we are always in search of the "holy grail" of THE PERFECT CAMERA BAG and yet somehow never quite manage to find it....

I've got too many, too, stashed here-and-there and yet hate to part with them as through the years I might find a new use for them as different camera bodies or different lenses come along. Right now that's one thing I haven't yet done, is seen which bag(s) will be most useful now that I've gone to just three lenses and a FF mirrorless body. I haven't gone out on any excursions yet, just around home and on the latter occasions have just taken one lens and walked around the neighborhood. I have ThinkTanks and Domke bags mostly, and right now my RX10 M4 fits nicely in one of the Domke bags, so it is pretty much reserved for that camera. The RX100 has its own small ThinkTank case meant for compact cameras. One of these days I'll have to play with my bags and the new gear, see which works out best for which situations......

A funny story: some years ago a large group of us Nikon photographers got together for a weekend in Alabama, and while we all stayed around in local hotels, the home of a couple who lived in the area served as our base for partying and getting to know each other better. The host had come up with the idea of a raffle and we all drew tickets, etc. One guy who already was well-known for how he seemed to accumulate camera bags, won -- yes, a camera bag! His wife, standing nearby, watched and groaned, "oh, no! Not ANOTHER camera bag!!" :D. :D

heh, I have 3 camera bags myself. I only purchased one of them, while the other 2 came with camera bundles. I didn’t buy either of those bundles for the bag, as they usually include extra batteries and memory cards. My last kit came with a good enough ball-tripod, a flash, a 128GB SD card, and an LED backlight, along with the bag, all for the same price as without those things. Hard to pass up those bundles!

Elbert C

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
AK, USA
Pentax:
DA 55-300 4-5.6
DA*50-135 2.8
DA* 300 4
FA 50 1.4
DFA WR 100 2.8
DA 1.4x AW

Nikon:
Tokina 11-16 2.8
AFS 24-120 4
Tamron 70-200 2.8
Tamron 150-600 G2
AFS 35 1.8G
AFS 50 1.8G
AFS 85 1.8G

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Just added the Sony 200-600mm G to the collection of glass.
She's a long one.
Paired with the A7R4.
IMG_0452.jpeg

Reactions: MacNut

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
When I had my Sony a6300 I had:
- kit lens I never used
- 35mm F1.8 lens that I used 90% of the time
- 20mm F2.8 lens that I used for traveling and taking indoor photos
- 55-200mm zoom lens

Sold all that yesterday and picked up an a7iii and a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. Might be the only lens I will ever need but I might pick up a Samyang 35mm F2.8 and a Sony 50mm F1.8 in the future.

cf3ac30cbac6a0e7287ad357059c93c5.jpeg

Reactions: MacNut

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
That's a lens I am lusting after although I am not sure I could actually physically handle it! I know it would be fine on my tripod but there are times I like to hand-hold and that baby looks pretty heavy and pretty long!
I went to one of my local parks yesterday, hand-held the whole time, about 2 hours. It did start becoming a chore the last 15-20 minutes.
I've used the 100-400 several trips handholding and noticed almost no issue. You definitely see the camera shake much more out at 500-600. Once you get the breathing right, you can get some crispy sharp long range shots.

Reactions: Clix Pix

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
When I had my Sony a6300 I had:
- kit lens I never used
- 35mm F1.8 lens that I used 90% of the time
- 20mm F2.8 lens that I used for traveling and taking indoor photos
- 55-200mm zoom lens

Sold all that yesterday and picked up an a7iii and a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. Might be the only lens I will ever need but I might pick up a Samyang 35mm F2.8 and a Sony 50mm F1.8 in the future.

cf3ac30cbac6a0e7287ad357059c93c5.jpeg
I'm lusting after the 24 GM and the 24-105 G.

Reactions: soulreaver99

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I keep thinking about fast lenses and also about the 24-105, which would fill in a lot of gaps but.....my heart keeps nudging me towards the 200-600 and (aside from macro) what I really love to shoot..... Trying not to make the mistakes I did in the past, and trying to really focus (pun intended) on what I have determined would be the lenses that I would use the most, the lenses or the focal lengths that I have already realized really do make my heart sing..... Weighing the pros and cons of buying this lens or that lens, waiting a while, thinking about what I really, really love to shoot.... AAAAAGGGHHH!!!!!

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I keep thinking about fast lenses and also about the 24-105, which would fill in a lot of gaps but.....my heart keeps nudging me towards the 200-600 and (aside from macro) what I really love to shoot..... Trying not to make the mistakes I did in the past, and trying to really focus (pun intended) on what I have determined would be the lenses that I would use the most, the lenses or the focal lengths that I have already realized really do make my heart sing..... Weighing the pros and cons of buying this lens or that lens, waiting a while, thinking about what I really, really love to shoot.... AAAAAGGGHHH!!!!!

Yes, decisions, decisions! I've had that that focal range courtesy of Tamron for my Nikon and it's fantastic to have. You get a lot of flexibility and it's possible to hand-hold it with the various vibration reduction tech out there (body and/or lens). The aperture range isn't super fast on the Sony or Tamron, but again, with VR and/or tripod, plus higher ISO capabilities on the bodies produced in the last 5 years or so, you can usually shoot most things in a wide range of lighting scenarios with reasonable (and in many cases superb) quality. While I don't shoot Sony, I can highly recommend the flexibility that comes with that 200-600 range. Go for it!

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
@Clix Pix surely your RX10 can cover that range while you're thinking about it, and if you find it useful then you can justify the expense of a new lens ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yes, decisions, decisions! I've had that that focal range courtesy of Tamron for my Nikon and it's fantastic to have. You get a lot of flexibility and it's possible to hand-hold it with the various vibration reduction tech out there (body and/or lens). The aperture range isn't super fast on the Sony or Tamron, but again, with VR and/or tripod, plus higher ISO capabilities on the bodies produced in the last 5 years or so, you can usually shoot most things in a wide range of lighting scenarios with reasonable (and in many cases superb) quality. While I don't shoot Sony, I can highly recommend the flexibility that comes with that 200-600 range. Go for it!

It's just a matter of time until I succumb, I know..... Yes, Hugh, I have the focal range of 24-600 on my RX10 IV and have been very spoiled by that. Of course that bridge camera has only a 1" sensor, so while the RX10 does surprisingly well, now every time I review images from it I keep thinking that the image quality would be so much more outstanding with my A7R IV and a 200-600mm lens......

Actually, I just interrupted my post to grab the RX10 and run out on my deck to shoot the geese -- both somewhat far away across the lake and then when later they moved more in my direction, some closer up shots. I did that to remind myself of just what 600 would give me on that particular subject and also later to use as a comparison when/if I do buy the 200-600...... The thought also occurs to me that with the 200-600 it is possible to add more reach by using a teleconverter, right? I probably wouldn't do so but that is another potential advantage.

At the time I bought the A7R IV I told myself that I will use the RX!0 to fill in the many gaps while I thought about other lenses to eventually add.... That was before I'd used the new camera all that much yet -- now I hardly ever use the other cameras, just the A7RIV since I love that one so much.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Well....... As of now I own four lenses!!!! :D

I succumbed. I got in the car and went over to District Camera and looked at, held, shot with, the 200-600mm and decided that while heavy, this is manageable, and so brought it home..... Have to rearrange my armoire again to make space for her to fit on the shelf -- not a bad problem to have! Of course, once home first thing I did was put the lens on the camera again and step out on the deck. The geese were drifting lazily around, but interestingly, word must've quickly gotten around among them that hey, the Human has a new lens...... they swam closer and obligingly posed for me as I began shooting..... :D. They were not in the sun, lighting was sort of bluish, so exposure wasn't ideal, but nonetheless I am very pleased with my results so far.

It definitely is not lightweight, but I am able to handhold it. Actually, on the deck I was able to support it on the deck rail, which helped a lot. At the store I also purchased and had the sales person install the Wimberley replacement foot so that now I'm good to go to slip the thing right on to the tripod as needed.

This lens and I are going to have fun together!

• Love
Reactions: r.harris1

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well....... As of now I own four lenses!!!! :D

I succumbed. I got in the car and went over to District Camera and looked at, held, shot with, the 200-600mm and decided that while heavy, this is manageable, and so brought it home..... Have to rearrange my armoire again to make space for her to fit on the shelf -- not a bad problem to have! Of course, once home first thing I did was put the lens on the camera again and step out on the deck. The geese were drifting lazily around, but interestingly, word must've quickly gotten around among them that hey, the Human has a new lens...... they swam closer and obligingly posed for me as I began shooting..... :D. They were not in the sun, lighting was sort of bluish, so exposure wasn't ideal, but nonetheless I am very pleased with my results so far.

It definitely is not lightweight, but I am able to handhold it. Actually, on the deck I was able to support it on the deck rail, which helped a lot. At the store I also purchased and had the sales person install the Wimberley replacement foot so that now I'm good to go to slip the thing right on to the tripod as needed.

This lens and I are going to have fun together!
Is the goose photo you just posted with the new glass?

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I just returned my O75-300ii for the P100-300ii. It’s a bit faster and supports dual IS, so I took the plunge. I keep saying this, but I think I’ve rounded out my collection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.