Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
My lineup, which has remained stable for a while now, as it covers most of my needs and other hobbies have eaten into funds anyway:

Leica Elmar 90mm F4
Leica Elmar-M 50mm F2.8
Voigtlander Nokton Classic SC 35mm
Zeiss Planar 50mm F2
Jupiter 8 50mm F2
Jupiter 3 50mm F1.5
Jupiter 11 135mm F4
Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Debating on getting a 50mm or 18mm? I'd like to do more landscapes so I want to go 18. But it would be nice to have a midrange prime as well.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Debating on getting a 50mm or 18mm? I'd like to do more landscapes so I want to go 18. But it would be nice to have a midrange prime as well.

I think if you want a midrange prime as well as something which is a little bit wider, maybe a 35mm would serve you well? Right now the widest lens I have is the 50mm macro and the only reason I bought is because it is a macro lens. Otherwise, I would skip the 50mm size altogether, as I tend to shoot mostly in the longer ranges. I do need to eventually fill in some gaps by adding a somewhat wider lens, and I'm thinking either the 35mm f/1.8 or perhaps a 24mm.

Zooms such as the 16-35 do offer more flexibility but, yes, can be as or more expensive than a prime in some cases. For wider than 35mm, yes, for landscapes 18mm would work nicely, or for even wider than that, maybe even 12-14mm.....?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I think if you want a midrange prime as well as something which is a little bit wider, maybe a 35mm would serve you well? Right now the widest lens I have is the 50mm macro and the only reason I bought is because it is a macro lens. Otherwise, I would skip the 50mm size altogether, as I tend to shoot mostly in the longer ranges. I do need to eventually fill in some gaps by adding a somewhat wider lens, and I'm thinking either the 35mm f/1.8 or perhaps a 24mm.

Zooms such as the 16-35 do offer more flexibility but, yes, can be as or more expensive than a prime in some cases. For wider than 35mm, yes, for landscapes 18mm would work nicely, or for even wider than that, maybe even 12-14mm.....?
Im looking at the Samyang 18, Eventually I will get the 35, and I'm looking at the 24 GM someday.

Reactions: Clix Pix

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
[Q
Im looking at the Samyang 18, Eventually I will get the 35, and I'm looking at the 24 GM someday.
What do you prefer to shoot? I recently bought a 9mm (18mm FF eq), and I’ve had a lot of fun with it. You can get a lot into the frame and come up with some interesting compositions. Certainly a special purpose lens, but I’m glad I have it. Granted, it can also fit into a pocket, so it can always go with me, which adds a lot of value.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
[Q

What do you prefer to shoot? I recently bought a 9mm (18mm FF eq), and I’ve had a lot of fun with it. You can get a lot into the frame and come up with some interesting compositions. Certainly a special purpose lens, but I’m glad I have it. Granted, it can also fit into a pocket, so it can always go with me, which adds a lot of value.
Im looking for a good landscape lens. 18 seems like a good range.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
14mm is also good for interiors, such as shooting real estate properties, if I recall correctly.
That’s the one I used. Must have been okay. Certainly did a better job than the ‘professional’ photographer the estate agent sent.
Nikon APC camera and a Tamron lens with a flash.
I used a tripod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.