Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andym172

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
UK
I use mine quite often to speak to friends around the UK. I actually bought an iSight for my sister when she went to uni - paying over the odds for the camera at a local approved Apple retailer - and she never uses the damn thing. Her and my mum simply phone echother all the time... :rolleyes:

y0zza

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
UK
Using it every day, both on iChat/Bonjour and iChat/AIM.

Also been using the new Skype video beta... great for keeping in touch with my SO, since she's away for a month.

2ndPath

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
I tried it once or twice with a windows pc with aim on the other end. This was half-way decent, but not great. But my main problem is that I hardly know any people using one of the ichat supported protocols.

Recently almost all of my "chatting" has been done with the Skype audio chat. So I hope they will release the video version soon.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
dietcokevanilla said:
I do... when it works :rolleyes: :mad:
mpw said:
I pretend mines not working, and describe what I'm doing in graphic detail.....leave 'em wanting more :D
Hmm...

:p

I've never actually tried to be honest. No one I know does it, so I have no one to chat to and I dare say our internet connection is too slow at only 256kb :(

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
dietcokevanilla said:
I do... when it works :rolleyes: :mad:

Same here, which extremely limits the amount of times I can do it, because 75% of the time it doesn't connect. Then it does. Then it stops working again. LOL.

When I do use it, I use iGlasses to improve the picture, it's a great program, it really is.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
i used it only once when i first bought it....that's with Yahoo Messenger. Now, it's just lying there, full of dust...:rolleyes:

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Not too much, but I don't know anyone else with an isight, so that's probably the reason why.

I've done a few one-way video to audio chats with my brother, but I think I'd be more likely to use it if I knew more people with them.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
i don't use mine for chats, i use it for stop motion animation :)

iStopMotion is great, and i think i will keep the iSight FW after i get me a MBP because it's so useful being able to move it anywhere.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
dswoodley said:
My wife's macBook's iSight is sharper I think, but the picture is always dark. My external almost always seems to have better light sensitivity

Exactly. Internal iSights have smaller lenses but they have 640x480 res (.3mps). External iSights have larger lenses so you have better lighting but they only have 320x240 res (.15mps).

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
bigandy said:
i don't use mine for chats, i use it for stop motion animation :)

iStopMotion is great, and i think i will keep the iSight FW after i get me a MBP because it's so useful being able to move it anywhere.
wow, iStopMotion looks cool! everything from Boinx seems pretty neat, as a matter of fact. How exactly doers the stop motion work?

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I never use it, I even had an external iSight and never used that one either. AIM and .Mac just aren't that popular here.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
I bought my external isight with my first powerbook back in 2004 ( before they gave you that cool magnetic mount :( ) so i could video chat with my family when i moved away to school. I only got to use it a few times for that, ,as no one else i knew had an isight. i know loads of people on mac but NO ONE has isight.. *sigh*

so now i just rigged mine up to play with photobooth on my G5, and for using Delicious Library ( which is ingenous :) . pointless almost, but ingenious )

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
I'm debating on whether to get an isight in order to talk with my girlfriend when I go back to school next semester. Well, maybe I won't.....typing lets me delete the stupid things that come out of my mouth:D

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
I am wondering (hoping) that this perception will change and iSight will be used more since it is incorporated into all the new macbooks...

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
All the time.

I use it on a webcam based site everyday. I also get random IM from people who saw my screen name on ichatters.com, and they want to test out their new Macs.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
jaxstate said:
I use it on a webcam based site everyday. I also get random IM from people who saw my screen name on ichatters.com, and they want to test out their new Macs.

random video and IM with strangers really freaks me out...:eek:

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Japan

I was in Tokyo from 9/05 to 1 /06, most of the time. My wife and I used iSight on the weekends to chat, see my dogs etc.. Worked great! We only had a 0.5 Mbps dsl connection at home and a hotel "broadband" in Tokyo. We used a Jabber server to connect. No worries.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
I occasionally iSight chat with my uncle and aunt, who are soon moving out of Chicago, which means I'll now be iSight chatting more. also, my grandparents and other aunt and uncle on the east coast may get webcams tnow that I have the MBP. i also use the iSight's mic a lot for audiochatting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.