Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
I see a lot of comments here about iPod collecting and stuff. It's all pretty, but I wonder how many in this subforum actually use these devices nowadays.

The reason I ask is because I see a lot of unsolved questions, and I think that with every iTunes update they **** iPod Classic users even more. However, everything here seems calm like nothing is happening.

For instance, we lost a few months or years ago (can't remember) gapless playback, and there is no way of solving that in the iPod Classic. How might I be the only one annoyed by this?

Last edited by a moderator:

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
I use my fourth gen. iPod (with microSD card) every day to listen on. But I use iTunes 11.3.1 on OS X 10.9.5, so I don't have to worry about updates screwing with anything. I also use my enhanced 5th gen. from time to time. Both wonderful devices to listen on. The fourth gen. is actually one of my all-time favorite electronics.

Wonderful. I use a modded iPod 5.5G myself, with a 128 GB flash memory.

Sometimes I think the only way of avoiding the constant screws by Apple would be staying on an old version of iTunes.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Wonderful. I use a modded iPod 5.5G myself, with a 128 GB flash memory.

Sometimes I think the only way of avoiding the constant screws by Apple would be staying on an old version of iTunes.
Nice! My 4h gen. has a 128GB as well. I'll probably put a microSD card in my 5.5G at some point, too. It's fun to hear the sonic changes to the iPods over time.

Btw, the 4th gen. doesn't even support gapless (on stock software) so I wouldn't have even noticed haha.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Nice! My 4h gen. has a 128GB as well. I'll probably put a microSD card in my 5.5G at some point, too. It's fun to hear the sonic changes to the iPods over time.

Btw, the 4th gen. doesn't even support gapless (on stock software) so I wouldn't have even noticed haha.

Oh yes, I remember that being implemented only in the iPod Video. It's one of the reasons I could'n see myself using something too oldie, like the 4G.

I never got the preference of some users for the 4G though. It's way too thick for modern standards, not to mention that if it's about the sound, it has the same DAC than the 5G (Wolfson).

Btw, is there any specific reason why you decided to stand on that specific version of iTunes?

Reactions: Avenged110

NorthCarolina

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2018
On The Hill
I've got a 5th Gen Classic that works fine. I'm pretty sure it has the original hard drive, but I'll find out when it dies and I have to replace it with an SD Card.

I use iTunes 12.7.4.80 and the latest firmware it supports on it. It has about 800 songs and most are M4A.

I'm also using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6. Everything works well for now.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Oh yes, I remember that being implemented only in the iPod Video. It's one of the reasons I couldn't see myself using something too oldie, like the 4G.

I never got the preference of some users for the 4G though. It's way too thick for modern standards, not to mention that if it's about the sound, it has the same DAC than the 5G (Wolfson).
The 4th gen. has what I consider to be an absolutely beautiful design with nice touches like the centered headphone jack, rounded edges, and a larger clickwheel (the 5th gen.'s wheel always feels too cramped). I used the 20GB model, so it's almost exactly the thickness of a 60/80GB 5th/5.5 gen, which is a nice size for my hands. Modern standards be damned. The DAC may be by the same company, but they're different chips with pretty significant differences in sound to my ears. While the 5th gen. is not as bad as the newer models with Cirrus chips, the 4th gen. has a yet-still "duller" sound and a very restrained low end. I consider the 5th gen. to be a nice balance between the harshness of technical clarity and the older, in my opinion, more lifelike sound of the Wolfson line. But I ultimately ended up using the 4th gen. mostly for the external design and the handy black and white screen (which doesn't need a backlight outside of complete darkness). It's nice to have the option as far as sonic differences are concerned, though.

Btw, is there any specific reason why you decided to stand on that specific version of iTunes?
iTunes 11 was a minimum since I rely on Up Next every time I use the app, but it also carries my favorite iTunes UI with the wonderful expand-in-place album view. I steadfastly refuse to use Apple's ****** new designs which is why I'm on Mavericks, so no 12.x. I preferred 11.0.5 for its simplicity (and the iOS 6 device icons), but I also rely on the local-syncing for contacts and calendars, which was reintroduced in 11.3. 11.3.1 comes preinstalled with 10.9.5, and all my devices run iOS 6 or older (so no need for 11.4), so it seemed like a nice place to dig in.

Fun fact, I was able to customize the Retina Display .rsrc files to fix the lack of iOS 6 device icons and bring back the old app icon, but couldn't manage to edit the non-Retina one. Ironically, I use my MacBook in non-Retina mode to keep the smooth and consistent framerate, also QuickLook lags less. I know, I'm a monster, but I've actually come to enjoy the slightly fuzzy picture on the high resolution display. Fonts and shadows are thicker.

Last edited:

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I use my 80GB 5.5 gen every single day in my truck plugged into its USB port. I drive it to work and back, lunch and back and on every road trip. So at least 4x daily Monday through Friday and on the weekends, all year long, for the last decade. So it’s seen plenty of use and it’s in there all summer and all winter too.

Yet somehow, despite taking it off roading in Colorado, down tons of pothole filled roads and bumpy flint hills, it’s survived. Still using the original hard drive as well. Though I have a CF card for it and adapter whenever it goes.

So yep, use it a lot. Have over 10,500 songs on it.

Also have a mint 160GB Classic I bought in Aug 2014 right before they discontinued them. Should’ve left it in the box but it mostly sits around on my iHome or in a drawer because I don’t want to damage it. I use it just enough to cycle the battery every now and then.

woodenbrain

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
I definitely use my iPod Classic as my main listening device when travelling especially, and in car. Say what you will, but I want offline music, and a headphone jack. Not interested in stuttery bluetooth audio, or draining the battery on an iPhone to listen to music.

Scoot65

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2017
England, United Kingdom
I only use my iPod when driving in my car.

The iPod I use the most is my 20GB 2nd Generation iPod. I bought it just after the 3rd gens were released, so I've been using it for about 15 years.

I've replaced the battery about four times and two years ago I had to replace the original hard drive with another 20GB HD.

To this day I still look at it and think it is a wonderful design, I love it!

Not bad for a device I bought second hand (boxed) off Ebay all those years ago............

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I saw someone on the Tube (London Metro mass transit) the other month listening to music on their iPod classic. I was definitely a little envious.

They weren’t even a hipster - it was just a regular guy!

I always wanted to own an iPod mini. Still do! Was so jealous of those who had one back in the mid 00’s. Still am!

I guess if I buy the iPhone XR I kinda sorta will? Hmm, maybe not...

togruber

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2018
Hi,
I own every single Generation of the iPods. And I like to use every one of them. But my favorites are the 1st and the 5th Generation. But I really like every one of them.

Regards
Torsten

danimal303

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2018
New York
I love the sound quality and the straightforward controls of the 5th Gen Classic and own a few. When the hard drive dies I instal an iFlash adapter with a CF card. I find the iPod touch's controls awkward and finicky.

NorthCarolina

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2018
On The Hill
I love the sound quality and the straightforward controls of the 5th Gen Classic and own a few. When the hard drive dies I instal an iFlash adapter with a CF card. I find the iPod touch's controls awkward and finicky.
Is there any reason as to why you choose a CF card rather than a SD card?

Reactions: TokMok3

ggoerl

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007
I have a 5th gen running 2 256gb sd cards for a total of 512gb. I also have a stack of other 5th gens I'm waiting on to mod. My next ipod I will probably do a 1tb, a 512gb ssd.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
I use it when I travel mainly. I have two, and they're great for when I can't stream due to the lack of data. Plus I don't have to charge the headphones.

Pedrith

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
Hi. I have a fifth generation Ipod nano with 8 GB memory. I use it everyday for 5-6 hours, in a just as ancient ipod dock. I'm also using whatever version of itunes came with 10.8.3. I have only had to reset it once. On my other drive is 10.9.?? which I use for my ipad air 2nd generation, but I mostly use my ipad for reading and a few games like Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.