Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfrik

Contributor
Mar 21, 2009
Utah
The iPod was the device that solely created to enjoy music, without the distraction of email, Instagram, Facebook notifications, etc. It was a marvel of a music device of its time.

Yes, I still am rocking a 2003 3rd Generation 15GB iPod with touch controls. Still uses it every night before bedtime listening to my college-era playlists. What a device.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I still use one. Three if you consider that I had to replace it twice. One was an HP branded one, but all were/are Ipod Classics with 80 GB capacity, and silver casing.

It's a nicer alternative to switching out CDs and cassette tapes. Nowadays, I travel long distance every now and then, and internet is either not there, or just spotty, so offline and local music still appeals to me.

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
I got an old classic for free, but it seems completely to have failed. If I have time one of these weekends I'll buy a new battery and an sd card and maybe resurrect if for the car.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I thought the 3rd Gen iPod was the best looking IMO. I had a 1, 3, 4, iPod with video and than an iPod touch. Had a mini and a nano at some point as well. My last MP3 player was the Microsoft Zune HD, OMG how I miss that thing lol.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
I stopped using mine about three years ago, something that I never thought I'd do. I've been using my Google Play music library (which is my iTunes library uploaded to google essentially) as the sound quality in my car is just so much better than the iPod, which is a shame as my car (2015 Kia Optima) has full iPod integration, with access to my playlists etc, and has a kick ass 550W 12 speaker Infinity stereo fitted as standard, and it was this system that showed up the poor quality sound of the compressed mp3 files whereas the files on Googles servers are much, much clearer.

I'll probably sell the iPod at some point, see how the prices go on them as they get rarer.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
That's not the iPod's fault, if you put in garbage you're gonna get garbage out. Low quality (128k-160k) MP3s sound like crap regardless of what you play them back on.

I never said it was the fault of the iPod, just the files. My post clearly states this.

My library exceeded the capacity of the iPod which forced me to put them all as 128k files which sounded dreadful, but even when I just put a portion of my library on their at their original quality (which varied from 128-320k), it still didn't sound as good as my Google Play library, so I ditched it.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
iPod 5.5G, 30Gb. Almost completely with music I ripped off of my CD collection, using iTunes. I still buy CD's so I regularly connect it to my computer to add the new songs (on Mojave, latest iTunes). I keep it in the car, still going strong after so many years...

kaosnews

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2018
iPod classic 5.5 with a 256GB SSD (iFlash) - and some other iPods (160GB, 80GB and 30GB)
I used to use iTunes but the last couple of months I use Foobar2000 with the iPod Manager addon and encode my music from FLAC to AAC with the Nero AAC encoder. I love it that you can control all metadata with Foobar2000 - really usedfull!

abrantes09

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2019
Just restored an iPod Classic 5th Gen, and refitted it with a Classic 7th Gen matte black casing

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2017
I use my late 2009 "thin" iPod Classic 160GB during flights because the battery lasts MUCH longer than my iPhone X (I can usually use it round trip domestic without recharging). I use to use it for workouts as well, until I got the 256GB X which can now hold my entire music library.

Last edited:

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
I have four flash-converted iPod 5.5s that hold concerts and my music collection that I take on flights with me. Can't stream on the plane.

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2017
I just wanted to add that when I pulled out my iPod Classic that's been stored over the past year to prep it for an overseas trip it started exhibiting constant errors and disconnects with iTunes during sync, resulting in a corrupted iPod. Attempts to restore the iPod again resulted in more errors. And sometimes unplugging the iPod would immediately show the low battery warning to plug in a power source. Trying all different power sources, from a standard iPhone, the original iPod, to an iPad Pro adapter, it still didn't recognize a power source was plugged in. Performing a manual diagnostic showed the iOS "searching" for the battery. But later on, the battery would suddenly show up fully charged. On and on it went over the course of my troubleshooting spanning several days. Used "thin" iPods that were in pristine (unscathed) condition like mine were going for well over $300 so I decided to first try replacing the battery for $15 from iFixit since 10 years is a very long life span for the original battery. Just completed the swap and iTunes finally restored it completely with no errors and merrily sync'd my 125GB music collection to completion without a glitch.

It was a bear getting the case open; neither the iFixit guide nor the MacSales video techniques were successful in assisting me, even though I had the exact same tools (of which, the nylon tools were just getting torn up and I was no closer in getting the case open). It was the technique used in the DIY video from Mobility and Beyond that finally got me into the sucker; I did slightly tweak a small portion of the side case but was able to massage it back smooth and straight.

Now that I'm comfortable cracking the case open, my next project in keeping the Classic going strong is the Tarkens/mSATA drive upgrade.

UPDATE:
NAH, didn't want to go through the hassle of prying open the case again and risk tweaking another edge since I still have the case open presently so I pulled the trigger on the Tarkens adapter and Samsung 860 EVO 500GB mSATA drive with expedited shipping to have it ready to go next weekend for my international trip.

Last edited:

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
I resurrected mine last year, when I discovered that my new to me 2014 car wouldn’t play music from my iPhone via USB (uConnect). The iPod Classic works perfectly.

Reactions: wur10

BulkSlash

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
I still use my 7th Gen iPod Classic on a daily basis (in fact it's plugged in and syncing with iTunes right now). I've got 500GB installed in it thanks to four micro SD cards I had spare.

DifferentThinker

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2018
Australia
Just got one for AUD $95 ( about USD $65) , it's an 120GB, it has scratches on the front and back but works perfectly, absolutely nothing else to complain about, I am beginning to use it when I have free time.

Raider23

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2019
I just wanted to add that when I pulled out my iPod Classic that's been stored over the past year to prep it for an overseas trip it started exhibiting constant errors and disconnects with iTunes during sync, resulting in a corrupted iPod. Attempts to restore the iPod again resulted in more errors. And sometimes unplugging the iPod would immediately show the low battery warning to plug in a power source. Trying all different power sources, from a standard iPhone, the original iPod, to an iPad Pro adapter, it still didn't recognize a power source was plugged in. Performing a manual diagnostic showed the iOS "searching" for the battery. But later on, the battery would suddenly show up fully charged. On and on it went over the course of my troubleshooting spanning several days. Used "thin" iPods that were in pristine (unscathed) condition like mine were going for well over $300 so I decided to first try replacing the battery for $15 from iFixit since 10 years is a very long life span for the original battery. Just completed the swap and iTunes finally restored it completely with no errors and merrily sync'd my 125GB music collection to completion without a glitch.

It was a bear getting the case open; neither the iFixit guide nor the MacSales video techniques were successful in assisting me, even though I had the exact same tools (of which, the nylon tools were just getting torn up and I was no closer in getting the case open). It was the technique used in the DIY video from Mobility and Beyond that finally got me into the sucker; I did slightly tweak a small portion of the side case but was able to massage it back smooth and straight.

Now that I'm comfortable cracking the case open, my next project in keeping the Classic going strong is the Tarkens/mSATA drive upgrade.

UPDATE:
NAH, didn't want to go through the hassle of prying open the case again and risk tweaking another edge since I still have the case open presently so I pulled the trigger on the Tarkens adapter and Samsung 860 EVO 500GB mSATA drive with expedited shipping to have it ready to go next weekend for my international trip.

I use my iPod classic daily. Either in my car or via earphones. But she’s getting tired and I’m afraid one day soon it will become inoperable. Can you please give me some information on this adapter and mSATA drive you’re talking about? I would be most appreciative.
Thanks

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
A few months ago the CD player in my car gave up the ghost and so I resorted to using my 5G iPod that I've had since 2006 and while things were fine with that I could indeed enjoy my music in the car again, I decided to purchase a new head unit, and now it looks as though my beloved 5G iPod will be getting a well-deserved rest, as the new head unit comes with more options including being able to plug in either my iPad mini or my iPhone via built-in USB port to listen to anything in my iTunes library, or I could still use an aux cable with the iPod but I have the feeling I'll be using the other devices in the car much more than I will the iPod.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I still use mine in my car everyday. I did the iflash conversion a couple of years ago. It’s great. Money well spent. I also like to use it on the plane. Granted my phone could do that, but I don’t have my entire collection on it. Every time I use it I realize how much I miss the click wheel simplicity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.