Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrVitalic

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2020
Simply because the 4th gen photo and the 5.5 gen sound pretty much the same. The 4th gen feel better in hand with rounded edge and is much easier to fix. I got the iflash kit for both so storage size is not the issue.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Simply because the 4th gen photo and the 5.5 gen sound pretty much the same. The 4th gen feel better in hand with rounded edge and is much easier to fix. I got the iflash kit for both so storage size is not the issue.

So is it really about how comfortably you can grab it? :)

Also, I don't get the thing about ease of repairing. I got a 5.5 and did the iFlash mod too. Easy peasy. :p

MrVitalic

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2020
So is it really about how comfortably you can grab it? :)

Also, I don't get the thing about ease of repairing. I got a 5.5 and did the iFlash mod too. Easy peasy. :p
Oh yeah sure :) I’m just not a big fan of ribbon cable (battery and audio jack). And yes, the rouded edge make the 4th gen feel better ahah. To each their own.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Oh yeah sure :) I’m just not a big fan of ribbon cable (battery and audio jack). And yes, the rouded edge make the 4th gen feel better ahah. To each their own.

I feel you. I too find the 4th gen to be the most beautiful design ever, however there are a couple of things in the later iPods that are a must for me, like gapless playback and search.

Reactions: MrVitalic

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I feel you. I too find the 4th gen to be the most beautiful design ever, however there are a couple of things in the later iPods that are a must for me, like gapless playback and search.
The 4th Gen's are a great value, too. You can get them for $20 on eBay if you watch.

Reactions: MrVitalic

Wastedlife666

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2021
I do, yeah. I have a smart phone but for some reason, prefer a dedicated player. I've typically got both on me, most of the time.

I have a second unit with a damaged headphone input, which I plan on fixing soon and upgrading it to micro SD storage as I do.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Happy 20th birthday, iPod Classic!

My modded 5.5G is still rocking on a daily basis. ;)

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
The only issue with the classic is AirPods have spoiled me with no wires. Thinking about getting a bluetooth transmitter in my classic or an adapter.

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2017
The only issue with the classic is AirPods have spoiled me with no wires. Thinking about getting a bluetooth transmitter in my classic or an adapter.

Yea, that has been my chief complaint with using wired headphones (Bose QuietComforts) for air travel, which is the only time I use my iPod Classic due to its long battery life (I can get several days or more from a single charge; perfect for traveling): it gets tangled and caught on almost everything inside an airplane. Luckily, the QuietComforts' cord is removable at the headphones and simply gets pulled out when the cord gets caught, otherwise it would have been destroyed years ago.

Unfortunately, I recently discovered that Apple dropped support of the iPod Classic in Big Sur, meaning no more syncing with Music. Sure, there are other ways to transfer music, which adds another layer of laborious effort to manage, but I want to know what songs I listened to during my travels, to assist me in rating songs, identifying favorites, and weeding out those that I can delete, which iTunes/Music (Catalina) sync's last time played of all songs from the iPod.

Now that the writing is on the wall for me to move on past the iPod Classic and work on milking longer music playing times from my iPhone 12 Pro for air travel (on the lookout for charging stations and carrying a portable battery pack), I've just upgraded to Beats Studio3's and finally cut the wire, so unfortunately, this appears to be the swan song for my trusty ol' 1TB upgraded and rare v2.0.5 Classic...

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Yea, that has been my chief complaint with using wired headphones (Bose QuietComforts) for air travel, which is the only time I use my iPod Classic due to its long battery life (I can get several days or more from a single charge; perfect for traveling): it gets tangled and caught on almost everything inside an airplane. Luckily, the QuietComforts' cord is removable at the headphones and simply gets pulled out when the cord gets caught, otherwise it would have been destroyed years ago.

Unfortunately, I recently discovered that Apple dropped support of the iPod Classic in Big Sur, meaning no more syncing with Music. Sure, there are other ways to transfer music, which adds another layer of laborious effort to manage, but I want to know what songs I listened to during my travels, to assist me in rating songs, identifying favorites, and weeding out those that I can delete, which iTunes/Music (Catalina) sync's last time played of all songs from the iPod.

Now that the writing is on the wall for me to move on past the iPod Classic and work on milking longer music playing times from my iPhone 12 Pro for air travel (on the lookout for charging stations and carrying a portable battery pack), I've just upgraded to Beats Studio3's and finally cut the wire, so unfortunately, this appears to be the swan song for my trusty ol' 1TB upgraded and rare v2.0.5 Classic...
What!!!! They dropped support? No way.

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2017
Not true. I manage multiple Classics in Big Sur.

"Manage" as in Apple's own Music app is able to sync with your iPod "Classic" (4th-6th Generation) under Big Sur? A true "Classic":

81SRMvbXl-S._AC_SY550_.jpg

And not the iPhone-design iPod Touch?

s-l640.jpg

If so, can you kindly describe any special procedures to have Big Sur Music app be able to synchronize with the Classic?

I tried Retroactive but no-go; iTunes (installed in Big Sur) keeps complaining that the iPod is in use by another application.

I could find no verifiable post anywhere that shows a successful sync under Big Sur.

I have two 6th Gen iPod Classics, and neither one I could get them to sync with Music under Big Sur; booting into Mojave, those same Classics sync'd with iTunes.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
D4E639E6-D8C1-4ADF-8989-9510B2B8DC0C.jpeg

I can grab my sixth gen if you insist, but this is even under Monterey. I’ve never done anything special, just using an Apple cable with a Dell USB A to C adapter.

Remember - iPods are synced in the Finder now, not in Music.app.

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Oct 17, 2021
Yeah Same with me in Big Sur, just plug and play with original USB-A to 30-pin.

Finder automatically opens up and its identified in iTunes. Just sync and enjoy.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I still have both my 4th gen color and my space gray Classic. The Classic sits on my desk, strapped to my old reliable Fiio E12 and my Shure 535s. I won't say I listen to it every day but it still gets used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.