Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
This is my daily Driver iPod but funny enough I use it a lot as a portable drive. It is a silver and black, iflash modded 1tb 7th Gen. i just went for it when I modded it. It’s a pleasure to use and is currently full of ambient, chill-fi and instrumentals on shuffle for bed. View attachment 1707232 View attachment 1707235 View attachment 1707236

How smooth is syncing and day to day use? I had a modded iPod Classic with a single 256GB SD card, but syncing on Catalina with Finder became really hit or miss. The iPod needed to be hard reset sometimes. It was just not the old "it just works" iPod experience I used to have.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
This is my daily Driver iPod but funny enough I use it a lot as a portable drive. It is a silver and black, iflash modded 1tb 7th Gen. i just went for it when I modded it. It’s a pleasure to use and is currently full of ambient, chill-fi and instrumentals on shuffle for bed. View attachment 1707232 View attachment 1707235 View attachment 1707236
Nice! I might flashmod my 6.5 gen if the drive in it ever goes kaput. Having 1TB+ of storage would be cool to play around with for sure. :D

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
How smooth is syncing and day to day use? I had a modded iPod Classic with a single 256GB SD card, but syncing on Catalina with Finder became really hit or miss. The iPod needed to be hard reset sometimes. It was just not the old "it just works" iPod experience I used to have.

I have Catalina on a 12" Macbook Retina from 2015. Sync is flawless.No recognition issues. I have used this iPod for intense tasks including large file transfers, bulk/batch file manipulation and transfers, watch videos from it in VLC and even use it to house my music library. It is kind of trippy lol to do that, I have a music folder that is sync'd with 'music/finder' where I keep music that syncs to my ipod. It's like inception. Have not had to do a hard reset yet (have worked and tested it daily for weeks). Also had my 1 year old baby form an attachment to it and she has been bouncing it around like crazy.

It is not as fast for transfer speeds as USB-C SSD drives, but sync is very snappy, compared to the old hdd.

Do you know what adapter is in your iPod and what SD card you are using?

Reactions: oneMadRssn

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Nice! I might flashmod my 6.5 gen if the drive in it ever goes kaput. Having 1TB+ of storage would be cool to play around with for sure. :D

It's a great little project and flash memory i has been so cheap! The cards were $25 each, iflash board $40, battery $10, and the iPod I got for $15 off of FB marketplace :). I am using the iPod as a portable drive to hold some media as an all in 1 part of my tech kit.

Just beware the 6th gen can only hand 128 gb. A function of the memory I believe. Only the 7th gens can handle 1tb but there is still a song limitation.

Here is the link to iflash's compatibility chart:

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerWilco6502

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I have Catalina on a 12" Macbook Retina from 2015. Sync is flawless.No recognition issues. I have used this iPod for intense tasks including large file transfers, bulk/batch file manipulation and transfers, watch videos from it in VLC and even use it to house my music library. It is kind of trippy lol to do that, I have a music folder that is sync'd with 'music/finder' where I keep music that syncs to my ipod. It's like inception. Have not had to do a hard reset yet (have worked and tested it daily for weeks). Also had my 1 year old baby form an attachment to it and she has been bouncing it around like crazy.

It is not as fast for transfer speeds as USB-C SSD drives, but sync is very snappy, compared to the old hdd.

Do you know what adapter is in your iPod and what SD card you are using?
It was pre-modded from ebay, so no idea what's in it.

So you use Finder to sync music to it? And you're using the regular iPod OS, not RockBox or anything, right?

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
It was pre-modded from ebay, so no idea what's in it.

So you use Finder to sync music to it? And you're using the regular iPod OS, not RockBox or anything, right?
Ah, that is a tad risky. There are cheap and dirty ways to flash mod an ipod with low quality adapters and cards. It sucks but that is the reality.

Using regular iPod OS. Use finder, push sync and away it goes.

Reactions: oneMadRssn

mrsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2017
Nottingham, England
I still have, and still use my classic iPod around the house. Alas the battery needs replacing so I cant really use it out the house. Its not my main listening device but its like an old friend that I'm still very fond of.

Last edited:

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
@peapody
Can you put a 1TB drive in mine?
assuming it's SSD.
I've done about 4 now, so would be comfortable, however, opening the classic may lead to irreversible damage to the sides of the faceplate and the backplate - so I wouldn't do it for anyone but myself because of that risk. There are services on ebay though, where you can send your iPod in for a flash mod.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
It's a great little project and flash memory i has been so cheap! The cards were $25 each, iflash board $40, battery $10, and the iPod I got for $15 off of FB marketplace :). I am using the iPod as a portable drive to hold some media as an all in 1 part of my tech kit.

Just beware the 6th gen can only hand 128 gb. A function of the memory I believe. Only the 7th gens can handle 1tb but there is still a song limitation.

Ah, ok! Thanks for the info! :D

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
@Peabody
Please send me the link to these services.

Wow it's $$$ :rolleyes:. Before using any ebay service, I would recommend asking the seller what cards they use and what adapter they use. If they don't use iFlash and name brand cards, I would stay away. For your knowledge, you can spec out a build

Backplate: ~$12
Frontplate: ~$12
Clickwheel: ~$11
iflash quad adapter: ~$45
microsd cards: cheapest i could find was $25 per samsung evo from amazon or samsung.com, so $100 total for >1tb
battery: ~$10

This would get you a brand spanking new looking ipod. If you do it yourself, be forewarned, the classic is the hardest ipod to open. You could literally hurt yourself lol. So if you decide to do it, you might as well upgrade everything.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
long story short, the iPod has a firewire cable, that goes to a firewire 400 to 800 adapter, that goes to an 800 to thunderbolt adapter, and finally the thunderbolt to usb-c adapter that plugs into the M1.
Talk about Tech McGuyver level N :D
I use it a lot as a portable drive. It is a silver and black, iflash modded 1tb 7th Gen. i just went for it when I modded it.

intense tasks including large file transfers, bulk/batch file manipulation and transfers, watch videos from it in VLC and even use it to house my music library.

Actually I am wondering what kinda speed & connection we do get?

I was wondering if I could use an SSD, mainly as an external USB 3/ C storage medium for Media that I dont want taking up space on my Surface Pro or iPad Pro.

And as a side benefit, it may also be a player / minimal functions to make SSD usable outside of needing a Host PC.

I've done about 4 now, so would be comfortable, however, opening the classic may lead to irreversible damage to the sides of the faceplate and the backplate - so I wouldn't do it for anyone but myself because of that risk. There are services on ebay though, where you can send your iPod in for a flash mod.

Wow it's $$$ :rolleyes:. Before using any ebay service, I would recommend asking the seller what cards they use and what adapter they use. If they don't use iFlash and name brand cards, I would stay away. For your knowledge, you can spec out a build

Backplate: ~$12
Frontplate: ~$12
Clickwheel: ~$11
iflash quad adapter: ~$45
microsd cards: cheapest i could find was $25 per samsung evo from amazon or samsung.com, so $100 total for >1tb
battery: ~$10

This would get you a brand spanking new looking ipod. If you do it yourself, be forewarned, the classic is the hardest ipod to open. You could literally hurt yourself lol. So if you decide to do it, you might as well upgrade everything.
Saving all these notes.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Talk about Tech McGuyver level N :D

Actually I am wondering what kinda speed & connection we do get?

I was wondering if I could use an SSD, mainly as an external USB 3/ C storage medium for Media that I dont want taking up space on my Surface Pro or iPad Pro.

And as a side benefit, it may also be a player / minimal functions to make SSD usable outside of needing a Host PC.

Saving all these notes.

I have 4x Samsung Evo selects ( I am cheap) lol. Your mileage may vary with different media. You can see some relative benchmarks here: https://www.iflash.xyz/runtime-shootout-2016-quad-dual-solo-msata-vs-original-hard-drive/. Keep in mind this is from 4+ years ago, and media has improved.

bella2v

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
Portland, OR
I see a lot of comments here about iPod collecting and stuff. It's all pretty, but I wonder how many in this subforum actually use these devices nowadays.

The reason I ask is because I see a lot of unsolved questions, and I think that with every iTunes update they **** iPod Classic users even more. However, everything here seems calm like nothing is happening.

For instance, we lost a few months or years ago (can't remember) gapless playback, and there is no way of solving that in the iPod Classic. How might I be the only one annoyed by this?
My iPod Touch is my main device, and I am still hoping against hope that they will upgrade it. It allows me to quickly check on weather and emails, much quicker than the iPhone or iPad. It's also, because of size very handy and acts as my pedometer. I do not use it for music but for many other things. I could see keeping the size the same but putting in a newer chip and making it the work horse of all my devices.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
My new daily driver :) 1B987D23-C002-422F-A12F-929CFF50914C.jpeg

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I've got a couple of older iPods and started using them in my car and motorcycle when iPhones started getting too big. Both my bike and car are 2014 model years, which certainly isn't that old but it's old enough that the areas they have for you to plug your phone into the stereo are not big enough for a modern phone. But a classic iPod works great and, bonus, doesn't need a signal!

I'm not sure if that qualifies as my main listening device or not; but probably! I probably listen to more hours of music on older iPods than I do on my iPhone.

Reactions: MrVitalic

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I recently refurbished a ipod 5.5 gen thinking that it would be the best ipod ever for me and finally I prefer the ipod 4th gen photo. So to say, the 4th gen is my new daily :)
There's just something about them isn't there?

The 5th gen and up feel like they're in the middle. They're dated compared to new stuff but not vintage enough to have the charm of older stuff (at least to me).

A 4th gen iPod, to me, feels like I'm using a cool old iPod. Moreso than the 5-7 gen stuff.

I'm on the hunt for a 2nd gen iPod to go with my iMac G4. "Period appropriate" I guess, ha!

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
This is, for me, the thing an iPod classic can do that nothing else can do.

My motorcycle has an iPod connector in the glovebox. Easy enough to adapt to lighting but the glovebox doesn't fit modern sized smartphones. Plus, streaming services require a signal and downloading a large library takes up space that I'd rather leave for photos and videos.

Having my music on a dedicated device that won't be changed or updated and break functionality, and will always work on old docks, in my motorcycle, in my car; no signal needed. Just occasionally sync with iTunes when I need to add new music. Awesome stuff!

(Pic semi related. This was a 5.5G iPod that I just got this week specifically to live in my motorcycle. It was going to just stay in it's foam caddy in the glovebox and be taken out occasionally to sync. But; when I got it, it's one that has been refurbished with cheap chinese parts. So I sent it back. But in theory; I'll have an extra iPod that just lives in the glovebox so whenever I fire the bike up, my library is there!)

Attachments

• tempImageVG3So4.png
    tempImageVG3So4.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 520

Captain Trips

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2020
I use my iPod Classic 7th gen in my car.

Much more convenient than the multi-discs CD changers I had in previous cars and much better than swapping out USB sticks (which I did before I started using the iPod Classic).

It has the 160 GB drive, and I have only used about 60 GB. so I have room for a lot more music in the future (and Podcasts).

Jethro!

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2015
I use my iPod Classic 7th gen in my car.

Much more convenient than the multi-discs CD changers I had in previous cars and much better than swapping out USB sticks (which I did before I started using the iPod Classic).

It has the 160 GB drive, and I have only used about 60 GB. so I have room for a lot more music in the future (and Podcasts).
How does it connect to your car's stereo?

Captain Trips

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2020
How does it connect to your car's stereo?
USB cable - the same USB cable I use for recharging and syncing music onto the iPod.

IMG_0241.jpeg

Then the entertainment system / stereo lets me pick what I want to listen to (artist, album, playlist, etcetera) so that I don't have to use the iPod interface to select what I want to listen to.

Reactions: Jethro!
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.