Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodneyp

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2019
Whoa, that is a seriously involved installation! I've read some reviews indication glue 'leakage' along the sides. What's your experience with that?
There are absorption pads that help with this. I forgot to put them in for my Pro max and still had minimal leakage. It was easy enough to clean up because there was so little leakage. It is a process but the reward is amazing. I have installed 5 of them now and find it easier than most to install it just a few more steps.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I used tempered glass screen protectors for my iPhone 6 and X. I once dropped the 6 on an aggregate driveway and it shattered the screen protector. The actual display underneath was fine, but it’s entirely possible it would have been fine without the screen protector as well.

I just upgraded from the X to the 11 Pro and I’m thinking about skipping the screen protector. On the one hand I have worn Apple Watches for years without any protection and I’ve never cracked or scratched one (knock on wood). On the other hand the $10 Icarez glass protector on my iPhone X never bothered me.

EDIT: I remember another reason I started using screen protectors. I often carry my iPhone in pockets (pants, bag pockets, etc.) and don’t always remember when something might be in there that might be able to scratch the glass. I carry small pocketable tools around sometimes.

Last edited:

babygirl44

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
I put a tempered glass protector on my 11 Pro Max for added layer of protection in case I accidentally drop my iPhone. Just wondering, how long does it take for the glass protector's oleophobic coating to wear off? And do you guys change the screen protector once it does?

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I put a tempered glass protector on my 11 Pro Max for added layer of protection in case I accidentally drop my iPhone. Just wondering, how long does it take for the glass protector's oleophobic coating to wear off? And do you guys change the screen protector once it does?

Not all glass protectors have the oleophobic coating. The Icarez tempered glass protector I used for two years advertised one (didn’t use the term oleophobic, but just said fingerprint resistant). I found it to be quite resistant to fingerprints and easy to clean. It never seemed to wear off so I never replaced it. Not bad for less than $10 USD. It’s probably going to depend on the quality of the coating and how you clean it. Harsh cleaners and frequent cleaning might wear it out faster.

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
I used my pro max naked the past month (actually the 27th would make a month), and I had my glass screen protector for the past week and a half.
Before putting on protector yesterday, I noticed two separate thin scratches before applying protector. One was about an inch but the other was almost three inches long. I know the pro max screen is not invincible but I’m kicking myself for not putting the screen protector on sooner.
I inspected screen when protector came in, which still looked pristine. I procrastinated on putting it on and now will have to live with those scratches lol.

Last edited:

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
Had every iPhone (or an iPhone from every generation) since iPhone 3G. Yesterday, for the first time, I put a (thin) case and the Belkin anti-glare screen protector from the Apple Store because the next iPhone gen will be the first I'm not upgrading so I want to make my 11 Pro last at least a few years. I actually don't hate it as much as I thought I would, doesn't seem to be ruining my user experience at all.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey

I've used glass screen protectors for a while now, but I don't use them with the intent of protection from a drop. I doubt they're gonna make much of a difference in that respect, for me it's more for the scratch protection. I'd rather chance scratching a cheap screen protector than my expensive iPhone screen. As far as how long the coating lasts, well that depends on the protector itself and how you use your phone. I can usually get several months use out of one, my wife, maybe a month or two. But then again she tosses her phone in the purse with her key chain and such. I get the cheaper ones form Amazon, they're usually under $10 for a pack of 3-4, so in my book, that's a no brainer.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
On my iPhones I do. There are very good and inexpensive full-cover tempered glass protectors so I don’t see why I shouldn’t use one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.