Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
I never returned one before this cycle because I’ve never bought outright but I bought a XS Max, returned it for another, then went to XS and went to return it on the 15 day and they still took it back, now back to XS Max and each time I was given a new 14 day return date without a problem. Gotta give apple customer support an A+ in this area.

Reactions: ThatiPhoneKid

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
I've seen a thread around here... Dude returned SIX iPhones because somehow Apple's trillionaire QC is unable to produce a phone that would please OP's fine taste.

So I think you'll be fine returning one or two. Personally I'd buy at the physical store and not leave until I'm satisfied with my device.

DanRyb

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Orange County, CA
I returned 4 iPhone XS Maxes for yellow screens. Well ONE of those was an actual dent in the screen, the other 3 were for yellow screens.
The very last one they gave me "somewhat" of a hard time. When the employee scanned it to begin the return, it "flagged" it as needing to be looked at by a Genius Bar employee. I wasn't told why though. Part of me wonders if it's because of how many I had returned while the other part of me wonders if it was because that iPhone was on the 12.1 beta and I was too lazy to flash it back to 12.0.1 before returning lol.
Either way, the genius bar employee was taking too long and the "regular" employee was able to find away around it and process the refund so I never did find out what that was all about.
After 4 returns, I got tired of the process, and concerned that I'd continue to be given a "hard time" if I bought and returned more. I don't blame them, but they also can't blame me in my opinion either. These phones are very expensive and I expect a device I'm happy with.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
I never returned one before this cycle because I’ve never bought outright but I bought a XS Max, returned it for another, then went to XS and went to return it on the 15 day and they still took it back, now back to XS Max and each time I was given a new 14 day return date without a problem. Gotta give apple customer support an A+ in this area.
I've seen a thread around here... Dude returned SIX iPhones because somehow Apple's trillionaire QC is unable to produce a phone that would please OP's fine taste.

So I think you'll be fine returning one or two. Personally I'd buy at the physical store and not leave until I'm satisfied with my device.

This will be the 3rd iPhone I’ve returned in the last two months as my mother returned an iphone which was purchased with my account and also I returned a couple of accessories this month, do you think I will still be fine? Thanks

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
Incorrect, they cannot merely say “no”

You could return a phone every day of the year, it’s illegal for them to refuse your return, however they can bar you from all stores to stop you buying any items in the first place.

Really appreciate this reply, thanks!

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
This will be the 3rd iPhone I’ve returned in the last two months as my mother returned an iphone which was purchased with my account and also I returned a couple of accessories this month, do you think I will still be fine? Thanks
Depends. The person on the phone I spoke with before returning it said if you’re just exchanging for another apple product, they’re more lenient about it. What’s your reason for taking it back?

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018

You could return a phone every day of the year, it’s illegal for them to refuse your return, however they can bar you from all stores to stop you buying any items in the first place.

err.. wrong.

return policies are NOT the law. no store has to accept a return but they do to please the customer.

the only thing that apple is required to do LEGALLY after purchasing an item is make sure it works within the first year (and 2 years in some other countries).

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I went to Apple today to inquire about returning my XS Max, they dispatched me through tech support on the phone right in the store. I mentioned, I was unhappy with the connectivity issue I encountered. Tech support told me I was covered under the 1 year limited warranty. I told them, I wanted to, maybe, exchange my phone for another XS Max, same color, same storage. and they told me, if the issue persists, I again, am covered under Apples 1 year warranty.

LOL... They're pushing the phone on me to keep. And they know I'm still within my 14 day window to return. Is it really that simple to return? I'm somewhat intimidated by them. But I will return this phone regardless. I just don't want them making further attempts for me to keep a phone that obviously has connectivity issues.

Oh and by the way, they ran a diagnostics and told me everything was green on their end. Well, Apple, its RED on mine! LOL.
[doublepost=1540593546][/doublepost]

I got barred from buying hair gel at this beauty supply store I buy hair care products from. Sorry, but the hair gel they recommend to me flakes and I don't have dandruff. I got barred from purchasing any more products. Well, you know what, HELLO ULTA!

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
is it really that simple to return?
That's interesting. It was super easy to me. Walked in said I wanted to exchange my phone for another one as the screen was yellowish. They told me to wait at another table and that I would be helped in a few mins. Less than a minute later someone came out the back asking me what I was in for. Told them literally, "I want to return this phone, and buy the exact same one. I feel like this screen is warmer." No questions asked they brought out the new one, and erased all my old info on the old one. 15-20 mins max each time.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
That's interesting. It was super easy to me. Walked in said I wanted to exchange my phone for another one as the screen was yellowish. They told me to wait at another table and that I would be helped in a few mins. Less than a minute later someone came out the back asking me what I was in for. Told them literally, "I want to return this phone, and buy the exact same one. I feel like this screen is warmer." No questions asked they brought out the new one, and erased all my old info on the old one. 15-20 mins max each time.
It was different from me. They were doing their best to have me rectify any issues with tech support, when I really inquired about returning the phone. Maybe, once I have it all boxed up, it'll be different. I'm returning the XS Max when its super busy, perhaps on Sunday, so they can process me and concentrate on the rest of the crowd. Should I make at appointment for a return?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
It was different from me. They were doing their best to have me rectify any issues with tech support, when I really inquired about returning the phone. Maybe, once I have it all boxed up, it'll be different. I'm returning the XS Max when its super busy, perhaps on Sunday, so they can process me and concentrate on the rest of the crowd. Should I make at appointment for a return?
If you are within the 14 day window, they shouldn’t give you a hard time. I returned 2 Maxes due to the connectivity problems and they had no issues with either return.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
I didn't even make a scheduled return. Just walked in and told them I wanted to return and exchange for the same model. Maybe just be more adamant about it? I have really low patience for employees trying to upsell me stuff or divert away from my original issue for coming in. FWIW I had the phone in one hand, and in the other the box with headphones, charging brick, papers all in there and maybe that made it easier for them. Just try to be stern I guess if you hadn't before. usually what works for me if that agent isn't willing to help, just ask for a different agent. Typically gets the job done. If they want you to talk to someone on a phone, just tell them that's not why you came in. You want a return.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
I didn't even make a scheduled return. Just walked in and told them I wanted to return and exchange for the same model. Maybe just be more adamant about it? I have really low patience for employees trying to upsell me stuff or divert away from my original issue for coming in. FWIW I had the phone in one hand, and in the other the box with headphones, charging brick, papers all in there and maybe that made it easier for them. Just try to be stern I guess if you hadn't before. usually what works for me if that agent isn't willing to help, just ask for a different agent. Typically gets the job done. If they want you to talk to someone on a phone, just tell them that's not why you came in. You want a return.
I was a bit passive. I'll let you know what happens Sunday. Thanks.
[doublepost=1540598678][/doublepost]
If you are within the 14 day window, they shouldn’t give you a hard time. I returned 2 Maxes due to the connectivity problems and they had no issues with either return.
They just kept asking me what was wrong with the phone. And rather than offering an exchange, they dispatched me to tech support. I got the feeling they were making attempts for me to keep the phone. I'll be more adamant when I show up Sunday to return it. I bought the phone in Portland, Oregon. I saved about $100 on tax. They told me, here in Southern California, even if I wanted to exchange it for another XS Max, they would charge me CA State tax. So what I'm going to do is return it on Sunday, and on Halloween, I'm flying up to Honolulu for work. I'll repurchase the XS Max there. I think Hawaii tax is 4.5% over 7.75% here in Orange County, CA. Just me trying to save on a very expensive phone.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I know there was one member who had returned something ridiculous, like eight or nine iPhones, and then when they went to return *another* Apple product, they were denied because they were flagged by Apple. The reality is, the only way you will find out is by trying to return something when they will deny you, which I don’t know if they offer an appeal process or not.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I was a bit passive. I'll let you know what happens Sunday. Thanks.
[doublepost=1540598678][/doublepost]
They just kept asking me what was wrong with the phone. And rather than offering an exchange, they dispatched me to tech support. I got the feeling they were making attempts for me to keep the phone. I'll be more adamant when I show up Sunday to return it. I bought the phone in Portland, Oregon. I saved about $100 on tax. They told me, here in Southern California, even if I wanted to exchange it for another XS Max, they would charge me CA State tax. So what I'm going to do is return it on Sunday, and on Halloween, I'm flying up to Honolulu for work. I'll repurchase the XS Max there. I think Hawaii tax is 4.5% over 7.75% here in Orange County, CA. Just me trying to save on a very expensive phone.

I just walked in and was directed to the return guy. He asked me if there was anything wrong with the phone. I started going on about the connectivity issues and he just said hmmf and quickly processed the return. I’m in NH so no sales tax. Hawaii for work - good for you! Good luck with your return, just tell them you depend on a working phone for your job and you’re losing customers due to dropped calls. Be assertive with them.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
People who ask questions like this cannot be trusted. They usually suffer from can’t find the perfect iPhone or I can’t make up my mind syndrome.
This time around, quite a few of us have had serious connectivity issues with the new XS and Max phones. I have had Apple devices back to the 3GS and original iPad. I’ve never had to bring back any of my devices for returns or even a repair. This year I returned 2 Maxes and ended up going with an X. Not looking for the perfect phone but just one that works.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
This time around, quite a few of us have had serious connectivity issues with the new XS and Max phones. I have had Apple devices back to the 3GS and original iPad. I’ve never had to bring back any of my devices for returns or even a repair. This year I returned 2 Maxes and ended up going with an X. Not looking for the perfect phone but just one that works.

Clearly you don’t know the OP of this thread... it’s always something with him/her.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.