Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lsmachado

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2018
Texas
I remember when this started several years ago (not specifically with Apple, but stores in general). Retailers labelled people constantly returning merchandise as “serial returners” and decided they could blacklist certain customers if they deemed it necessary. I remember seeing the story on the news.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I remember when this started several years ago (not specifically with Apple, but stores in general). Retailers labelled people constantly returning merchandise as “serial returners” and decided they could blacklist certain customers if they deemed it necessary. I remember seeing the story on the news.

Best Buy and Home Depot track returns with a company called the Retail Advantage. There are others who use this service as well, and if you return too many things at Home Depot, they can block returns at Best Buy from what I’ve heard.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Best Buy and Home Depot track returns with a company called the Retail Advantage. There are others who use this service as well, and if you return too many things at Home Depot, they can block returns at Best Buy from what I’ve heard.

Exactly this. Not sure who it was who said it’s illegal to refuse a return but that is false as can be. They absolutely can block anyone from returns. Normally how it works is when you hit your limit they will tell you on that return that you cannot return any more items and to purchase accordingly. But even if they didn’t tell you they can still deny you. Then your only recourse is to sue.

Personally if I got a bad device and exchanged it for another and that was bad I most likely would not try a third. And if I did try a third if that was bad I would not try any more. How some people try 5,6,7,8 etc devices is beyond me. Seems like a waste of time at that point.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Best Buy and Home Depot track returns with a company called the Retail Advantage.

This is false. They use a company called ‘The retail equation’, which is based out of California that handles separate entities when banning a customer for returns from Best Buy and many other retailers. They also work directly with Amazon.

I used to work for Corporate Loss prevention for years before entering into the L.E. Field and I know firsthand how this company works from my investigations.

There is a whole thread on this company and topic:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/bestbuy-banning-people-for-returning-things.2099267/

Reactions: AppleDior31

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Worst iPhone for me in that respect was the iPhone 5. Returned a good 7/8 of them due to chipping on the frame out of the box. Such a bad phone for quality control. Luckily I have never returned a phone since.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
err.. wrong.

return policies are NOT the law. no store has to accept a return but they do to please the customer.

the only thing that apple is required to do LEGALLY after purchasing an item is make sure it works within the first year (and 2 years in some other countries).

The poster you replied to has provided correct information for the U.K., which is where they are from. Once Apple publish their return policy the are legally obliged to honour it, their Terms for return are laid out and does not include a ‘too many returns opt out’.

You’re correct (again based on the U.K.) that Apple doesn’t have to offer that return policy in the first place, but once they do they have created a contract with the buyer.

However they can refuse to sell you an item.

Last edited:

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I never returned any Apple product since I joined MacRumors.

I had a 4S, 5S, 6 Plus 2nd generation iPad - all purchased at Apple and I kept them all the first time around.

Then, I encountered MacRumors, I returned an X last year, because people were getting headaches and eye strains, and I thought I was too.

Then I returned my AirPods, only to find out I could configure Skip Track, Repeat Track in settings of my iPhone. People here complained this could not be done.

Then, I returned a 13" MBP TB, because I read here that the Touch Bar was gimmicky and useless - was it really?

Then I exchanged that for a 15" MBP TB and I read here that the keys were defective - returned that too. I'm still on a 2011 MBA (purchased at Best Buy).

Now that I have an XS Max, I read issues of connectivity. Yet Apple, gave the green light in their diagnostic that mine was fine.

I got the return bug from this site and I think I may need to unsubscribe to feel more confident with my future purchases.:(

Reactions: happy orchard

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I haven’t returned items to Apple for quality failures for a long time. The last time I did so was when I got an iMac with dead pixels. They sent out a replacement before I’d even returned the faulty one. The replacement had dead pixels, too. So they sent another replacement. I had three iMacs in my house.

I have endlessly returned other products because I didn’t like them. Or because I was trying to choose which particular item to buy. I’ve never had Apple refuse a return. Indeed, my most recent return was outside the return window, but they still agreed to take it back.

But I do have a record of buying — and keeping! — a lot of Apple stuff. So they’ve done OK out of me, profitswise.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007

I had a 4S, 5S, 6 Plus 2nd generation iPad - all purchased at Apple and I kept them all the first time around.

Then, I encountered MacRumors, I returned an X last year, because people were getting headaches and eye strains, and I thought I was too.

Then I returned my AirPods, only to find out I could configure Skip Track, Repeat Track in settings of my iPhone. People here complained this could not be done.

Then, I returned a 13" MBP TB, because I read here that the Touch Bar was gimmicky and useless - was it really?

Then I exchanged that for a 15" MBP TB and I read here that the keys were defective - returned that too. I'm still on a 2011 MBA (purchased at Best Buy).

Now that I have an XS Max, I read issues of connectivity. Yet Apple, gave the green light in their diagnostic that mine was fine.

I got the return bug from this site and I think I may need to unsubscribe to feel more confident with my future purchases.:(
Man, you got problems. You need to stay off of Macrumors, especially the forums. People are mostly here to complain about things :)

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Honestly I’m betting a lot of the answer is in the personal experience you give them. I’ve seen persons in Apple stores who get really fired up go through some major sweat trying to get a return processed and ultimately denied for abusing the system. I’ve also seen (and been) the persons who have a genuinely displayed discontent and worked with the employees until it’s agreed a return will most likely be necessary. Speaking on Apple products, I’ve been able to return several in rapid succession for very many years but this was with the encouragement of the store and Apple secondary to troubleshooting issues.

I’m sure if the honest reason is that you’re unsatisified, they won’t hassle you too much about it. While I don’t really care much for corporate Apple, their employees tend to really reach out to the customer. They definitely won’t tolerate abuse of their services though and they’re good at spotting the difference

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire

I feel just the opposite. I don’t get into MacRumors to look for trouble. But when I have trouble with a device, it’s helpful to check MacRumors for fixes. Without seeing this thread, I would have tried Apple a couple of times, gone beyond my 14 day window and been super unhappy with a phone that didn’t work well.

When a good group of people are having the same issues as me and are also not getting relief from Apple, it helped me to make a better decision to just move on to a different phone. I’m still hopeful for the rest of you dealing with the connectivity issues that Apple still comes out with a software fix.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
I just walked in and was directed to the return guy. He asked me if there was anything wrong with the phone. I started going on about the connectivity issues and he just said hmmf and quickly processed the return. I’m in NH so no sales tax. Hawaii for work - good for you! Good luck with your return, just tell them you depend on a working phone for your job and you’re losing customers due to dropped calls. Be assertive with them.
Can I ask you, is it bad to RESET > ERASE ALL CONTENTS AND SETTINGS for a second time. I did it once already, but I'm tempted to give this XS Max one last chance by doing one more complete Factory Reset and start from scratch like it was new out of the box, hence re-do a fresh start set-up.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Can I ask you, is it bad to RESET > ERASE ALL CONTENTS AND SETTINGS for a second time. I did it once already, but I'm tempted to give this XS Max one last chance by doing one more complete Factory Reset and start from scratch like it was new out of the box, hence re-do a fresh start set-up.

Resetting your MAX will not harm it. I would plug it in so there is not chance of power interruption. I love my MAX and hope you get yours sorted out.

Reactions: ET iPhone Home

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Resetting your MAX will not harm it. I would plug it in so there is not chance of power interruption. I love my MAX and hope you get yours sorted out.
Ok thanks. I'm going to do a fresh reset this evening and erase everything once again - reset all network settings. Tech support did give me the green light on their diagnostics, so I am hoping, connectivity issue is resolved. I still have until the 31st to return. I really do like the phone.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Last edited:

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
I think Vision Pro is the first Apple device that will have me buying and returning it back to back for however long until they ban me. I do want it, I do want to be able to keep it properly, but I don’t want to be beholden to them.

I don’t care.

I’ve given them tens of thousands of dollars over the years. I’m ready to be banned for life I guess.

However since it’s Vision Pro, likely after I return the first one I won’t be able to get ahold of another for many months. I’m fine with that. Then in November I’ll get one on the 3rd and return it early Jan.

If money wasn’t an issue I wouldn’t resort to this. In fact, I’ve never done this before in my 40 year history with Apple.

But this time it’s different, and I don’t want to be stuck with $3500 VP if it takes me a month or two instead of 14 days to realize it’s not worth it…

• Angry
Reactions: dominiongamma

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I think Vision Pro is the first Apple device that will have me buying and returning it back to back for however long until they ban me.

I don’t care.

I’ve given them tens of thousands of dollars over the years. I’m ready to be banned for life I guess.
I guess they keep track of the revenue per person and grant them special leeway. /s

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
I guess they keep track of the revenue per person and grant them special leeway. /s
I know you put /s but… it’s possible?? I always bought AppleCare, I’ve bought hundreds of songs off iTunes, I have owned so many iPads, laptops, iMacs, Mac Pros, iPhones over the years, and had so much time spent on issues with said devices at the Apple stores, that I’m unwilling to compromise with this item, the most expensive Apple device I’ll have ever bought yet.

So… I need more than 2 weeks. Tough. It’s not like after I return it the 1st time I’ll have another chance to get it again for like a year since it’ll be sold out.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I know you put /s but… it’s possible?? I always bought AppleCare, I’ve bought hundreds of songs off iTunes, I have owned so many iPads, laptops, iMacs, Mac Pros, iPhones over the years, and had so much time spent on issues with said devices at the Apple stores, that I’m unwilling to compromise with this item, the most expensive Apple device I’ll have ever bought yet.

So… I need more than 2 weeks. Tough. It’s not like after I return it the 1st time I’ll have another chance to get it again for like a year since it’ll be sold out.
I’ve only returned / exchanged one product in many years. But I would think that apple keeps track and at some point will put its foot down for serial returners.

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
I’ve only returned / exchanged one product in many years. But I would think that apple keeps track and at some point will put its foot down for serial returners.
That’s fine. They won’t be able to deny me a return though, not in the USA, they can only deny me any further purchases.

Once they allow me to buy an item, it actually is a contract that they honor the terms of said purchase OR tell me before I purchase that the terms will be different this time and that I won’t be able to return am I sure I still want to buy?

They can’t have it both ways.

I imagine we are swiftly approaching the point where they cave in and limit consumers to 3 returns per lifetime or something insane like that.

Maybe in other countries they would be allowed to sell you something and then not honor their terms, but not here. Americans sue, and win. We learn from the best (see: Apple’s legalese and legal teams)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That’s fine. They won’t be able to deny me a return though, not in the USA, they can only deny me any further purchases.

Once they allow me to buy an item, it actually is a contract that they honor the terms of said purchase OR tell me before I purchase that the terms will be different this time and that I won’t be able to return am I sure I still want to buy?

They can’t have it both ways.

I imagine we are swiftly approaching the point where they cave in and limit consumers to 3 returns per lifetime or something insane like that.

Maybe in other countries they would be allowed to sell you something and then not honor their terms, but not here. Americans sue, and win. We learn from the best (see: Apple’s legalese and legal teams)
Apple is very lenient on returns. But I can’t imagine they would allow one to serially buy the avp and then serial return it ad-infinitum.

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
Apple is very lenient on returns. But I can’t imagine they would allow one to serially buy the avp and then serial return it ad-infinitum.
Of course not ad infinitum, but I would expect them to let me know when they’re altering the deal, so I can pray they don’t alter it further.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.