Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Don’t think there is a deal. If you’re expecting unlimited returns just because you may be surprised.
There was a funny story on reddit. Lady got an official letter from nordstrom about being banned for returns: letter read like we analyzed your returns over the past 2 years and decided to stop doing business with you cause you spent 122K dollars with us while returning 88K of it back after opening them.

Reactions: I7guy

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
There was a funny story on reddit. Lady got an official letter from nordstrom about being banned for returns: letter read like we analyzed your returns over the past 2 years and decided to stop doing business with you cause you spent 122K dollars with us while returning 88K of it back after opening them.
So they didn’t appreciate her $44,000?

Probably more than most spent ever at Nordstrom? Stupid of Nordstrom.

In my case, I’m probably 95:5 as far as returns with Apple.

JSDK

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2024
I have returned the iPhone 3GS twice, due to the cracks on the back cover, on the white model. It was a typical fault on the white model. Then I have returned 2 black iPhone 5 due to chips on the edges, also a classic. Then I have returned an iPhone 6S, because the screen did not fit tightly in one corner, and then I have returned an iPhone 8, because it had a large scratch at the lightning port. The iPhone 13 Pro is the last one I returned because it wouldn't turn on at all. In addition, I have returned an iPad Air 3 because the Home button was "crispy" and stuck a little when pressed.

So in total I have returned 7 iPhones and 1 iPad.

Where I come from, the iPhone cannot be returned once the seal is broken, unless the phone is damaged. I often read in here that people can return their iPhone if they regret, for example, the color - is this normal in the US?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I have returned the iPhone 3GS twice, due to the cracks on the back cover, on the white model. It was a typical fault on the white model. Then I have returned 2 black iPhone 5 due to chips on the edges, also a classic. Then I have returned an iPhone 6S, because the screen did not fit tightly in one corner, and then I have returned an iPhone 8, because it had a large scratch at the lightning port. The iPhone 13 Pro is the last one I returned because it wouldn't turn on at all. In addition, I have returned an iPad Air 3 because the Home button was "crispy" and stuck a little when pressed.

So in total I have returned 7 iPhones and 1 iPad.

Where I come from, the iPhone cannot be returned once the seal is broken, unless the phone is damaged. I often read in here that people can return their iPhone if they regret, for example, the color - is this normal in the US?
I think there is one shot to return the phone for anything other than warranty service. I could be wrong - but apple will let you return the phone if you don’t like the color, want a more expensive model etc.

After that, I do not believe you can return your iPhone just because.

JSDK

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2024
@I7guy

Thanks for reply. It is a generous service. I wish we had that here. Once the seal is broken, there is no way back, unless the phone is broken. If you regret choosing Space Black, and would rather have Natural Titanium, then there is only one way - that is to sell the phone, take the loss and buy the right one.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018
Depends, but they do keep track of your returns.
I’ve returned many iPhones.

That was during the iPhone 4S days.

It got to the point where I was buying multiple at a time, hoping to get a good one. The reason for the returns? Dead pixels. Something I will not accept.

My 11 Pro Max, 12 Pro Max & 14 Pro Max were/are perfect. I really dislike having to return things, but I’m pleased to say that Apple’s QC has definitely improved.

Reactions: MrMacintoshIII

JSDK

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2024
@Robot21

I also live in the EU. It can of course be different from country to country. But where I live, it's not possible to buy an iPhone in a brick-and-mortar store, take it home, open the box, use it for a few days, then go back to the store and exchange it for a different color, or a model with a larger/smaller storage capacity . However, it is possible with iPhones bought online. They can be returned freely within 14 days.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I know there was one member who had returned something ridiculous, like eight or nine iPhones, and then when they went to return *another* Apple product, they were denied because they were flagged by Apple. The reality is, the only way you will find out is by trying to return something when they will deny you, which I don’t know if they offer an appeal process or not.

actually in that case, I believe they took the product, gave him his money back, and then refused to let him buy again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.