Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
I was concerned with the Studio getting hot and PLA possibly warping.
Thanks for bringing this up. This is my first experience with buying 3D printing, so I researched that.

Warping might occur about 50°C/122°F. Given that heat rises and there is a constant airflow upward I doubt that would happen. I definitely would not leave the item in a closed car on a hot day in the sun though.

Excess humidity can cause PLA warping. Keeping a consistent room environment is important.

Another issue is UV exposure which will change the material color over time and also cause it to become brittle. Some recommend coating the exterior with a UV-resistant varnish.

Reactions: Wheel_D and crowe-t

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
Thanks for bringing this up. This is my first experience with buying 3D printing, so I researched that.

Warping might occur about 50°C/122°F. Given that heat rises and there is a constant airflow upward I doubt that would happen. I definitely would not leave the item in a closed car on a hot day in the sun though.

Excess humidity can cause PLA warping. Keeping a consistent room environment is important.

Another issue is UV exposure which will change the material color over time and also cause it to become brittle. Some recommend coating the exterior with a UV-resistant varnish.
Thanks for posting this.

• Love
Reactions: majus

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love

What type of flter are you using in the Mac Studio 3D printed filter casing?

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
What type of flter are you using in the Mac Studio 3D printed filter casing?
This one:

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
This will just cause the fans to work harder when it's actually needed and to wear out faster.

What slum are y'all living in that it needs this apparent level of filtration?

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
A lack of a technical background will render you clueless.
An overreliance on theory will also render your solution suboptimal. Mind you, it doesn't stop people even making and marketing - never mind DIYing - solutions based around flawed assumptions (e.g. vertical stands for laptops that partly depend on airflow across the keyboard deck for full cooling).

Last edited:

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I live in a house with 2 dogs and a bird, oh and also my wife😀. I have my Mac Studio on a Spigen stand. I dust the desk and under the Mac Studio with a swift about evert two weeks. I never notice ant dust build up on the stand or the studio. I do admit the inside of the studio may be a different story. I have a OWC thunderbay 4 on a rack in the same room running 24/7 and after two weeks the front plate is covered in dust. Just wanted to add my data point.

Shazaam!

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Proctor VT USA
I live in a house with 2 dogs and a bird, oh and also my wife😀. I have my Mac Studio on a Spigen stand. I dust the desk and under the Mac Studio with a swift about evert two weeks. I never notice ant dust build up on the stand or the studio. I do admit the inside of the studio may be a different story. I have a OWC thunderbay 4 on a rack in the same room running 24/7 and after two weeks the front plate is covered in dust. Just wanted to add my data point.
Let me point out that dust particles common in the home range in size from 1 to 100 microns.

The filter holes in the Spigen stand are 0.77 mm or 770 microns. Dust is passing through the Spigen right into the Mac Studio.

Reactions: phrehdd and Wheel_D

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I am almost two years in on my Mac Studio, and yes, I have had it sitting on a Spigen stand the last year.

The Mac Studio is located on a desk in my office in the basement. Basement is unfinished, with concrete floors and walls and I only vacuum about once a fortnight. The office is a busy one with a Mac Studio, 2 Mac Pros, laptops, monitors, TB docking stations, NASes, printer, switch, and a collection of external SSDs and HDDs, and lots of traffic… We have a dog, and he leaves his “imprint” on the environment as well.

I clean the Spigen filter about once a quarter and only ever see a bit of dust accumulation, and when I vacuum the Mac Studio, very little dust seems to be inside the unit.

Maybe not the popular opinion, but perhaps we are over-thinking this a bit, and I wonder how susceptible the Mac Studio actually is to dust accumulation?

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Am waiting for the (official; post-purchase) two-month point before I clean/document the accumulation. Current (aggregate) temps are symbolic of the heating dynamic, and the MS never breaches 36C

I work outside, so I introduce a lot of "stuff" into my environment. I am also owned by two quats, so there is a lot of fluff circulating in the house. I've tossed USD50 into proverbial rubbish for many an other wildly-crazy proposition.

Additional layers of protection may not always be pleasant, but they never *cough* hurt ;)

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
A friend printed the Mac Studio filter casing for me. I ordered some filters and a neoprene strip for the seal. As soon as they come this week I'll set it up.

IMG_2656.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2657.jpeg
    IMG_2657.jpeg
    650.6 KB · Views: 36

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2016
A friend printed the Mac Studio filter casing for me. I ordered some filters and a neoprene strip for the seal. As soon as they come this week I'll set it up.

View attachment 2346142

I'll likely be getting a Mac Studio and would be glad to mount it on a filter like the one pictured above. Still, I doubt I can access the necessary materials. Indeed, as a person with a physical disability, I'm frustrated with the lack of quality commercial solutions. Also, there's no Apple store nearby, so there will be no reason to pay the AppleCare fee for the privilege of watching Apple exhume dust bunnies from my machine.

Extremely frustrating. . . .

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
I'll likely be getting a Mac Studio and would be glad to mount it on a filter like the one pictured above. Still, I doubt I can access the necessary materials. Indeed, as a person with a physical disability, I'm frustrated with the lack of quality commercial solutions. Also, there's no Apple store nearby, so there will be no reason to pay the AppleCare fee for the privilege of watching Apple exhume dust bunnies from my machine.

Everything, including the printing, can be ordered online.

Shazaam!

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Proctor VT USA

Do what I did. Pay ($19) for the 3D printer file and upload to a commercial 3D printer company of your choice to print and ship the file to you ($40). Buy the filter medium ($18) from Amazon and that's it.

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/hobby-diy/electronics/mac-studio-filter-casing-3d-printing

Last edited:

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2016
Everything, including the printing, can be ordered online.

Do what I did. Pay ($19) for the 3D printer file and upload to a commercial 3D printer company of your choice to print and ship the file to you ($40). Buy the filter medium ($18) from Amazon and that's it.

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/hobby-diy/electronics/mac-studio-filter-casing-3d-printing

I may do so; many thanks to those in this thread for the terrific advice!

However—there is always a “however,” isn’t there?—my dexterity is such that it’s not practical for me to cut filter materials or neoprene strips. Heck, I’m not even sure about assembling them correctly. Yes, I could ask for assistance, but you know the old saying: If you want something done right. . . .

For me—for my money and situation—an effective commercial solution would be highly preferable.

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
I may do so; many thanks to those in this thread for the terrific advice!

However—there is always a “however,” isn’t there?—my dexterity is such that it’s not practical for me to cut filter materials or neoprene strips. Heck, I’m not even sure about assembling them correctly. Yes, I could ask for assistance, but you know the old saying: If you want something done right. . . .

For me—for my money and situation—an effective commercial solution would be highly preferable.

This filter for a Mitsubishi Mirage G4 fits. In fact this is the one mentioned on the listing at CG Trader.

Reactions: Wheel_D

krishnaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
I am going to try this. The "DustEnd" filter material is self adhesive. I just cut it to fit and attached it to the underside of the Spigen filter stand. Its adhesive did a very good job sticking down and sealing the base up. The black foam will enable me to better see what is it filtering out. View attachment 2198333
Has anyone else tried this method? Any drawbacks? Please post your experience

Shazaam!

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Proctor VT USA
Has anyone else tried this method? Any drawbacks? Please post your experience
Your approach will work fine. The only drawback is the thickness of the foam. Thin foam can't hold as much dust internally so you'll need to set a reminder to vacuum it or change it more frequently to avoid reducing air flow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.