Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
Possible anyone knows if any of the examples above "Restrict" airflow causing the Mac Studio to ramp the fans under no/low load?

Made a filter for the front of the cheese grader MacPro, and despite that machine having a Far Larger surface area to work with, the machine was Very sensitive to the restriction in flow for the filter media, and the fans would almost immediately respond by doubling in RPM at Zero load, and would go from a reasonable low sound to a immediate and noticeably audible fan drone!

Curious if a filter media is utilized with the studio, will it likely respond in a similar kind?
And if yes, might a pleated media to vastly increase surface area be advisable VS a single sheet of media ~surface area of the footprint of the studio?

The dust filter media I used before was ~3mm thin, partially nearly transparent because of its open cell nature, was Incredibly surprised how restrictive it was despite those attributes.
Are there filter medias that are optimized at blocking particles, yet less restrictive?

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2016
Possible anyone knows if any of the examples above "Restrict" airflow causing the Mac Studio to ramp the fans under no/low load?

Made a filter for the front of the cheese grader MacPro, and despite that machine having a Far Larger surface area to work with, the machine was Very sensitive to the restriction in flow for the filter media, and the fans would almost immediately respond by doubling in RPM at Zero load, and would go from a reasonable low sound to a immediate and noticeably audible fan drone!

Curious if a filter media is utilized with the studio, will it likely respond in a similar kind?
And if yes, might a pleated media to vastly increase surface area be advisable VS a single sheet of media ~surface area of the footprint of the studio?

The dust filter media I used before was ~3mm thin, partially nearly transparent because of its open cell nature, was Incredibly surprised how restrictive it was despite those attributes.
Are there filter medias that are optimized at blocking particles, yet less restrictive?

@rotarypower101 - There was discussion of exactly this issue earlier in this thread; you'll want to check the first few pages.

Shazaam!

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Proctor VT USA

The Studio will ramp up fan speed only when CPU or GPU temperatures reaches a set point. If you restrict air flow with a dirty filter, more power (1-2 watts) will be sent to the fan motor to assure fan speed is maintained until the filter is cleaned.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I wanted to follow up on the Ifcase stand with filter. Is anyone using it. I have had the Spigen for about a year. When I clean my desk the desk is dusty but the Spigen is clean. I not sure if it is working great or it does not work at all. I try to vacuum the vents of the Studio and the Spine with a rubber hose attachment on my Dyson onece a month or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.