Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Am waiting for the (official; post-purchase) two-month point before I clean/document the accumulation. Current (aggregate) temps are symbolic of the heating dynamic, and the MS never breaches 36C

I work outside, so I introduce a lot of "stuff" into my environment. I am also owned by two quats, so there is a lot of fluff circulating in the house. I've tossed USD50 into proverbial rubbish for many an other wildly-crazy proposition.

Additional layers of protection may not always be pleasant, but they never *cough* hurt ;)

Finally got to it (iStat temps were showing mid2upper 40's).

Nothing really there for a photo; maybe just two pinches of cat hair, total.

I powered-down for the cleaning.

Temps are now in the mid 30's . . . -10C prob. due to other factors, rather than the removal of 1cm^3 of cat hair ;)

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Apologies for being off topic, but what monitoring application is that?
I use iStats Menus

Gjuroo

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2023
There is also a free alternative to iStat Menus - VitalSigns.

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
There is also a free alternative to iStat Menus - VitalSigns.
Is there a version of VitalSigns for Ventura?

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
What are the current option people prefer to prohibit the dust entering to begin with?

New studio, and the first time I won't be able to easily open my mac and clean it, so seems like prohibiting it from the start might be a reasonable approach, as I did it twice a year before and it was always a noticeable buildup just over ~6 months.

Possible there is a multi solution out there?
Maybe a stand/dock that would house bulk storage, filter the intake, and cool the drive, taking care of 3 problems at once?

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
What are the current option people prefer to prohibit the dust entering to begin with?

New studio, and the first time I won't be able to easily open my mac and clean it, so seems like prohibiting it from the start might be a reasonable approach, as I did it twice a year before and it was always a noticeable buildup just over ~6 months.

Possible there is a multi solution out there?
Maybe a stand/dock that would house bulk storage, filter the intake, and cool the drive, taking care of 3 problems at once?
I have a Spigen stand and it's probably best for looks. That aside I live in a house with 2 dogs and lots of dust and I just vacuum often and keep the desk clean and dusted. After almost a year dust is really not an issue for me or the computer. Enjoy the new computer!

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Found a new filter stand for the Mac Mini, and Mac Studio. I like the filter on this one. It looks like the standard computer case filter mesh screen which is very good. It was pointed out in the reviews the filter appears to be a standard 140mm case fan filter size, if so there is a lot of very good filters available.

I'll have one this next Saturday. I had enough Amazon credits to get it for $8 bucks.

Last edited:

jim0266

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
It's been 10 months since I purchased my refurb Mac Mini Pro. I created a stand out of the cardboard box in which the computer shipped and fastened a Merv8 HVAC filter underneath to filter the air. I finally got around to replacing the filter. Looks like its been doing its job if a new filter is compared. I did have a short-haired cat that spent a lot of time up on the desk with the computer which surely didn't help in keeping dust and dirt to a minimum. Good to know what's NOT in my Mini.

edit:punctuation

Attachments

• 2024-04-08 22.22.20.jpg
    2024-04-08 22.22.20.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Reactions: transmaster

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
I'll have one this next Saturday. I had enough Amazon credits to get it for $8 bucks.
I like the looks of this. Let me know if the 140mm filter fits and how tall this stand is when you get it. I'm using the Spigen stand with my MS now and it just barely fits under my monitor. This looks like it might be a little taller.

designerdave72

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
I like the looks of this. Let me know if the 140mm filter fits and how tall this stand is when you get it. I'm using the Spigen stand with my MS now and it just barely fits under my monitor. This looks like it might be a little taller.
I also use the Spigen and it’s is 2.59cm tall.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
OK the Mac Studio is sitting on the IFCASE filter. The filter medium is a fine almost transparent foam. You can buy this in rolls and cut it out with scissors. The stand is about 2 times taller than the Spigen. Instead of fitting down into a fitted base the entire bottom of the Mac Studio is suspended above with plenty of open air above the filter to draw from. In terms of filtering and even air flow this filter is superior to the Spigen. The MS just sets on the top of the stand like the Spigen, but is does not index on the Kensington lock slot which I really like it is pain getting the Spigen into it. there are complaints just like the Spigen but simply using clear adhesive tape takes care of that issue. Now we will see how the filter works, I has to be better than the Spigen.

IMG_9091.jpeg

sarga

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
Ifcase looks very good. I'm just wondering if all the air that is being scooped up is really going through the filter, or if there is some air being scooped up from the edge of the stand.You can see some silicone in the corners. Could you take some more pics,how the filter is mounted there for example. Too bad it's not available in Europe on Amazon.de yet. Thanks.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
It is available on Amazon Canada… Are you sure you are looking at the right thing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.