Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RazorBackXX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2023
hey my friends, I have the main Mac folders in the dock. documents, photos, videos, downloads, music ect. I want them to stay put. I don't want them to move. I love dragging & dropping files into my dock. but when I hover over the dock folders it tries to put the file aka a photo or video in the middle of two folders. how do I prevent this?? I made the dock as big as possible & I have magnification off. there has to be a terminal command. im posting two photos. 1, what my dock looks like & 2, when I try & drag a file over a folder. I don't want any spaces in between the folders.

Attachments

• ss1.jpeg
    ss1.jpeg
    13 KB · Views: 76
  • ss2.png
    ss2.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 47

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I love dragging & dropping files into my dock. but when I hover over the dock folders it tries to put the file aka a photo or video in the middle of two folders. how do I prevent this??
You don't. The Dock is not a Finder window. It does not behave like one. What you're describing is the normal, default behavior.

Did the Deeper app change this and allow you to have folders in the Dock that behave similar to a folder in Finder?

RazorBackXX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2023
You don't. The Dock is not a Finder window. It does not behave like one. What you're describing is the normal, default behavior.

Did the Deeper app change this and allow you to have folders in the Dock that behave similar to a folder in Finder?
Hey My friend, I want you to know I appreciate you teaching me about the dock not being a finder window. I love learning what finder is & all its functions but it's impossible to find educational topics out there at least I can't find any. idk if Quick Look is apart of preview or QuickTime ect.

To answer your question Gregg. Yes the Deeper App did change this & my god bro the app is amazing. you should def download the app it has so many features.

I created 3 screenshots for you & whoever may come across this post. I used a transparent folder for easy to see differences.

the images my not be in order. but I used the field names. invisible folder is the transparent folder.

Dock 1 image - what my dock looks like originally

Dock 2 image - Moving a folder to the dock creating a space (original behavior as you had mentioned)

Dock 3 image - No space can be created allowing for easy drag & drop files to the folders using the Deeper Application.

The answer is yes bro the deeper app allowed me to have folders in the dock that behave similar to a folder in finder.

Attachments

• Dock 2.jpeg
    Dock 2.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Dock 1.jpeg
    Dock 1.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Dock 3.png
    Dock 3.png
    550 KB · Views: 29
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.