Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eye.surgeon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
California
Now that fast charging is enabled, is there an easy way to determine the rate of charge of your phone dynamically rather than calculating charge/time? I want to confirm that some of my wireless chargers are indeed fast charging.

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
You can hear it ding twice after you plug it in. That’s the easiest way to tell.
Where was this mentioned?

I tried checking charging with coconutBattery, and did not see much of an improvement after I upgraded to 11.2. On 11.1 it showed charging around 2.75w, and on 11.2 it shows around 3.0w. If I use the regular iPhone charger it shows around 3.5w, and an iPad charger shows around 7.5w. I can't believe wireless charging is really this slow. What is a typical value if it is fast charging?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
You can hear it ding twice after you plug it in. That’s the easiest way to tell.
Ding twice? Like the charge sound fires up two times? I am using the Belkin charger selling in Apple Stores with 11.2 on the iPhone X and it just dings once. No joking please.

J.C

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2008
Ding twice? Like the charge sound fires up two times? I am using the Belkin charger selling in Apple Stores with 11.2 on the iPhone X and it just dings once. No joking please.

Yep, the charging chime goes off twice consecutively.

Possibly you’re mixed up with fast(er) wireless charging (7.5W) and the fast charging available when using the correct power adapter and a USB C to Lightning cable.

You’ll get a single DING sound (I believe) with all wireless chargers. But if you connect to an iPad or MacBook power adapter with a USB C cable you’ll get two DINGS indicating the fasting charging speed possible i.e ‘fast charging’.

It’s kinda confusing because ‘fast charging’ is not a properly defined term and it’s printed on a lot of 7.5W+ wireless chargers. I don’t think you can really refer to them as fast charging devices, however. They’re just as fast as is currently possible on a wireless charger, and still quite slow. To charge as fast as possible with the iPhone you need to be plugged in.

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

Possibly you’re mixed up with fast(er) wireless charging (7.5W) and the fast charging available when using the correct power adapter and a USB C to Lightning cable.

You’ll get a single DING sound (I believe) with all wireless chargers. But if you connect to an Apple or MacBook power adapter with a USB C cable you’ll get two DINGS indicating the fasting charging speed possible i.e ‘fast charging’.

It’s kinda confusing because ‘fast charging’ is not a properly defined term and it’s printed on a lot of 7.5W+ wireless chargers. I don’t think you can really refer to them as fast charging devices, however. They’re just as fast as is currently possible on a wireless charger, and still quite slow. To charge as fast as possible with the iPhone you need to be plugged in.
Let me try fast-charging with my MacBook Pro charger. Thanks.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

You’ll get a single DING sound (I believe) with all wireless chargers. But if you connect to an Apple or MacBook power adapter with a USB C cable you’ll get two DINGS indicating the fasting charging speed possible i.e ‘fast charging’.

Confirmed! Two dings. The second one comes a second after the first. I think this is because the iPhone charges with normal rate first, and the second sound comes after the software checked that the charger and cable are compatible then it enables fast charging.

But this is only for USB C fast charging not the wireless faster charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ravi_MR

Eerock

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2017
Its worth mentioning to use an Apple USB-C cable, aftermarket ones that work with Droids will not work with Iphones if my experience is correct.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I have the Apple supported Mophie charger and the latest iOS version and it does charge faster than when I had the older iOS version. Not two-ding hyperspeed but very good.

For example, I got home from work 20 minutes ago at 71% charge and am now at 94% which is faster than it used to be on wireless and faster than the stock cube USB charger.

Reactions: blaine07

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I have a 29W USB-C charger along with a USB-C to lighting cable but I've only used it once. I never knew about the two ding sound thing until now. I tried and yup, it does work. I'm not too keen on the whole rapid charging thing because that seems like it could shorten the lifespan on my X's battery vs charging normally.

I don't know...

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Strange I don’t hear the 2 dings
I have the 29w charger and the USB-C to lightning cable plugged into the Apple dock
Maybe it’s the dock The iphoneX does fast charge

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
You can use the Amperes app to compare.
Interesting app, thanks for suggesting it. There is another app I used to see the wattage that the battery is being charged with called coconutBattery. It runs on your Mac and uses the iTunes Sync connection with your device to measure the charging and discharging rate of the battery.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
This "two ding" behavior has been around a lot longer than "fast charging". It consistently happens with Mophie and Anker external batteries, for example. There's something else to this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.