Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
By it charging quickly

It’s quite obvious when you plug it in and see how fast it’s going

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
The Morphie charger I got from Apple does not cause my X to ding twice. Only one time.

Yes, same here. It's because of something I just learned in this thread: There are three (or five) degrees of "fast charging".

1A. Regular charging, the small cube you get with your iPhone 8/X packed in.
1B. Regular charging, on a standard wireless charger with no mention of 7.5W.
2A. Fast charging, using an iPad power supply of 10W or 12W, better than the cube.
2B. Fast charging, what's available now with iOS 11 and an Apple recommended wireless charger.
3A. Super Fast charging, wired and only available with USB C and some badboy power supply.

So for you and I with the Mophie charger, we are #2B's. It's capable of "fast charging" and comes with its own proprietary power supply to ensure that it's 100% compatible to Apple's standard. So we only get one 'ding' and we get moderately fast charging not super fast charging.

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yes, same here. It's because of something I just learned in this thread: There are three degrees of "fast charging".

1. Regular charging, the small cube you get with your iPhone 8/X packed in.
2. Fast charging, what's available now with iOS 11 and an Apple recommended wireless charger.
3. Super Fast charging, only available with USB C and some badboy power supply.

So for you and I with the Mophie charger, we are #2's. It's capable of "fast charging" and comes with its own proprietary power supply to ensure that it's 100% compatible to Apple's standard. So we only get one 'ding' and we get moderately fast charging not super fast charging.

I really could care less about fast charging but bought the wireless charger for the convenience. I drop it on the charging pad before I go to bed and it can take all the time it wants.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I really could care less about fast charging but bought the wireless charger for the convenience. I drop it on the charging pad before I go to bed and it can take all the time it wants.

I bought one Mophie for my work desk and another for the night stand. The convenience is excellent.

Same here, the speed isn't a big factor for me because I charge overnight and after a 12 hour work day I get home with 81% of my charge remaining, it's crazy how good the X is on battery.

That said, along with my Mophie I did try to buy a third-party wireless charger that claimed it could fast charge with iOS 11.2 but it turns out you need a specific USB power supply. Wireless charging is a hornet's next of compatibility issues, cable qualities, power supply types, even the Qi coils within the wireless coasters have their own form of circuitry protection that can shut down the power at a moment's notice. Way too many variables at play here, it now makes perfect sense why Apple recommends only two wireless chargers for the 8 and X.

My simple advice for 'high speed' charging to any who want it:

If you want a great wired charging solution, use your iPad 12W power supply and an Apple Lightning cable.
If you want a great wireless charging solution, buy the Mophie Wireless Charger from the Apple Store.

Messing around with any third-party combination of cables and power supplies and charging pucks isn't worth the risk, and the bump in speed beyond the iPad charger and/or Mophie is marginal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtons Apple

steve60549

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2014
Strange I don’t hear the 2 dings
I have the 29w charger and the USB-C to lightning cable plugged into the Apple dock
Maybe it’s the dock The iphoneX does fast charge
No the dock cannot fast charge. Take a look at the pins. It only has half of the required ones.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I have the 29w brick and the usb-c cable and it never dings twice?

Nvm, I see now that it needs to be locked, and I was checking while it was unlocked. It dings twice....

Last edited:

popkurn611

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2018
Same here, the speed isn't a big factor for me because I charge overnight and after a 12 hour work day I get home with 81% of my charge remaining, it's crazy how good the X is on battery.

That said, along with my Mophie I did try to buy a third-party wireless charger that claimed it could fast charge with iOS 11.2 but it turns out you need a specific USB power supply. Wireless charging is a hornet's next of compatibility issues, cable qualities, power supply types, even the Qi coils within the wireless coasters have their own form of circuitry protection that can shut down the power at a moment's notice. Way too many variables at play here, it now makes perfect sense why Apple recommends only two wireless chargers for the 8 and X.

My simple advice for 'high speed' charging to any who want it:

If you want a great wired charging solution, use your iPad 12W power supply and an Apple Lightning cable.
If you want a great wireless charging solution, buy the Mophie Wireless Charger from the Apple Store.

Messing around with any third-party combination of cables and power supplies and charging pucks isn't worth the risk, and the bump in speed beyond the iPad charger and/or Mophie is marginal.

I think that is a really good answer being that I have been questioning the whole what cables, adapters, wireless charge to use over in imore forums for weeks now. I got answers that I thought were correct and made sense, but not turning out too great. I got a "quick charge 3.0" adapter block off amazon by anker and a seneo wireless charging stand which came with a usb cable. Not that I would even know if it was fast charging but doesn't seem to be so fast. I feel that my ipad 12w charger and lightning cable charge much faster.

I still don't understand the whole "quick charge," "fast charging" terminology. Does the usb cable matter? Is a samsung or LG fast charging adapter block sufficient?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I think that is a really good answer being that I have been questioning the whole what cables, adapters, wireless charge to use over in imore forums for weeks now. I got answers that I thought were correct and made sense, but not turning out too great. I got a "quick charge 3.0" adapter block off amazon by anker and a seneo wireless charging stand which came with a usb cable. Not that I would even know if it was fast charging but doesn't seem to be so fast. I feel that my ipad 12w charger and lightning cable charge much faster.

I still don't understand the whole "quick charge," "fast charging" terminology. Does the usb cable matter? Is a samsung or LG fast charging adapter block sufficient?

I typed this up earlier in the thread, this is how I look at the world of "fast charging" these days:

1A. Regular charging (wired), the small cube you get with your iPhone 8/X packed in.
1B. Regular charging (wireless), on a standard wireless charger with no mention of 7.5W.
2A. Fast charging (wired), using an iPad power supply of 10W or 12W, better than the cube.
2B. Fast charging (wireless), what's available now with iOS 11 and an Apple recommended wireless charger.
3A. Super Fast charging (wired), only available with USB C and some badboy mega power supply.

If you have an 8 or a X and you want fast wireless (not wired) charging, my advice to you is to just get the Mophie from the Apple Store. Anything else is going to be a hodgepodge of protocols and, frankly, wild guesses.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Strange I don’t hear the 2 dings
I have the 29w charger and the USB-C to lightning cable plugged into the Apple dock
Maybe it’s the dock The iphoneX does fast charge
Using Dock I don’t get the 2 dings either
However without the dock you do

ozthegweat

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2007
Switzerland
I can confirm that the iPhone X dings twice, the iPad Pro 10.5" does not however (brand-new Apple 29W USB-C adapter and Apple USB-C to Lightning cable).

Instead of dinging twice, it would be better if the battery icon was slightly different, like a double lightning bolt or something.

randpost

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2018
I am a first time iPhone user. iPhone X is my first iPhone. The last 3 phones I've owned or still own are the s8, s8+, and Note 8. Not to mention my wife and children have various Samsung phones that fast charge also. I also own the Nintendo Switch that uses USB C PD charging speeds to charge just like the Iphone X. All of these devices fast charge via wire.

There is really no reason to buy an Apple charging brick or the Apple USB C to lightning cable.

I have 7 Anker PD wall chargers (link here) - I've purchased them from 19.99 to 27.99. It seems that pricing has gone up and stayed up with the release of the latest gen iPhone and the Nintendo Switch.

A 6ft USB C to lightning cable goes for $5.00 for 6ft on Amazon. I've tried 3 brands of this type of cable and they all fast charge with no noticeable different in charging rate. Cable quality does matter so just make sure you research the cable you are getting.

So for 25.00 - 30.00 you can be set with fast charging for your iPhone or even double up for less than what Apple would charge you for a singular set up.

As for wireless fast charging, nearly all decent brand of wireless pad or stand will be fine. We have 5 pads at home and I have 1 at work. Brands we use are Anker, Samsung, and RavPower. Some are single coil and some are multi coil. Just use a charging brick that can supply the suggested power of the charging pad. I use a good power brick and a quality cable for each charger, and they all charge at the same speed. I have yet to have a failure and some of these fast charge pads are near 2 years old.

Personally I really don't use wired fast charging. I just have a wireless pads wherever I frequent (car, multiple spots in my home, and work). My phone is typically near 100% all day and I don't have any scratching near the charging port.

Last edited:

cargobrian

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2015
Long Island NY
Well for some reason, my phone does not double ding when locked and being charged with apple 29w charger and apple 2m usb-c to lighting cable.

Kind of frustrating.

Reactions: npayme

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Apple should have named this Faster Charging as opposed to Fast Charging
As it still takes 2 hours even with Fast Charge from 0 to 100

WIllfribourg

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2018
Ding twice? Like the charge sound fires up two times? I am using the Belkin charger selling in Apple Stores with 11.2 on the iPhone X and it just dings once. No joking please.
[doublepost=1517147255][/doublepost]wireless Charging isn’t Fast Charging. Even the belkin and mophie wireless chargers that support 7.5 watts cannot support fast charge. No wireless charger can Yet in fact. The only official way to fast charge your iPhone X or 8 is to use a 29w usbc pd power adapter (either official or third party power adapter is compatible) and an official Apple usbc to lightning cable (either 1 or 2m, NOT USB TO LIGHTNING, only official cable is compatible)

Reactions: AppleWes

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Well for some reason, my phone does not double ding when locked and being charged with apple 29w charger and apple 2m usb-c to lighting cable.

Kind of frustrating.
Happens to me sometimes what i do is plug the ipad charger 12w for 5 sec then plug back the 29w charger and it should ding twice. Looks like the fast charger does not register every time.

Reactions: cargobrian

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Why doesn't Apple just copy Samsung and have a message in the notifications saying it is fast charging?

My Huawei phone will tell you fast charging available and two lightning symbols on the battery icon.

All my Android phone that is capable of fast charging with work with any quick charger.

Reactions: IowaLynn

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
I have the 29w brick and the usb-c cable and it never dings twice?

Nvm, I see now that it needs to be locked, and I was checking while it was unlocked. It dings twice....

I have Apple USB C 29w and Apple C to Lighting cable and it was driving me crazy that I didn't hear it ding twice. I can confirm it only dings twice when my X is locked. Either way, the fast charging for my X and my iPad Pro 10.5 has been great.

Reactions: saltd

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
Just a follow up to my previous post. My iPhone X now double dings/vibrates regardless of whether it's locked. Also, I will say that I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the money to have the ability to fast charge, but I'm very glad I did. I use it often for both my iPhone and my iPad Pro 10.5.

kjpmi

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2017
Ugh. So much misinformation out there. I’m surprised macrumors doesn’t have better moderation.
SO this is all you need to know everyone and I’ll try to make it simple:
If you want true “fast charging” you need a USB-C to lightning cable FROM APPLE. 3rd party sellers will say their cables support fast charging but since the TERM isn’t a standard copyrighted term they can claim whatever they want. Apple holds the proprietary rights to the cable itself which supports what they call fast charging. Specifically the little encrypted chip that’s only inside of Apple cables. Bottom line, if you don’t use an Apple USB-C to lightning cable then it will not charge at the fastest possible speed which Apple allows. That may change in the future but as of now Apple is NOT licensing that ability out to any third party mfr.
As far as the power supply, the USB-C standard is an open standard so Apple has no control over WHICH power supply you use and cannot tell in any way if you’re using one from Apple or from someone else. The phone can only see how much power it is delivering.
As long as you have a power supply that has a USB-C port AND supports power delivery over USB then you are good.
You can get power supplies that range from 18 watt USB-C up to 80 or so watts. But keep in mind that fast charging isn’t unlimited charging. There’s still an upper limit and it seems like the iphone governs it somewhere between 20 and 30 Watts. Other people have compared USB-C power bricks and it seems like there’s very little difference between the 18 watt vs all of the higher watt power supplies. It seems to plateau somewhere in the low 20 watt range.
And finally: you will know that your iphone is in its fastest “fast charging” mode because it will ding or buzz twice when you plug in the cable. Full stop. It’s as simple as that. It doesn’t matter if the screen is locked or unlocked when you plug it in as I’ve seen some people say. It will buzz or ding as soon as you plug in the cable just like normal. THEN it will buzz or ding a second time maybe a second after the first. That’s all the indication you will get. It works for me whether the screen is off, on but locked, unlocked, with an app open, without any apps open, with the ringer on, or with the ringer off.
And finally finally: it will only work if plugged in directly to the phone. The fastest fast charging mode is not supported by the Apple charging dock or any wireless charging pad. Wireless charging is capped at 7.5watts and the dock (or any other charging cable and power supply that’s NOT usb-C, or even the usb-C approved cable first plugged into the charging dock) is capped at 12 watts.
So if you want good charging speeds you CAN use the 12 watt iPad power supply with the USB-A to lightning cable and it will definitely charge faster than wireless or the sh!**¥ 5 watt cube that comes with the iPhone now. Your phone will charge faster but it will not ding or buzz twice.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.