Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The phone makes it's usual "chime" sound when placed on the charger, the same sound you get when plugging it in.

The "ding" supposedly comes from the charger (see post number three in this thread). Some claimed it made a single ding when charging and a double ding when it was fast charging.

My Morphie charger plate from Apple never made a sound.

jimmygreenjame

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2018
Charger: original USB-C from Macbook Pro 13'
Cable: original USB-C > lightning
Phone: iPhone X

Just one dig (beep) and that's it. The same with regular iPhone charger.

[edited] i know, that i was wrong. My cable was fake.

Last edited:

kjpmi

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2017
Charger: original USB-C from Macbook Pro 13'
Cable: original USB-C > lightning
Phone: iPhone X

Just one dig (beep) and that's it. The same with regular iPhone charger.

So, twise dig (beep) not proved.

If it doesn’t beep or buzz twice then you don’t have a cable from Apple.
Best guess is that you got the power supply online and they included an “original” cable with it for free.
In fact when I search for that power supply that’s exactly what comes up.

The first cable I bought I was scammed. Told it was original Apple. It looked exactly the same. But it wasn’t.
Apple has a built in microchip in the end of the cable which must be there for fast charging.
That’s the only part of this that’s proprietary and must be Apple. The power supply is open source so it can be any brand.
Mine is belkin I believe or something like that. It beeps twice. (And actually with the beta of iOS 12 it beeps three times. I’m guessing as a distinction between normal charging. FastER charging. And the fastest level).

Reactions: jimmygreenjame

jimmygreenjame

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2018
Guys, sorry, I was wrong. I bought fake Apple USB-C - lightning cable.

Today I bought another from official reseller and I hear twice ding and double vibration.

Fu... Scammers...

Martoony

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
I have an iPhone X with iPad Pro charger, with apple USBC to lightning wires I bought from Apple - Latest OS. I only get the double ding on occasion. Does the phone have to be below a certain percentage to fast charge?

Reactions: AppleWes

Archer1778

macrumors member
May 1, 2017
Charlotte
I have an iPhone X with iPad Pro charger, with apple USBC to lightning wires I bought from Apple - Latest OS. I only get the double ding on occasion. Does the phone have to be below a certain percentage to fast charge?
Believe to get the double ding, phone has to below 80%? At least that’s how mine has been working...

johnalan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
The "double ding" is gone since iOS 11.3.1 - it was a bug not a feature.

I have an 87watt MBP charger from Apple with official Apple Lighting to USB-C cable, I don't get a double ding on iOS 11.4 on an iPhone X

There is so much misinformation in this thread.

If it doesn’t beep or buzz twice then you don’t have a cable from Apple.

Not true anymore.

Reactions: Wide opeN

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
This twice ding is gone in the latest iOS beta 11. But on rare times it does ding twice. So something is buggy.

rtvanhook

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018
Really want to know? Get a meter. They're about $16 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/MakerHawk-Mu...pID=51ntOpOIZrL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Apps don't work--they simply do a little math after using the stopwatch to time the battery as it charge a percent or two.

About the "double beep": it happens at a "shift point" as charging slowly builds to full speed. Watching volts and amps in real-time, charging comes up to full speed at just about the same rate as a vehicle--and it even shifts gears! It starts at the standard USB voltage of 5V, and then "downshifts" to the the higher USB-PD voltages of 9 and 15 volts (I haven't yet seen 20...) as amps gradually increase.

The second beep--when it happens--is at a shift point. I suppose that some chargers...at some times...pause long enough that the phone thinks things are starting over. But even with my chargers that gave me a double-beep, it didn't happen every time.

The other thing that seems to confuse folks...and this is easy to see with a meter...is that the battery must be relatively depleted to see fast charging in action. The phone charges to a "soft landing" at 100%, and slows charging way down as it approaches fully charged. This is why Apple claims "up to 50 percent battery in 30 minutes" instead of "fully recharges in an hour".

Reactions: il8on and Wide opeN

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
Really want to know? Get a meter. They're about $16 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/MakerHawk-Mu...pID=51ntOpOIZrL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Apps don't work--they simply do a little math after using the stopwatch to time the battery as it charge a percent or two.

About the "double beep": it happens at a "shift point" as charging slowly builds to full speed. Watching volts and amps in real-time, charging comes up to full speed at just about the same rate as a vehicle--and it even shifts gears! It starts at the standard USB voltage of 5V, and then "downshifts" to the the higher USB-PD voltages of 9 and 15 volts (I haven't yet seen 20...) as amps gradually increase.

The second beep--when it happens--is at a shift point. I suppose that some chargers...at some times...pause long enough that the phone thinks things are starting over. But even with my chargers that gave me a double-beep, it didn't happen every time.

The other thing that seems to confuse folks...and this is easy to see with a meter...is that the battery must be relatively depleted to see fast charging in action. The phone charges to a "soft landing" at 100%, and slows charging way down as it approaches fully charged. This is why Apple claims "up to 50 percent battery in 30 minutes" instead of "fully recharges in an hour".

This makes since since my Max doesn’t double beep when charging at about 80% full using Apple USBC charger and Apple cable. None of the three Max do.

xodbox

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2012
Taytay, Rizal, Philippines
Well for some reason, my phone does not double ding when locked and being charged with apple 29w charger and apple 2m usb-c to lighting cable.

Kind of frustrating.

Ditto! I'm trying to get the battery lower since I'm still on 75% and I just wanted to check if my lightning to USB-C cable and my 61w Macbook Pro power brick will get my Xs to fast charge.

Will check again later once I get the power down to below 50% and update you guys

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
I had a PD (Power Delivery) charger as specified for the Pixel devices and bought an Apple USB C cable. Charging is so fast! I forgot to charge my XS last night so it was down to 26%. I popped it on charge and 14 minutes later it was at 50%. No double-ding.

catean

Suspended
Jun 16, 2013
London, UK
No double ding in my case too. Apple 30w + usb-c to lightning. Tried with the iPad’s 18w charger too. Tried my wife’s iPhone...no double ding. Was this double ding removed in the new updates of iOS?

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
You can hear it ding twice after you plug it in. That’s the easiest way to tell.

What??? It dings twice? I don’t recall ever hearing that?
[doublepost=1554755607][/doublepost]
No double ding in my case too. Apple 30w + usb-c to lightning. Tried with the iPad’s 18w charger too. Tried my wife’s iPhone...no double ding. Was this double ding removed in the new updates of iOS?

I’m in the same boat. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a double dinge.

I am using the iPad charger though.

happy_camper1010

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2019
I just bought two Anker chargers and two Anker USB-C to Lightning cables (3ft, 6ft). One is a wall charger that has an 18W Power Deliver (PD) USB-C Port. The other is a car charger with a 30W PD Port. The wall charger does the double ding (using both 3ft and 6ft cables) with my iPhone XS Max every time. The car charger never does the double ding. I emailed Anker about this to make sure that the car charger is actually fast charging (I've not done any proper timing/testing with either).

They basically confirmed what rtvanhook said above. The chargers always start at 5V then switch to 9V. They placed the blame on the charging chips in the phone rather than the chargers themselves (of course they did), but they assured me that either way, they will be fast charging and I can confirm by timing a charge from 0% to 100% in 1hr 59min for the XS Max.

I'm tempted to buy one of those MakerHawk USB meters to confirm power output, but I don't really think it's worth it.

Reactions: guinness8878

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Where was this mentioned?

I tried checking charging with coconutBattery, and did not see much of an improvement after I upgraded to 11.2. On 11.1 it showed charging around 2.75w, and on 11.2 it shows around 3.0w. If I use the regular iPhone charger it shows around 3.5w, and an iPad charger shows around 7.5w. I can't believe wireless charging is really this slow. What is a typical value if it is fast charging?
In order to get the full affect of ‘Fast Charging’ the power adaptor must be plugged into an outlet not a power strip or any type of sharing connection. When you plug it into a dedicated outlet you get the full amperage

Reactions: pjl890

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
In order to get the full affect of ‘Fast Charging’ the power adaptor must be plugged into an outlet not a power strip or any type of sharing connection. When you plug it into a dedicated outlet you get the full amperage
I very much doubt that this is true. With a 10A fuse you’ll be able to run 76 30W chargers at maximum output simultaneously on the same circuit.

Now I know the US electrical systems sucks, but I find it hard to believe it’s that bad.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Bumping this.
Is there a way to tell if iPhone X or above is fast charging on iOS 13? Besides measuring it in % vs time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.