Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What year were you born?

• 1901-1924

• 1925-1942

• 1943-1960

• 1961-1979

• 1980-1998

• 1999-2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
MacRumors is probably the most Apple user forum outside of Facebook. I am wondering how young everyone is.

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
Yikes. It's a bit sobering to realise that I joined the forum before you were born!

Forum's creation date: 2000-02-24

My first Mac is a 2000 iMac G3 DV SE 200nm that was bought that Summer.

My sole complaint is that it was DVD-ROM drive and not a CD writer. Steve Jobs regretted that design decision.

It's much older than those 2 cherubs. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: mectojic

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
My first was a 2002 iBook, which happened to arrive on Valentine's Day 2003. The honeymoon is well and truly over at this point!

I'm 40 now :(

My 2012 iMac 27" 22nm, that I am typing this from, is now exactly 10. I eagerly look forward to a iMac 27" replacement M2 Pro 5nm to appear within 4 months.

The things I would have changed in 1990-onyward for a better future today.

If you are still in high school do better to get Latin Honors when graduating so you can go to a better Uni to meet better people and get better skills that hopefully get you into better organization that can use your better skill set.

Be encouraged to do that especially when both your parents will support you.

Only sure way for you to get the best life partners to bring out the best version of you.

If you want to have kids consider your life expectancy and how long you'd want to be with your kids and grand kids. I've recently realize that if you delay beyond your 20s you will have less time with the grand kids. Delaying beyond your 30s will impact your time with your own kids.

These things were never pointed out to me. I wish someone did even if it is considered impolite and being overbearing.

Not saying to get married with kids before 23 but after would be ideal.

Last edited:
Reactions: fatTribble

RokinAmerica

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2022
1993 I believe I bought my first Apple computer (had been using whatever IBM compatibles our company used for about 4 years). Performa 450 with I think 20MB HDD. Color monitor, mouse. Printer. Set me back probably about $2500 back then. But it was baddazzzz.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Around the time of the release of the "lampshade" 17inch iMac G4.
The iMac G4 is my favorite Apple design of all-time.

It will probably never happen, but I wished Apple came out with a special edition, 20th anniversary iMac G4, made with a similar design, just with AS and aluminum.

MacRumors is probably the most Apple user forum outside of Facebook. I am wondering how young everyone is.

It is a little late, but I would have separated into decades or even 5 year increments. I don't know for sure, but I would guess that most MR users would fit within the 80-98 category.

I was trying to figure out if there was a particular system you went by when doing the categories, but it almost seems at random. Some are 18 year gaps, some 19, some 24.

Then I thought that maybe you went by generation (baby boomers, Gen X, etc.), and while it is somewhat subjective what years are considered in a particular generation, it doesn't appear that the grouping goes with any of the common generation years I have seen.

Reactions: sam_dean

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Might I ask why you wish to know this?

Is it idle curiosity, or some sort of gathering of information for marketing purposes?

It strikes me as fairly a fairly personal question, and one that invariably raises questions when asked in an online context.

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
Might I ask why you wish to know this?

Is it idle curiosity, or some sort of gathering of information for marketing purposes?

It strikes me as fairly a fairly personal question, and one that invariably raises questions when asked in an online context.
I saw one thread on this forum that encouraged users to post selfies.

I was surprised to see replies were from persons of a certain generation so I wanted to do a poll on which generation would dominate the forum.

1st few replies of this thread were a surprise as I know that Facebook absorbed all new forum users.

Online forums with this exact format and style are old tech... I signed up for one with a >90% page layout similar to MR back in 2000.

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
It is a little late, but I would have separated into decades or even 5 year increments. I don't know for sure, but I would guess that most MR users would fit within the 80-98 category.

I was trying to figure out if there was a particular system you went by when doing the categories, but it almost seems at random. Some are 18 year gaps, some 19, some 24.

Then I thought that maybe you went by generation (baby boomers, Gen X, etc.), and while it is somewhat subjective what years are considered in a particular generation, it doesn't appear that the grouping goes with any of the common generation years I have seen.

The increments are generational based on one market research company defines it to be. I made comparisons with other companies and they use the same metric. That is how our society categories our people.

Reactions: fatTribble

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
There is hope for your generation yet.

I wish I and the people that mattered to me never ever signed up for Facebook.
Yeah. There are some uses for Facebook, such as Messenger, Facebook Marketplace, etc (which I don’t use, my parents do) but I personally am not on social media. I literally don’t see the point of TikTok.

Does the MacRumors Forums count as social media?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.