Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What year were you born?

• 1901-1924

• 1925-1942

• 1943-1960

• 1961-1979

• 1980-1998

• 1999-2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
Yeah. There are some uses for Facebook, such as Messenger, Facebook Marketplace, etc (which I don’t use, my parents do) but I personally am not on social media. I literally don’t see the point of TikTok.

Does the MacRumors Forums count as social media?
It counts as a social network as we are being social within a network.

TikTok's only useful if you like watching stupid girls.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
Ok. I do visit MacRumors regularly.
Unsolicited life advice if I was talking to my younger self:

Do not get addicted to or develop a habit for online forums or any other social network. Connect with people in real life if you want to have a life partner, get married or even have kids before you're too old to enjoy it.

If you prefer childfree then ignore what I said.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
Unsolicited life advice if I was talking to my younger self:

Do not get addicted to or develop a habit for online forums or any other social network. Connect with people in real life if you want to have a life partner, get married or even have kids before you're too old to enjoy it.

If you prefer childfree then ignore what I said.
Yeah, I should probably moderate myself and enjoy what the world has to offer.

Reactions: sam_dean

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
Yeah, I should probably moderate myself and enjoy what the world has to offer.

Be picky with the people you spend time in person.

They should want the best outcome for you and are smarter than you so you can learn from them and introduce good habits.

If you end up being the person who cares about them and is smarter then you're in the wrong room.

Reactions: fatTribble

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
Be picky with the people you spend time in person.

They should want the best outcome for you and are smarter than you so you can learn from them and introduce good habits.

If you end up being the person who cares about them and is smarter then you're in the wrong room.
Do you have experience? Because that sounds a little bit narcissistic to me.

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
Do you have experience? Because that sounds a little bit narcissistic to me.

I have a friend in his 40s who made the active choice to stop working a decade ago. He lives with his mother who does not take any pills and independently mobile.

He often invites me to meet up. I thought he wanted to see me for me.

During the 1st half year of COVID lockdown he was very insistent of seeing me in person for coffee.

I had to turn him down as the people I was with were immunocompromised.

He was insistent so I felt bemused and compromised to see him after operating hours so it is just me and him outdoors with no other persons around.

Over that half year I realized that he did not want to see me for me. It was a symptom of his daily routine of going to the mall and loitering being disrupted by the lockdown. It appears I'm the only person responding to him.

Common friends reached out to me and asked why our unemployed friend had so much time and behaved so unusually. I wasn't that critical so it took me awhile to realize why he behaved that way.

I learned a few bad habits from him and he encouraged me to do those bad habits. I will not list these habits as I do not want to get into a lengthy discussion why X Y and Z are socially acceptable. From my point of view if you've actively chosen and defended your decision to be part of the unemployed you should not spend like he does.

I am thankful he taught me stock investing at my age when I had an opportunity to start & learn at your age. But I disagree with his methods. He invests in 3+ dozen companies at a loss. I could explain further I dont want to waste your time.

Again... if you are the smartest person in the room... you're in the wrong room. It simply means be with people that you can learn from rather than be the person always teaching

Reactions: fatTribble

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
I have a friend in his 40s who made the active choice to stop working a decade ago. He lives with his mother who does not take any pills and independently mobile.

He often invites me to meet up. I thought he wanted to see me for me.

During the 1st half year of COVID lockdown he was very insistent of seeing me in person for coffee.

I had to turn him down as the people I was with were immunocompromised.

He was insistent so I felt bemused and compromised to see him after operating hours so it is just me and him outdoors with no other persons around.

Over that half year I realized that he did not want to see me for me. It was a symptom of his daily routine of going to the mall and loitering being disrupted by the lockdown. It appears I'm the only person responding to him.

Common friends reached out to me and asked why our unemployed friend had so much time and behaved so unusually. I wasn't that critical so it took me awhile to realize why he behaved that way.

I learned a few bad habits from him and he encouraged me to do those bad habits. I will not list these habits as I do not want to get into a lengthy discussion why X Y and Z are socially acceptable. From my point of view if you've actively chosen and defended your decision to be part of the unemployed you should not spend like he does.

I am thankful he taught me stock investing at my age when I had an opportunity to start & learn at your age. But I disagree with his methods. He invests in 3+ dozen companies at a loss. I could explain further I dont want to waste your time.

Again... if you are the smartest person in the room... you're in the wrong room. It simply means be with people that you can learn from rather than be the person always teaching
Ah ok. Perhaps then the most optimal relationship would be where both people are both learning from each other and teaching each other.

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
Ah ok. Perhaps then the most optimal relationship would be where both people are both learning from each other and teaching each other.
Perhaps but I rather be the padawan rather than the master.

Friend is also computer illiterate and is still on his 2016 iPhone SE until now. He only started to use it 5 years ago after his 2011 iPhone 4s got rainwater damage. He started using the 4s after 2 years when his Samsung feature phone stopped working in 2013.

He has money... he's just computer illiterate who buys 3 or more copies of the same book everytime he makes a purchase. Which is weird because he's young. Heck his mom used her iPhones on day 1 of purchase when her son did so nearing day 1,000.

Reactions: MmkLucario

RokinAmerica

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2022
I skipped a lot of stuff, mostly because I am old and don't give a crap. But pre Facebook and Instagram's, we did not have MacRumors either.

I relied on magazines with usually a disk for my Apple PC to get demos and such. Also, the mag was how we learned about tech.

Also after my Sat morning softball games, me and my future wife would go to get me, in her words, "Gigabytes and Megahertz" for my computers. And spend hours at Comp USA, Computer City, and Frye's back in the day.

• Love

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I'm fine providing little bits of personal information - my age included, although I totally understand how some people are hesitant to do this.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
34, my first proper Apple purchases were the 3rd gen iPod Classic and the 2005 MacBook Pro. My dad used to bring home some of the machines they were getting rid of at the schools though, so my first computer was an Apple II he had setup in my room. Later on those became IBMs and a Compaq.

I think we are just at the point where people don't care about their avatars anymore. Mine is just one of the default macOS user pictures for example. The culture is different to what it was 10+ years ago.

I've never met anyone who's as interested in tech as me. Even in community college the majority of those people had a hard time using Photoshop. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it's annoying. But that's because the computer is a tool and is meant to be paired with other applications besides being someone's tech support.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
People can ask me the age of my devices or such things on a forum as this. That’s why I keep that in my signature.

My private credentials are generally none of ppl's fkng business on places like this, unless I reveal it myself in conversation.
People who straight up ask about personal information without knowing them, I consider that as a sign of a low level of manner and no ethics in general.

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
There is never a wrong time to do the right thing. Ever. Follow that from now on and there is nothing to turn around.
Quarter century of stock market performance since the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis? lol I'd be living on at least $200k annual dividend for the past 2 decades. lol

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Interesting discussion, whether all in agreement or not. Sharing personal information (like age and motivation) can be an innocent way of connecting, but may be a bit too personal for some (as mentioned). Perhaps the reluctance is the stereotypical and biased impression of others it may create based on age (which is unfortunate).

But I often wonder why many members don't state their location in their profiles, which seems pretty innocent to me. Often seeing amorphous locations like "neverland" or the like. My curiosity is more where everyone is from, and not seeing a reason to hide that.

Last edited:

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I sense that your replies are in bad faith...
Not really. It’s simple.

People often include their birth year in their password. Even worse, many reuse the same password for: Banking, social media, corporate logins, online services, streaming media, cloud storage, gaming, etc., etc.

So knowing a persons age can help a bad actor guess their password. Get it now?

RokinAmerica

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2022
I don't know how or where this changed from how old we are to private info and such. As I said earlier, I neither followed all the chatter, not do I care. The question I saw, or at least interpreted it as: How young/ really how old.

As far as where we are, I don't even take time to fill anything out other than required to login and be a pain in the biscuits.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
@Nermal For some reason I can't wait till I'm 40... I hope it will be nice
While hopefully by 40 you will have much less immediate financial pressures you will start seeing the decline in physical abilities and general recovery. Your body will increasingly become more high maintenance than it used to be.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I don't know how or where this changed from how old we are to private info and such. As I said earlier, I neither followed all the chatter, not do I care. The question I saw, or at least interpreted it as: How young/ really how old.

As far as where we are, I don't even take time to fill anything out other than required to login and be a pain in the biscuits.
Well, at least being a pain in the biscuits must have been a great goal to achieve. 😄

Last edited:
  • Haha

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
Interesting discussion, whether all in agreement or not. Sharing personal information (like age and motivation) can be an innocent way of connecting, but may be a bit too personal for some (as mentioned). Perhaps the reluctance is the stereotypical and biased impression of others it may create based on age (which is unfortunate).

But I often wonder why many members don't state their location in their profiles, which seems pretty innocent to me. Often seeing amorphous locations like "neverland" or the like. My curiosity is more where everyone is from, and not seeing a reason to hide that. So many Apple enthusiasts from around the world connecting and discussing, a wonderful thing.

Based on the time of day of replies I assume that most of MR's userbase are in the GMT+1 to GMT-10 time zones.

You can determine this by the time stamps of the "Alerts".

Not really. It’s simple.

People often include their birth year in their password. Even worse, many reuse the same password for: Banking, social media, corporate logins, online services, streaming media, cloud storage, gaming, etc., etc.

So knowing a persons age can help a bad actor guess their password. Get it now?

It is worth repeating that when I made this poll I made the conscious choice to base it per generation so there's an idea on which age group uses MR without being too specific.

As someone pointed out the age range approaches every 2 decade. It was suggested that I use per decade or even half a decade as the origin is based on base-10. I made the choice to make it nearing 2 decades.

I wanted to know how many % of MR users are part of the

- Gen Z
- Millennials
- Gen X
- Baby Boomers
- Silent Gen
- Greatest Gen

The poll is a public one that can easily be ignored by anyone. It is not compulsory requirement to use MR.

If one were to sprinkle such sensitive data around I'd think that this poll is the least of their concern.

Knowing the person's age narrows down the birth date by as much as 365 days forward in time and 365 days backwards in time.

People are known to lie about their age. When I register on any site I claim to be a decade, 1 month and 10 days older as there is no govt ID requirement as supporting document. Even people I know would not know how to get into my Internet accounts.

Let us not infantilize MR users here by saying answering a poll is stealing their identity. It shows a marked disrespect to any of us.

The white shipping sticker and invoice from your Amazon Prime shipping boxes reveal more about you than this poll ever will. lol

Your city's trashman probably knows more about you than anyone here.

Last edited:

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
It is worth repeating that when I made this poll I made the conscious choice to base it per generation so there's an idea on which age group uses MR without being too specific.

As someone pointed out the age range approaches every 2 decade. It was suggested that I use per decade or even half a decade as the origin is based on base-10. I made the choice to make it nearing 2 decades.

The poll is a public one that can easily be ignored by anyone. It is not compulsory requirement to use MR.

If one were to sprinkle such sensitive data around I'd think that this poll is the least of their concern.

Knowing the person's age narrows down the birth date by as much as 365 days. People are known to lie about their age. When I register on any site I claim to be a decade, 1 month and 10 days older as there is no govt ID requirement as supporting document.
All good, but some appear to be publishing their exact ages here.

Maybe they’re publishing fake info like you? In which case… good for them! But if they‘re faking it to avoid being phished, then what use is knowing their claimed “age”?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.