Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What year were you born?

• 1901-1924

• 1925-1942

• 1943-1960

• 1961-1979

• 1980-1998

• 1999-2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
All good, but some appear to be publishing their exact ages here.

Maybe they’re publishing fake info like you? In which case… good for them! But if they‘re faking it to avoid being phished, then what use is knowing their claimed “age”?
It is worth repeating...

A fixed age is not accurate enough to steal your privacy.

Have you ever done an over the phone verification with any bank?

They throw at you at least a dozen layers of verification before you could ask that they reverse the late payment fee charges of your credit card that got auto activated even when you paid on the deadline date itself before the cut off banking hours.

They even demand an OTP to your smartphone that you are probably using to call them. Talk about another layer of inconvenience.

Also this is MR... almost everyone here needs to be Internet competent to even register on this site. It isn't a frictionless affair for Internet illiterates to use like Facebook.

You gotta love Apple products to join a rumor website's forum. That is so many levels of friction to even reply to this thread.

In any poll there's a margin of error. I take faking your age as variable to that.

That's why when I claim ~80% of all PCs annually shipped worldwide are laptops then it isn't a fixed number as it varies by certain percent points hence the tilde.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
But I often wonder why many members don't state their location in their profiles, which seems pretty innocent to me. Often seeing amorphous locations like "neverland" or the like. My curiosity is more where everyone is from, and not seeing a reason to hide that.
While an increasing fragmentation of the world seems to be the future, vast majority of the people continue to see themselves as "global citizens" and have a picture of the world in their heads from 10-20 years ago.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
But I often wonder why many members don't state their location in their profiles, which seems pretty innocent to me. Often seeing amorphous locations like "neverland" or the like. My curiosity is more where everyone is from, and not seeing a reason to hide that.
True point. I've said "United States," although I think it's become clear exactly where I live through some of my posts in other threads. Maybe I should just change the location to the city where I live, I have no idea...

Reactions: Richard8655

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Does the MacRumors Forums count as social media?
Good question. I don't count it as social media, nor any other specialty forum I use (just car forums for me).

While MR could probably fit in a definition of "social media", I don't consider it social media, at least not on the same level as something like FaceBook, because it has a high level anonymity to it.

People on MR don't usually post photos, videos, or personal details about themselves. The personal stuff that is posted can rarely be verified or corroborated like other social media.

While MR has a "follow" list, it isn't like a friends and family listing like some other social media.

Then again, I don't use FaceBook (or any other similar social media) and am going by assumptions that I made from taking to my wife that uses it, so I could be totally wrong, and MR might be more similar to FaceBook than I realize.

The increments are generational based on one market research company defines it to be. I made comparisons with other companies and they use the same metric. That is how our society categories our people.
I wanted to know how many % of MR users are part of the

- Gen Z
- Millennials
- Gen X
- Baby Boomers
- Silent Gen
- Greatest Gen
Can you post what market research company defines the generation in the years you have in the poll? Every generation year listed in the poll seem to be off by about 2-4 years from every standard I have seen (some organizations vary a little on certain generations).

The generational change is usually designated by a particular event or drastic change.

For example:

The Greatest Gen, the beginning and ending dates vary a lot, but most put the ending closer to the beginning of the Great Depression.

The Silent Generation beginning year is one that tends to vary some, with most marking it at the peak of the roaring 20's (1925 to 1929) right before the Great Depression. But it seems pretty consistent that The Silent Generation stops at the end of WWII (1945).

Baby Boomers is more of a set standard by the US Gov, as it marked the sharp rise in births in the US (and elsewhere) in 1946 after WWII, up until a sharp decline after 1964. This is according to US Census Bureau, as it is the only generation to officially be given a title (Baby Boomers).

Gen X start at 1965, the end of the sharp rise in birth rates. The end of Gen X tends to vary some.

The start of Millennials tends to be less consistent, ranging from 1978 to 1983, but the person that originally coined the term "Millennials" defined it as the first class that graduated in the new millennium (2000), which would be those born in 1982. The end of Millennials tend to vary a lot, from 1996 to 2001.

Gen Z is the least consistent, starting at 1997 to 2002, with some using the year after the 9/11 attacks as a marking of the beginning of Gen Z and ending between 2009 and 2014.

I guess it isn't important, but I was just curious with the years you chose to use for the generations (especially the Silent, Baby Boomer, and Gen X), because a lot of the dates fall outside of the commonly used dates that are usually associated with the different generations.

Reactions: decafjava

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
Can you post what market research company defines the generation in the years you have in the poll? Every generation year listed in the poll seem to be off by about 2-4 years from every standard I have seen (some organizations vary a little on certain generations).

The generational change is usually designated by a particular event or drastic change.

For example:

The Greatest Gen, the beginning and ending dates vary a lot, but most put the ending closer to the beginning of the Great Depression.

The Silent Generation beginning year is one that tends to vary some, with most marking it at the peak of the roaring 20's (1925 to 1929) right before the Great Depression. But it seems pretty consistent that The Silent Generation stops at the end of WWII (1945).

Baby Boomers is more of a set standard by the US Gov, as it marked the sharp rise in births in the US (and elsewhere) in 1946 after WWII, up until a sharp decline after 1964. This is according to US Census Bureau, as it is the only generation to officially be given a title (Baby Boomers).

Gen X start at 1965, the end of the sharp rise in birth rates. The end of Gen X tends to vary some.

The start of Millennials tends to be less consistent, ranging from 1978 to 1983, but the person that originally coined the term "Millennials" defined it as the first class that graduated in the new millennium (2000), which would be those born in 1982. The end of Millennials tend to vary a lot, from 1996 to 2001.

Gen Z is the least consistent, starting at 1997 to 2002, with some using the year after the 9/11 attacks as a marking of the beginning of Gen Z and ending between 2009 and 2014.

I guess it isn't important, but I was just curious with the years you chose to use for the generations (especially the Silent, Baby Boomer, and Gen X), because a lot of the dates fall outside of the commonly used dates that are usually associated with the different generations.

I used a combination of reference to come up with those increments

- https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/01/17/where-millennials-end-and-generation-z-begins/
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation
- https://www.parents.com/parenting/b...on-names-and-years-a-cheat-sheet-for-parents/

As my curiosity has zero commercial, academic or industrial applications then I was loose with the increments

I could not find one of the other sites I used.

Also thank you for the backgrounder on how those years were based upon. As my sole interest was to establish age ranges then I just look at that only so that I could get from point A to be B as quickly as possible.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I used a combination of reference to come up with those increments

- https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/01/17/where-millennials-end-and-generation-z-begins/
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation
- https://www.parents.com/parenting/b...on-names-and-years-a-cheat-sheet-for-parents/

As my curiosity has zero commercial, academic or industrial applications then I was loose with the increments

I could not find one of the other sites I used.

Also thank you for the backgrounder on how those years were based upon. As my sole interest was to establish age ranges then I just look at that only so that I could get from point A to be B as quickly as possible.
Okay thanks, although with the links, pretty much they all line up with commonly used years that I used in the example I provided.

I guess it doesn't really matter, just that the years being off in the poll really stood out to me, and was curious at what method that was used to separate them.

I am pretty sure your neighborhood homeless know more about you than anyone reading this forum.
Big, white, balloons in the sky might know more about you than anyone reading this forum.

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
It is inappropriate to ask women about their age. Learn it and get over it.
Point to when I clicked on anyone's username and addressed any specific person, much less lady, about their age?

It's a poll on which generation willing participants want to voluntarily, with consent, share.

I just want to know if there are more young/old people than me... or I'm the majority.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Point to when I clicked on anyone's username and addressed any specific person, much less lady, about their age?

It's a poll on which generation willing participants want to voluntarily, with consent, share.

I just want to know if there are more young/old people than me... or I'm the majority.
It is still not clear that you adequately understood the certain "push back" from the female users of the forum.

Going back to the topic I believe it has been already discussed to death that forums are mostly used by the middle aged people and younger people are mostly on discord and the like. There are always exceptions to the rule.

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
It is still not clear that you adequately understood the certain "push back" from the female users of the forum.
I never asked anyone's gender, country of origin, ethnicity, faith, preferred pronoun, political leanings, etc.

Why?

Because I'm not curious.
Going back to the topic I believe it has been already discussed to death that forums are mostly used by the middle aged people and younger people are mostly on discord and the like. There are always exceptions to the rule.
Forums as in MR or other ones?

I was surprised by MR's tally that it is ~50% millenials. Other forums I go to are ~80% baby boomers.

Reactions: fatTribble

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I never asked anyone's gender, country of origin, ethnicity, faith, preferred pronoun, political leanings, etc.

Why?

Because I'm not curious.
Just respectfully accept the fact that for some things you will be punished more so than for the start of the nuclear WW3. This is the kind of "understanding" that helps "bad guys" finish first and something that "good guys" are unable to grasp.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
29….Looking at all the replies…I feel old! Haha.

Rocks back and fourth…*Its okay to be 30 and single…its okay to be 30 and single*
Hey, if it's any encouragement - I watched a lot of people I knew get married 10+ years before I did. Most of them are now (several times) divorced, going through divorces, or wishing they were divorced. I waited till my late 20s to get married (to find the right someone) and a few months ago marked my 11th year of marriage to someone I can't spend enough time with even today.

It's definitely okay.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Pet Peeve time
I hate when someone mentions an age of an older person in years young, e.g., here's my grandmother, and she's 72 years young - isn't she spry? No, sorry but grandma is 72 years old. [/rant]

I was born in the 1960s and I feel the same as I did in my 20s. Its just my body doesn't let me do things I used too

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am 52.

My first computer was a TRS-80 in 1980. My second computer and the one I used the most was the Commodore 64 in 1984. I discovered the Bulletin Board System (BBS) in 1985. By 1986 I was running my own BBS. By 1989 I had a Commodore 128.

In 1990 I got my first PC, a homebuilt (not by me) 286 with a 40mb hard drive. In 1993 I acquired the Amiga 1000 with a 1mb sidecar from a guy joining the Navy. In 1994 I got a 486 and by 1995 my mom brought home her first Mac. I wasn't interested.

In 1997 I had a homebuilt AMD 586. It was stolen later that year and replaced with a Pentium system. In 1999 I got my first job in my profession, the Desert Sun in Palm Springs, CA. They used Macs.

1999 saw my first cellphone, a flip phone Samsung SCH-3500.

By 2000, the office in Indio where I worked had G4s. In late 2000 my wife and I moved to Phoenix. Early 2001 I bought parts for and built a computer of which I do not recall the details. I bricked it with a firmware update some time in 2002 I think.

I got a TiBook 400 for Christmas 2001. Didn't use it much. Work computers were G4s until February 2005 when the boss bought a G5 brand new.

I converted to Mac fully in 2003. Work G5 lasted until 2013. I started getting my own Macs when the TiBook died in 2009. That started a collection of PowerBook G4s, PowerMac G4s and G5s (the last being a Quad). I went fully Intel Mac in May 2020.

My youngest Mac is a late 2009 Mini running Mojave via a patcher. I am typing this on a 2009 Mac Pro running Mojave.

My current job has me using a 2015 MBP. It will be replaced soon.

My first serious forums were the QuarkXPress forums in 2001. I joined here in August 2011.

Since 1984 my life has revolved around computers and online BBS/forums. I do not intend to change.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Two thoughts about this thread:

1. We either have two old-timers, or two jokers who picked between 99 and 122 years old. I applaud it either way.

2. One of the categories is people born after 1999, wondering if we have Tonka-toy computers they're visiting on... and then realize that would be around age 23 now 😵

• Haha
Reactions: fatTribble
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.