Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What year were you born?

• 1901-1924

• 1925-1942

• 1943-1960

• 1961-1979

• 1980-1998

• 1999-2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
Wow, three people 70s and older, one in their 90s.
In the 90s my great grandma and her sisters died in their 90s.

Her daughter died at 90 last December. I then realized that WW2 started when she was 9.

Ended when she was 13. 1st moon landing occurred when she was 37.

Last edited:
Reactions: compwiz1202

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
If you don't want to answer then go to the next topic. That the beauty of the Internet. You're not face to face so there's no confrontation. You move on and block if you want to...
Actually in a way I did answer.
I am not sure what were you are trying to say with your "if you don't like iPhone buy Android" type comment.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Might I ask why you wish to know this?

Is it idle curiosity, or some sort of gathering of information for marketing purposes?

It strikes me as fairly a fairly personal question, and one that invariably raises questions when asked in an online context.
It’s funny but I have increasingly felt like the oddball for not wanting to share every aspect of my life publicly. I’ve had to ask friends not to post pictures of me on social media. I have nothing to hide, but it seemed like bragging to post vacation photos. I completely dropped Facebook because I never had anything I thought was worth sharing.

But in no way did I consider a post asking age ranges any violation of privacy or consider it was for nefarious purposes. This is a pretty interesting thread to me.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Be picky with the people you spend time in person.

They should want the best outcome for you and are smarter than you so you can learn from them and introduce good habits.

If you end up being the person who cares about them and is smarter then you're in the wrong room.
Geez, where were you when I was in my 20s 😀

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
It’s funny but I have increasingly felt like the oddball for not wanting to share every aspect of my life publicly. I’ve had to ask friends not to post pictures of me on social media.

In a reversal of age stereotypes, my Dad and I commonly get into arguments about this when it comes to my 2 year old daughter. My wife and I generally keep her off all social media, and instead have a shared album that family is welcome to subscribe to instead. Drives my Dad nuts - calls us a bunch of luddites and can't believe we haven't set up a TikTok channel for her yet. :p :p

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I am 52.

My first computer was a TRS-80 in 1980. My second computer and the one I used the most was the Commodore 64 in 1984. I discovered the Bulletin Board System (BBS) in 1985. By 1986 I was running my own BBS. By 1989 I had a Commodore 128.

In 1990 I got my first PC, a homebuilt (not by me) 286 with a 40mb hard drive. In 1993 I acquired the Amiga 1000 with a 1mb sidecar from a guy joining the Navy. In 1994 I got a 486 and by 1995 my mom brought home her first Mac. I wasn't interested.

In 1997 I had a homebuilt AMD 586. It was stolen later that year and replaced with a Pentium system. In 1999 I got my first job in my profession, the Desert Sun in Palm Springs, CA. They used Macs.

1999 saw my first cellphone, a flip phone Samsung SCH-3500.

By 2000, the office in Indio where I worked had G4s. In late 2000 my wife and I moved to Phoenix. Early 2001 I bought parts for and built a computer of which I do not recall the details. I bricked it with a firmware update some time in 2002 I think.

I got a TiBook 400 for Christmas 2001. Didn't use it much. Work computers were G4s until February 2005 when the boss bought a G5 brand new.

I converted to Mac fully in 2003. Work G5 lasted until 2013. I started getting my own Macs when the TiBook died in 2009. That started a collection of PowerBook G4s, PowerMac G4s and G5s (the last being a Quad). I went fully Intel Mac in May 2020.

My youngest Mac is a late 2009 Mini running Mojave via a patcher. I am typing this on a 2009 Mac Pro running Mojave.

My current job has me using a 2015 MBP. It will be replaced soon.

My first serious forums were the QuarkXPress forums in 2001. I joined here in August 2011.

Since 1984 my life has revolved around computers and online BBS/forums. I do not intend to change.
I’m 56. My first computer was a TRS-80 too! Bought it in 1978. Well, my Dad bought it and I paid him back at a glacially slow pace. Started with 4K of memory and eventually worked up to a whopping 48K with a floppy disk. I still have it and it still “boots up” but my media is shot sadly.

Reactions: eyoungren

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
My internal age is also 25... even though I'm celebrating the 35th anniversary of my 21st birthday next month.
When I was a little kid my neighbor called me the 40 year old midget. I was usually more interested in sitting around talking to adults than I was playing. I think he called it. I always felt around 40.
(Sorry for the midget term. Not sure if it’s offensive but it does seem dated)

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I liked to think I was smarter than the average kid back in the 80s. Given that so many of the kids I went to school with never really got past highschool in their development I had some justification.

But, with certain things it turns out I was pretty much an idiot. When I was 16 I had my driver's license and a car. I let my Diamond Back bicycle go to kids down the street - a regret I have to this day. That brand of bike was king in BMX then (along with Redline and Oakley).

I also let my C64 and C128 go in the mid-90s because I had a PC! :rolleyes: What a moron I was, because I had software out the wazoo for that system. Now, to get back what I had it will ultimately run me a few hundred dollars as the value of those systems today is high.
You’re not alone. I got rid of all my albums (mostly soundtracks to sci-fi movies) thinking I was modernizing. Still feel like an idiot and my gut hurts whenever I think about it. On the plus side that experience made me hold on to my Laserdiscs with both hands. 🤓

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I'll just say that I identify more with my wife's end of Gen-X than with later born Gen-X members. She was born in 1965 and I was born in 1970. There is enough of a five year gap that some of the things that were part of her childhood I had no experience with. She was five when I was born.

But those born say in 1978-1980 I'm more out of touch with. These are people who were 10 or 11 years old when I was 21. There's always respect of course (when I was 21 I was the DM (Dungeon Master) for a group of teens playing Dungeons & Dragons), but a lot of their touchstones weren't mine.
I used to joke that I have nothing in common with anyone born after Star Wars. (1977)
I’m glad that was only a joke because my best friend was born after Star Wars.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I’m 56. My first computer was a TRS-80 too! Bought it in 1978. Well, my Dad bought it and I paid him back at a glacially slow pace. Started with 4K of memory and eventually worked up to a whopping 48K with a floppy disk. I still have it and it still “boots up” but my media is shot sadly.
My dad simply brought home the TRS-80. We were not expecting it. My sister messed with it a bit then went back to her own things. It was interesting for a while, but ultimately I wasn't into learning BASIC or sitting there typing code in from magazines - so I moved on too.

It's only when the C64 allowed me to play already created games that I got serious.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
@eyoungren You old enough to remember LaserDiscs? I've only heard about them, have never seen the real thing.
I still have mine thankfully! My nephew will sometimes snicker at my old tech as if he personally developed the iPhone. I try to explain that to understand tech from previous eras you have to compare it to what was available previously rather than to what we have today. VCRs had terrible picture quality but they were far better than not recording anything and missing a show. Early cell phones were terrible compared to iPhones but they were infinitely better than getting stuck along the road without any phone.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
My dad asked my mom to bring back a Pioneer CLD-3030 for us during a late 80s trip from HK.

For more than a decade we enjoyed renting Laser Discs of Star Wars, Indiana Johns and other movies in crystal clear image quality on our then 21" Sony CRT. It even had weird digital f/x that made the images into a checkered flag-pattern of the video.

First time to experience media that had more than 1 language option when I watched Japanese Ultraman & Godzilla LaserDiscs. Had to call the LaserDisc rental shop as to why everyone werent speaking English. They walked us through over the landline on how to select the English audio track.

It was way better than the Betamax tapes (popular VCR format outside of the US) we rented down the street.

When my dad heard that the LaserDisc rental space was closing down a decade later he bought out whatever used music video LD that suit his fancy. Sadly he never watched them again and now is gathering dust like his LP collection.

I guess I should have learned from my dad's media collection when I started stockpiling CD-Rs and DVD-Rs in the early 00s. Money would have been better spent in year 2001-onward on an iPod for music.

HDD in a HTPC connected via component video from 2000-2007 and HDMI port from 2007-onward. When HDD is nearing 5 year warranty sell as used to buy a new 5 year warranty HDD and double the capacity.

But in hindsight... maybe all these video distractions of the last 4 decades would have been better reduced to <20% so I'd get better quality of sleep and be on time to my best destiny.
I actually had a used Betamax machine that I bought from my Dad’s coworker. I paid $275 in 1980 for that. According to the inflation calculator that’s about $1000 today. 😳
It was worth it. I was able to record all of the Star Trek episodes available at that time. Bwahahaha 🤓

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
On FB there's hide for 30 days or hide forever. I do not think it's worth MR's R&D money to engineer something that specific.

I was actually looking for "block" so I do not see a warning that ignored person is replying. I don't want the mods to work overtime due to curiosity of unignoring.

When someone has too vivid and imagination that the world's out to get them... it may be time to see less of that and enjoy your leisure time on MR.

I signed up here to talk about the latest and greatest as the people around me aren't Apple nuts.
It’s funny that most of my friends are Apple nuts and yet they seem oblivious to what Apple has released. When the new iOS releases they’ll ask me what’s in it. When the iPhone releases they’ll ask me about it. I’m dumbfounded that they won’t, at a minimum, go to the Apple site to check it out.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
My dad simply brought home the TRS-80. We were not expecting it. My sister messed with it a bit then went back to her own things. It was interesting for a while, but ultimately I wasn't into learning BASIC or sitting there typing code in from magazines - so I moved on too.

It's only when the C64 allowed me to play already created games that I got serious.
Oh I spent many hours with my best friend at the time typing in games from magazines. I did a lot in BASIC and later went to the university to become a software engineer. The TRS-80 was a huge influence on me. At 12 years old when I got it I finally felt like I was out of the dark ages. The C64 looked really nice but my finances wouldn’t support both.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Be picky with the people you spend time in person.

They should want the best outcome for you and are smarter than you so you can learn from them and introduce good habits.

If you end up being the person who cares about them and is smarter then you're in the wrong room.
If you already know how to pick the right people to be around you are doing great. Because picking the right people is the key and the hardest thing to accomplish. Unless your approach is very superficial gold-digger like.

The problem with the smart people is that 100% of the time they will use you for their own gain. In order to achieve that they will even pretend and make you believe that you are "one of the boys". You know there are plenty of people who are very proud of being invited to the dinner without realizing that they are actually in fact "the dinner".

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Oh I spent many hours with my best friend at the time typing in games from magazines. I did a lot in BASIC and later went to the university to become a software engineer. The TRS-80 was a huge influence on me. At 12 years old when I got it I finally felt like I was out of the dark ages. The C64 looked really nice but my finances wouldn’t support both.

My Dad brought home a CoCo when I was little - I remember playing Sands of Egypt on it. My nerdy side sometimes wishes I was born about 10 years earlier, as I was too young to really appreciate the era of hobbyist computing in the late 70s and early 80s.

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
It’s funny that most of my friends are Apple nuts and yet they seem oblivious to what Apple has released. When the new iOS releases they’ll ask me what’s in it. When the iPhone releases they’ll ask me about it. I’m dumbfounded that they won’t, at a minimum, go to the Apple site to check it out.
They might be looking for small talk...

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
I actually had a used Betamax machine that I bought from my Dad’s coworker. I paid $275 in 1980 for that. According to the inflation calculator that’s about $1000 today. 😳
It was worth it. I was able to record all of the Star Trek episodes available at that time. Bwahahaha 🤓
I still have thsoe Betamax tapes and 2 players today. I just fear that playing it would result in a stuck tape that either melted over time or spread fungus due to humidity.

What's important in the collection though is that there are some home movies I'd love to show off after half a century has passed. I remembered my dad transferring footage from a Video8 to Betamax. That same Video8 tape is compatible with Digital8 camcorder with FW400. So in theory I could easily move them to any old PPC or early Mac with FW that I still have.

The reason we went Mac in 2000 was because of iMovie. At first I thought... "no more games!"We made a cost analysis and it came out it was cheaper to buy a 2000 iMac G3 DV SE 200nm + Sony Digital8 camcorder than to hire someone to do video for us.

Doing so taught us a valuable skill that very few had a time. There was Adobe Premier for Windows 98SE back then but the software itself cost nearly that of an iMac and was more complicated/buggy. o_O This was months before OS9.2.2 was about to transition to OS X.

Last edited:

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
If you already know how to pick the right people to be around you are doing great. Because picking the right people is the key and the hardest thing to accomplish. Unless your approach is very superficial gold-digger like.

The problem with the smart people is that 100% of the time they will use you for their own gain. In order to achieve that they will even pretend and make you believe that you are "one of the boys". You know there are plenty of people who are very proud of being invited to the dinner without realizing that they are actually in fact "the dinner".
A balance would be good and a good head to know you're being taken for a ride.

I have suffered friendship where in it led to unpaid loans then the person hides or unfinished projects. I'd want to distance myself from such bad decisions.

Just know when to exit or else you've wasted time you may not have much anymore.

What I wish I pursued were instances where in financial literacy improved beyond savings account. Such as when I had money during the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis and then buying into telco stocks at their all time low. This was at a time when prepaid SIMs was about to be introduced months later. I'd be enjoying >$200k annual div for the last 2 decades. The purpose of which is for peace of mind if ever something catastrophic occurs like losing work/business.

I could point to a few points in time I made a bad decision that I could have avoided if I was a bit more critical with what sort of mindset or habits the person I was looking at had.

Use knowing your worth and the worth of your time and I would think it would lead to better choices in life.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.