Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What year were you born?

• 1901-1924

• 1925-1942

• 1943-1960

• 1961-1979

• 1980-1998

• 1999-2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
So, if I understand you correctly, Prince Metternich was a real life "smart" person and Colonel Kurtz a fictional one?
Sorry I did not study your links very closely but I believe that yes you are on a right path, anybody with a strong statesmanship competencies would certainly qualify as a "smart" person.
It does not have to be about political leaders though as "power dynamics games" are played to death in just about every US sitcom.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Yea the best thing is I am generally terrified of strangers, but at an arcade, you already know they have a common interest, and it's fun. Same with any other face to face club. You are all there because you like a common thing like chess or D&D or computers or video games. I don't want to go to some generel meetup where you just talk. I like to do something while talking like board games cards etc...
It‘s the same way I feel about the Star Trek convention. Everyone is happy to be there. I’ve never seen someone judge another because they aren’t an expert or because they haven’t seen a series. It’s just a bunch of people with common interests. Coincidentally, many people there like video games too. 🤓

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
It‘s the same way I feel about the Star Trek convention. Everyone is happy to be there. I’ve never seen someone judge another because they aren’t an expert or because they haven’t seen a series. It’s just a bunch of people with common interests. Coincidentally, many people there like video games too. 🤓
Yea I need to get to some sort of convention some day.

Reactions: fatTribble

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
One day I'd love to go to a Trek/Comic book/MCU convention on the west coast one day. Get to meet and have a paid photo/autograph with any of the Trek cast.

I still remember going to Star Trek The Experience at Hilton Las Vegas on the 1st year of operation. I was in the US when the year it closed down.

• Love
Reactions: fatTribble

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
One day I'd love to go to a Trek/Comic book/MCU convention on the west coast one day. Get to meet and have a paid photo/autograph with any of the Trek cast.

I still remember going to Star Trek The Experience at Hilton Las Vegas on the 1st year of operation. I was in the US when the year it closed down.
I went to The Experience the month it closed — and loved it. It’s what convinced me to give the Las Vegas convention a try. I’ve gone every year since 2011 and look forward to the next one all year.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I feared for my wallet so quietly disappeared after exactly 3 years with them.
My ability to enter a comic book shop and drop $100 for whatever I wanted became curtailed shortly after getting married. That's not a dig against marriage (my wife and I have been married over 25 years now), just an acknowledgement of reality. It's not a lot of fun trying to read stuff when the lights have been shut off, etc.

I just abandoned most of that simply because I cannot spend all that I want when I want. That isn't to say I haven't picked some stuff up over time, but if you look at all the stuff I have in my garage, it all predates 1997.

One of the reasons I look forward to our kids finally moving out. :) I love them, but my wife and I want our lives before kids back!

Last edited:

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
I went to The Experience the month it closed — and loved it. It’s what convinced me to give the Las Vegas convention a try. I’ve gone every year since 2011 and look forward to the next one all year.
I was there in April 2008. Was unaware that it was closing months later. :-(

My mom was rather proud I was able to speak broken Klingon in April 1998... lol

I only had knowledge of TNG up to Season 3 in 1991 as the TV station stopped airing any new episode. So when I visited in 1998 I was clueless about the rest of TNG and the whole of DS9 and VOY.

Whatever I knew about Start Trek during that Trek-less decade was from the novels.

My only knowledge of Reunification (Spock episode), Relics (Scotty episode) and All Good Things (Series Finale) were from the novel adaptions. When I finally watch the episodes on DVD via the Star Trek Club and the remasters via Netflix I finally understood the full context of the scenes shown.

I am somewhat thankful for the Trek drought. It helped improve my English writing/reading skills. Make me enjoy reading a whole novel within 6hrs.

So I eventually compiled a photon torpedo quantity of novels.

Last edited:

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
My ability to enter a comic book shop and drop $100 for whatever I wanted became curtailed shortly after getting married. That's not a dig against marriage (my wife and I have been married over 25 years now), just an acknowledgement of reality. It's not a lot of fun trying to read stuff when the lights have been shut off, etc.

I just abandoned most of that simply because I cannot spend all that I want when I want. That isn't to say I haven't picked some stuff up over time, but if you look at all the stuff I have in my garage it all predates 1997.

One of the reasons I look forward to our kids finally moving out. :) I love them, but my wife and I want our lives before kids back!
In my case comic books stopped when the Internet appeared. Shifting interest of my circle of friends.

Although looking back I wish I put money in the stock market instead. Having a steady annual dividend spanning nearly 3 decades and counting would be a nice safety net.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Believe it or not, you can still connect a Digital8 camcorder to a modern Mac and digitize those old tapes. I do it with my M1 MBA and it works great. Just need a Firewire to DisplayPort adapter. :)
Technically, it'd be a FireWire-to-Thunderbolt adapter. Then you can daisy-chain it to the Thunderbolt 2-to-3 adapter. I've also done that with my M1 MacBook Air and it gets the job done...
E0DFFEEA-B1D9-4E4B-BFDC-1B2C340EF017_1_105_c.jpeg

Also, I'm 34 years old, though I feel like I'm still in my 20s... (And others often assume I am in my 20s when they see me, too.)

Reactions: dmr727

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Technically, it'd be a FireWire-to-Thunderbolt adapter. Then you can daisy-chain it to the Thunderbolt 2-to-3 adapter. I've also done that with my M1 MacBook Air and it gets the job done...

Oops! You're right, I was thinking about my old 2015 MBP. One extra step now! Appreciate the correction. :)

Reactions: dandeco

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Hey, if it's any encouragement - I watched a lot of people I knew get married 10+ years before I did. Most of them are now (several times) divorced, going through divorces, or wishing they were divorced. I waited till my late 20s to get married (to find the right someone) and a few months ago marked my 11th year of marriage to someone I can't spend enough time with even today.

It's definitely okay.
I honestly loved reading this. Currently not seeing anyone, but I am really hoping to find that special someone. Only time will tell! Thanks for the thoughtful reply! Happy to hear that you are 11 years in! That’s amazing!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I honestly loved reading this. Currently not seeing anyone, but I am really hoping to find that special someone. Only time will tell! Thanks for the thoughtful reply! Happy to hear that you are 11 years in! That’s amazing!
I started dating my wife when I was 24. That was 1995. We got married in 1997 and in November 2023 it will be 26 years together.

The key for me at 24 was to stop looking - then it just happened.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I was 13 during the summer of 1984. That was a great summer, spent playing games on my Commodore 64. Later that year my mom got the idea to start visiting a local user group for the Commodore. That's when I discovered that the UG had a BBS (Bulletin Board System). I managed to get a 300bps modem for a C64 somehow and got online to the BBS.

I have never been offline since 14. I'm 53 now.

Nice to have you here.

PS. My daughter is 15.

• Love
Reactions: AhmetRyzen

AhmetRyzen

Suspended
Dec 31, 2023
Adana, Turkey
I was 13 during the summer of 1984. That was a great summer, spent playing games on my Commodore 64. Later that year my mom got the idea to start visiting a local user group for the Commodore. That's when I discovered that the UG had a BBS (Bulletin Board System). I managed to get a 300bps modem for a C64 somehow and got online to the BBS.

I have never been offline since 14. I'm 53 now.

Nice to have you here.

PS. My daughter is 15.
Hope you have a nice life 🤗

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.