Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What year were you born?

• 1901-1924

• 1925-1942

• 1943-1960

• 1961-1979

• 1980-1998

• 1999-2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
@Nermal For some reason I can't wait till I'm 40... I hope it will be nice
I have just re-read this thread - in its entirety, and was struck by this post.

Anyway, in my experience, I think that it will be nice; this is because some of us are just born feeling "middle-aged" or 'old'.

Some have written that they are still feeling 'around 25" irrespective of their real age.

I'm one of those who felt 40 (mentally, psychologically), even as a teenager, let alone when I was in my twenties, and actually felt - when my real age coincided with my mental age, in other words, when I became 40 in real life - that I was now comfortable - actually, pretty comfortable - in my own skin, and that I (had) have finally come into my own.

Actually, I love middle age, - I was useless at being young, - as my body and mind are now in comfortable accord.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I love teaching people who appreciate it. I don't like the ones who can't remember and keep asking the same question or who keep arguing even though you are an expect. And sometimes you can learn things from people who are not as smart.

EDIT: And one of the absolute greatest feelings is when you see someone you are helping's eyes light up and the light bulb appears.
Fantastic post, and one that I meant to respond to earlier.

This is exactly the reason that I loved teaching, that "lightbulb" moment that you sometimes saw light up in a student's eyes.

This was made everything else completely worthwhile, and was something you treasured (and cherished, when it happened, revisiting the memory); an absolutely wonderful experience.

Re the wider subject, of learning from, or teaching people, (and which may be better) I have always loved both, even as a child.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm probably the youngest person on this place. There are also members in Turkish forums who are 7 years old. There are too many of them.
Actually, - and it is nice to see teenagers and adolescents here - I very much doubt it.

I think that people as young as 13 are allowed to join this forum (must confirm this by checking the rules), and I am willing to wager that you will find some of them in the more tech oriented sections of the site, especially if this is where their interests and passions lie, in other words, if they have an aptitude for, and interest in, tech.

What is relatively unusual is to find adolescents choosing to spend time in the 'social' (or community) sections of the forum, but - to me - that is a good thing.

Reactions: AhmetRyzen

AhmetRyzen

Suspended
Dec 31, 2023
Adana, Turkey
Actually, - and it is nice to see teenagers and adolescents here - I very much doubt it.

I think that people as young as 13 are allowed to join this forum (must confirm this by checking the rules), and I am willing to wager that you will find some of them in the more tech oriented sections of the site, especially if this is where their interests and passions lie, in other words, if they have an aptitude for, and interest in, tech.

What is relatively unusual is to find adolescents choosing to spend time in the 'social' (or community) sections of the forum, but - to me - that is a good thing.
Actually, the worst part about this place is that in a few years it will be the diary of dead people. 🙁
Sometimes I get bored and come here to relax.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I am somewhere between birth and death. How far along that path I am currently, I won't know until the end.

Unlike many here who are saying "I'm forever 25" or "I was born a middle aged man", I have (so far) lived each year in what I believe to be a fully age appropriate way. I love variety in life, and the thought of always being the same, or always acting/feeling a set age, doesn't appeal. Subconsciously, I'm probably ensuring that doesn't happen.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Part of the most ignored Generation here.
7d3da7bba31fc3d5a227ac69f944ace2140e0df69f642c7ac6836396d5da27b2_1.jpg

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Apparently, I'm older than 81% of MacRumors members - if you consider 158 votes to be a representative sample of over a million members... which I don't. 🤣 If I really want to feel old, I can go to Facebook and see posts from my former students that I remember as college freshmen, who now have grandchildren!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I am somewhere between birth and death. How far along that path I am currently, I won't know until the end.

Unlike many here who are saying "I'm forever 25" or "I was born a middle aged man", I have (so far) lived each year in what I believe to be a fully age appropriate way. I love variety in life, and the thought of always being the same, or always acting/feeling a set age, doesn't appeal. Subconsciously, I'm probably ensuring that doesn't happen.
I never said that "I was born a middle aged man"; I said that I have always felt that I was born middle-aged.

And I love middle age, for you develop a sense of having grown into yourself, of confidence in yourself, along with having become comfortable in your own skin.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Actually, speaking (writing?) about age, time, generations (real, imagined, assigned or putative), I have just noticed that someone (and yes, @AhmetRyzen, I'm looking at you), seems to have resurrected what had been a thoroughly dead thread, a classic necro thread, and one moreover, where the OP is no longer with us on the forum.

Well, I am as guilty as anyone else here in succumbing to the siren lure of something that I am more than old enough to know better not to have been tempted by.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I never said that "I was born a middle aged man"; I said that I have always felt that I was born middle-aged.

And I love middle age, the sense of having grown into yourself, that sense of confidence in yourself, along with how comfortable you are in your skin.
Out of 10 pages of posts, I wasn't quoting your musings directly but was summarising the sentiment made across various posts that fitted the point I wanted to make :)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
The trick is to put no effort into fitness or health in your 20s, and only start once you hit 40 so you can say "Wow, I've never felt fitter!" and annoy people.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Actually, speaking (writing?) about age, time, generations (real, imagined, assigned or putative), I have just noticed that someone (and yes, @AhmetRyzen, I'm looking at you), seems to have resurrected what had been a thoroughly dead thread, a classic necro thread, and one moreover, where the OP is no longer with us on the forum.

Well, I am as guilty as anyone else here in succumbing to the siren lure of something that I am more than old enough to know better not to have been tempted by.
Is that a bad thing?

I don't think it's bad if someone resurrects a dead thread, with two exceptions:
  1. The thread has been LONG dead - like over 5 or so years
  2. A reply to the thread is futile - it's a "permanently ignored" thread
Otherwise, sure, I've resurrected plenty of seemingly dead threads, and I never feel ashamed of it.

AhmetRyzen

Suspended
Dec 31, 2023
Adana, Turkey

I did not mean that. We will all die when our time comes. I hope we all live for many years, but decades from now this will be the diary of those of us who have died. So for me, the word "a few" does not mean a number between 5-10 as you would understand. I apologize if I was misunderstood, which I was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.