Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What year were you born?

• 1901-1924

• 1925-1942

• 1943-1960

• 1961-1979

• 1980-1998

• 1999-2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm a child of the Summer of Love . . . if there was a plan, I don't think anyone implemented it.

Thankfully, there is one in-place, now ;)
As I've mentioned previously, I'm Gen-X (born 1970). But, amongst other Gen-Xer's I am an oddity. Most Gen-Xer's have Baby Boomer parents, but my parents are from the Silent Generation. They waited until they were in their late 20s and early 30s to have me and my sister.

This makes my own children oddities as well because my wife and I waited until our 30s and 40s to have our kids. So, Gen-Z kids with Gen-X parents.

In my case, having Silent Generation parents led to what I perceive as being raised quite a bit differently than other X-ers. I was still a latchkey kid, but I got the Silent Generation ethos and not the Boomer ethos.

Reactions: splifingate

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
As I've mentioned previously, I'm Gen-X (born 1970). But, amongst other Gen-Xer's I am an oddity. Most Gen-Xer's have Baby Boomer parents, but my parents are from the Silent Generation. They waited until they were in their late 20s and early 30s to have me and my sister.

This makes my own children oddities as well because my wife and I waited until our 30s and 40s to have our kids. So, Gen-Z kids with Gen-X parents.

In my case, having Silent Generation parents led to what I perceive as being raised quite a bit differently than other X-ers. I was still a latchkey kid, but I got the Silent Generation ethos and not the Boomer ethos.
Interesting. I had Silent Generation parents as well but I'm not sure I know Silent Generation ethos vs Boomer.

Edit: Removed ambiguous language.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

You made me look up:

…was not familiar with that term…always thought “greatest” generation preceded BBs. 🤔

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Interesting. I had Silent Generation parents as well but I'm not sure I know Silent Generation ethos vs Boomer.

Edit: Removed ambiguous language.
I'll use my father as the better example since he was born in 1936 and there is a six year difference between him and my mom.

My dad's life was tempered by a stint in the Korean War with the USMC, which he left shortly before America started sending troops (advisors) to Vietnam.

My dad was an age sufficient to still enter a workforce that had a social contract with business because of WWII veterans. But young enough to get only the tail end of that. Consequently, he had the idea that you found one employer and that employer would take care of you for life. But coming in to that at the end he obviously did not experience it - although he passed that idea along to me. As a Gen-Xer, I've never found this to be true and for some stupid reason (what my dad taught me) it surprises me each and every time.

My parents were taught, 'children are to be seen but never heard.'. That was a a law in our house. You only spoke at the table when you were asked a question. If you had an opinion, my parents would give it you. We were expected to obey, not object and to be model citizens. Rudeness was not tolerated. Politeness was virtue. My dad was always pro-military and the US could never do any wrong.

Considering things since 1980 (when I was old enough to actually start paying attention), I question that last part.

Some of these things I've passed on to my own kids, but most of them not.

However, one thing, and it's a big thing to me that I got from my Silent Generation parents is loyalty and work ethic. My loyalty is not given blindly (and that is the Gen-Xer in me) but if you have earned it then you will find my loyalty to be strong. And when I work, I work. An employer is paying me for work to be done. I have to answer to that employer if the work is NOT done. So get it done.

The Silent Generation went about their lives without attracting attention to themselves. They just got things done and didn't complain and didn't expect accolades or recognition for it. They just did it.

Just a few examples…

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You made me look up:

…was not familiar with that term…always thought “greatest” generation preceded BBs. 🤔
Yes, it characterizes my parents fairly well.

My maternal grandfather got out of WWII early because my maternal grandmother (who worked in a bomb factory) died. He was the sole caretaker for my mother so he was discharged. She later ended up living with my great, great aunt and uncle (my grandparents aunt and uncle) because my grandfather spent all his pay on beer and failed to pay the rent. That ended in eviction, which is how my mother ended up there.

I mention this because that had an effect on my mom. Being of the same generation she adopted many of the characteristics of my father. Traditionalism, not taking risk, getting things done. Silent Generation qualities. But with a six year difference she can remember Letterman sweaters, Chuck Berry on the lunchroom speakers and soda fountains.

My dad, was the youngest of six so he missed the Great Depression. But when my older aunts and uncles were alive they would tell me about the experience as young children.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'll use my father as the better example since he was born in 1936 and there is a six year difference between him and my mom.

My dad's life was tempered by a stint in the Korean War with the USMC, which he left shortly before America started sending troops (advisors) to Vietnam.

My dad was an age sufficient to still enter a workforce that had a social contract with business because of WWII veterans. But young enough to get only the tail end of that. Consequently, he had the idea that you found one employer and that employer would take care of you for life. But coming in to that at the end he obviously did not experience it - although he passed that idea along to me. As a Gen-Xer, I've never found this to be true and for some stupid reason (what my dad taught me) it surprises me each and every time.

My parents were taught, 'children are to be seen but never heard.'. That was a a law in our house. You only spoke at the table when you were asked a question. If you had an opinion, my parents would give it you. We were expected to obey, not object and to be model citizens. Rudeness was not tolerated. Politeness was virtue. My dad was always pro-military and the US could never do any wrong.

Considering things since 1980, I question that last part.

However, one thing, and it's a big thing to me that I got from my Silent Generation parents is loyalty and work ethic. My loyalty is not given blindly (and that is the Gen-Xer in me) but if you have earned it then you will find my loyalty to be strong. And when I work, I work. An employer is paying me for work to be done. I have to answer to that employer if the work is NOT done. So get it done.

The Silent Generation went about their lives without attracting attention to themselves. They just got things done and didn't complain and didn't expect accolades or recognition for it. They just did it.

Just a few examples…
I’m with you on the work ethic. I wish some of my younger colleagues had that. With about 1-2 exceptions all the hard workers at our place are 50 plus.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Considering things since 1980, I question that last part.

Just a few examples…
My parents, Silent Generation. What I remember from my childhood (50s-60s) was that the Father was the lord of the House, but I don’t remember this in my family as much as I remember it in movies (such as Life With Father), that as a child, all adults were to be respected, and that religious boundaries were not to be crossed.

I do remember my Father raised as a prodestant, Presbyterian, making a comment to me to the effect that marrying a Catholic, which I did, was like having a death in the family. I will say that in my Father’s old age (95) he has become a liberal about his politics. :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My parents, Silent Generation. What I remember from my childhood (50s-60s) was that the Father was the lord of the House, but I don’t remember this in my family as much as I remember it in movies (such as Life With Father), that as a child, all adults were to be respected, and that religious boundaries were not to be crossed.

I do remember my Father raised as a prodestant, Presbyterian, making a comment to me to the effect that marrying a Catholic, which I did, was like having a death in the family. I will say that in my Father’s old age (95) he has become a liberal about his politics.
My cousin, who was raised Catholic, married a Lutheran. In order for this to happen (for a Catholic priest to marry them), his wife had to renounce her Lutheran attachments and join the Catholic faith. She mentioned this to me once and the pain in her voice was unmistakable.

But my cousin was the child of my dad's older sister. So, those Silent Generation values…

And yeah, pretty much everything you mention.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My cousin, who was raised Catholic, married a Lutheran. In order for this to happen (for a Catholic priest to marry them), his wife had to renounce her Lutheran attachments and join the Catholic faith. She mentioned this to me once and the pain in her voice was unmistakable.

But my cousin was the child of my dad's older sister. So, those Silent Generation values…

And yeah, pretty much everything you mention.
We did not get married in the Catholic Church, problem solved…there was actually a chuch on the base where I was stationed, I think it was non-demominational Protestant. They weren’t that picky. :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I’m with you on the work ethic. I wish some of my younger colleagues had that. With about 1-2 exceptions all the hard workers at our place are 50 plus.
This is a particular trait I was taught. My dad was many things, many of which I cursed him for being, but when he worked, he worked. At least the part of him I saw at home did, because I never got to really see how he worked at work. That's all I can base this on.

In my youthful employment though I was a layabout. That had a particular cost, some of which other people ended up paying that caused me to re-evaluate things. Ultimately, I adopted the Silent Generation work ethic. It's kept food on the table over the years.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
We did not get married in the Catholic Church, problem solved…there was actually a chuch on the base where I was stationed, I think it was non-demominational Protestant. :)
My wife is what you call 'culturally Catholic' because she's Mexican-American (born in Los Angeles). Both of us are Christians, and were married in a Presbyterian church (which we did not attend). We are not Presbyterian. ;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
This is a particular trait I was taught. My dad was many things, many of which I cursed him for being, but when he worked, he worked. At least the part of him I saw at home did, because I never got to really see how he worked at work. That's all I can base this on.

In my youthful employment though I was a layabout. That had a particular cost, some of which other people ended up paying that caused me to re-evaluate things. Ultimately, I adopted the Silent Generation work ethic. It's kept food on the table over the years.
My Dad and Mum both worked full time and worked hard. I have always been the same. Started working at 15 full time. But even before that I had paper rounds and a car washing business. Always looking to make a few quid here and there.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My Dad and Mum both worked full time and worked hard. I have always been the same. Started working at 15 full time. But even before that I had paper rounds and a car washing business. Always looking to make a few quid here and there.
Yeah, this is where my Gen-Xer self comes in, LOL. :D

You (an employer) will get work out of me - on the clock, during my regular scheduled hours or via OT if necessary. But my time is my time and you (an employer) don't get me then.

Now if I'm in the type of job where irregular hours are a thing or being on call, then okay sure. That's what we (the employer and I) have agreed to. But I've only had one job like that and it was my first job in high school when I was first learning how working for pay actually works.

I'm not averse to picking up a few extra dollars on the side though, as long as it's not interfering (much) in my time.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yeah, this is where my Gen-Xer self comes in, LOL. :D

You (an employer) will get work out of me - on the clock, during my regular scheduled hours or via OT if necessary. But my time is my time and you (an employer) don't get me then.

Now if I'm in the type of job where irregular hours are a thing or being on call, then okay sure. That's what we (the employer and I) have agreed to. But I've only had one job like that and it was my first job in high school when I was first learning how working for pay actually works.

I'm not averse to picking up a few extra dollars on the side though, as long as it's not interfering (much) in my time.
I work 8-4:30 Monday to Friday. But it’s quite common for me to work in the evening as well. 8pm until bed. I do that at least three nights a week. Often more.
But I am one of the bosses so I see it as part of the role. But if I’m honest it’s just who I am. I’m not going to change that now.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I work 8-4:30 Monday to Friday. But it’s quite common for me to work in the evening as well. 8pm until bed. I do that at least three nights a week. Often more.
But I am one of the bosses so I see it as part of the role. But if I’m honest it’s just who I am. I’m not going to change that now.
Yeah, if that was my role (a boss) that'd be part of the expectation. Which, as raised by a Silent Generation ethos, I would follow through on.

But many of my employers have over the years discovered that my time is my time. I had a Boomer employer that once expected me to come in on the weekend for a particular project, but then realized that this Gen-Xer would say no. I was simply an employee at the time, long before he 'promoted' me to 'manager' so he couldn't really argue.

In this current job I am in, and being 53 now, I value my own time even more. I was hired to do graphic design and that's what I stick to. All my previous jobs had me wearing different hats (IT, computer support, problem solver, etc) for the same pay so while I have a lot of work experience in various other things I'm sticking to what I was hired to do this time around. My stress levels have reduced because of that.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My wife is what you call 'culturally Catholic' because she's Mexican-American (born in Los Angeles). Both of us are Christians, and were married in a Presbyterian church (which we did not attend). We are not Presbyterian. ;)
Neither are we. My wife’s father was Hispanic, technically Spanish and American Indian, Catholic, in Texas he was referred to a Mexican although his family has been here (Texas) longer than any Texan. Her mother is of Irish Descent (Boston). She was raised fairly strict Catholic, but shook it off as an adult. ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah, if that was my role (a boss) that'd be part of the expectation. Which, as raised by a Silent Generation ethos, I would follow through on.

But many of my employers have over the years discovered that my time is my time. I had a Boomer employer that once expected me to come in on the weekend for a particular project, but then realized that this Gen-Xer would say no. I was simply an employee at the time, long before he 'promoted' me to 'manager' so he couldn't really argue.

In this current job I am in, and being 53 now, I value my own time even more. I was hired to do graphic design and that's what I stick to. All my previous jobs had me wearing different hats (IT, computer support, problem solver, etc) for the same pay so while I have a lot of work experience in various other things I'm sticking to what I was hired to do this time around. My stress levels have reduced because of that.
I started as an Architect major in college, always intrigued by created spaces. After a year, I realized this would not work for me as I was headed to the military to become a pilot (college scholarship) , so I switched to Commercial Art major, but never worked as a Commercial Artist, a very competitive field. I’ve always been attracted to this endeavor, have been messing with Unreal Engine for a couple of years, but have not gotten anywhere significant with it. 😐

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I started as an Architect major in college, always intrigued by created spaces. After a year, I realized this would not work for me as I was headed to the military to become a pilot (college scholarship) , so I switched to Commercial Art major, but never worked as a Commercial Artist, a very competitive field. I’ve always been attracted to this endeavor, have been messing with Unreal Engine for a couple of years, but have not gotten anywhere significant with it. 😐
When I got out of high school in 1989, college was expected of me. I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do though and it wasn't until 1993 that I settled on something - graphic design.

Up until then I was pretty much a bum, living at home while working a part-time job. It allowed me to sporadically pursue graphic design until I finally got a degree and a certificate by 1999 and actually quit my part-time job and got into my field.

For me though, I ended up in newspapers, designing ads. And that's where I stayed until 2018, working for small papers that published weekly. My previous job was a 14.5 year stint where I ended up being manager of a one person department (me). Yay me. :D

Now I'm designing golf scorecards and yardage books. This was particularly a godsend during Covid because golf could easily be socially-distanced and the golf industry itself has LOTS of money. It meant that I stayed employed, even if there was a layoff of a few months.

I managed to turn work from home into a permanent thing and all the way around it's been good for me.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
When I got out of high school in 1989, college was expected of me. I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do though and it wasn't until 1993 that I settled on something - graphic design.
You remind me of my dad in a lot of ways... well probably because you guys are around the same age. He had no idea what he wanted to do in college—although both his parents were professors. He started in electrical engineering before doing a complete 180 and studying language and history.

He did have a few advantages though: his uncle was the president of the small liberal arts college he went to, both his parents were professors, and his older sister was at the same college. So he had a bit of an "in," and he's said that it did help him. He only worked during the summer I think.

My mom was VERY different (but also very similar). She attended a large public university, which she has said was extremely challenging for her, but it was her only option (I guess we're similar, because there's no way I could survive at a public university...). But she also didn't really know what she wanted to do. She ended up going into education, taught for several years, before going into counseling.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You remind me of my dad in a lot of ways... well probably because you guys are around the same age. He had no idea what he wanted to do in college—although both his parents were professors. He started in electrical engineering before doing a complete 180 and studying language and history.

He did have a few advantages though: his uncle was the president of the small liberal arts college he went to, both his parents were professors, and his older sister was at the same college. So he had a bit of an "in," and he's said that it did help him. He only worked during the summer I think.

My mom was VERY different (but also very similar). She attended a large public university, which she has said was extremely challenging for her, but it was her only option (I guess we're similar, because there's no way I could survive at a public university...). But she also didn't really know what she wanted to do. She ended up going into education, taught for several years, before going into counseling.
By 1993 I'm 22 and still living at home. I started at a community college just to get basic credits, thinking I'd find a major and switch to a four year college at some point. Never found a major. I switched community colleges and tried my hand at pursuing a pilot's license. Then I decided that while I liked planes and such I didn't actually like flying them so that was a bust.

Then I found a tech school that offered graphic design. This seemed to combine two of the things I liked, computers and art. However, I came in during a transition period when graphic design was switching from mechanical pasteup to computer aided design. So, I ended up getting both parts. I'm no good at pasteup although I've had to use some of those skills a few times. But knowing the programs for the computer part is what kept me employed.

Graphic design is not anything I am absolutely head over heels for. But I like it well enough and enjoy it well enough ('cause COMPUTERS! and SOFTWARE!) that as an occupation I'm good.

My son started college three years ago with the intent to become some sort of computer engineer. Designing software and computers and such I guess. But at some point he hit a wall and it wasn't fun or anything he decided he had an interest in. I told him that I had always 'seen' him as being in IT because he was good with making computers work and fixing them and so on. So he switched his major and it's been a lot easier for him since.

Most people just end up doing something they either develop a skill for or fall in to. Most of us do not end up in jobs we love - despite what they tell you "Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life." Most of us hate our jobs. Well, I wasn't into doing a job I hate and I couldn't find a job I loved. So I went with a job that I was comfortable with.

And that's what I told my son. Find something that at the end of your life you will not look back at with regret. Wasting all your working years on a job you hated. At the very least make it something that you could tolerate.

I still haven't found what I love, but I love graphic design enough that at the end of my life I will be okay with saying "That's what I did."

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I’ve done many things over the years. Generally I like a job where I have multiple things to do. Working in smaller companies gives me that challenge.
I’ve been with my current employer 16 years nearly.
But as I never went to university or college, my choices have been limited when it comes to changing roles. At least if I want to keep my current salary and benefits!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.