Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
On my one year anniversary with an iPhone 12 mini and it's been great.

Battery isn't as bad as many make it out to be. I usually have 30-40% left at the end of the day. Granted I'm not a heavy user which is partly why I can use a small sized phone with smaller battery.

Battery health is at 97%.

Are there are times when I wish the display was bigger? Yes. But that's only when I'm using for media consumption which is not very often.

Given there's no iPhone 14 mini, I'm not sure anything announced month will be of interest to me.

Curious how other 12 mini owners are feeling. Some probably have had theirs for 2 years now. Are you upgrading or keeping your mini?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I used mine from Dec ‘20 to April ‘22 before downgrading to a new SE’16. I still have my 12 Mini and plan on going back to it in mid-October this year. I found the battery to be poor compared to other iPhones including the SE. I was charging it once per day and still got it down to a battery health of 84% in a mere 1.5 years. I overcame the issue by using a MagSafe battery pack which gave me 2x battery charge.

The phone itself is perfect otherwise. Great screen, good speakers, decent size and a very capable machine all round.

I mainly use my phones as computing devices. Lots of web-browsing, video streaming on apps such as Netflix, YouTube & Disney+, Podcasts, music, Skype & FaceTime along with IM with WhatsApp. I also use my GPS map a lot and Apple Wallet as I no longer carry around bank cards. Smart phones are essentially computers so I use them as such which is why I tend to go through at least a full charge each day.

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas
I used mine from Dec ‘20 to April ‘22 before downgrading to a new SE’16. I still have my 12 Mini and plan on going back to it in mid-October this year. I found the battery to be poor compared to other iPhones including the SE. I was charging it once per day and still got it down to a battery health of 84% in a mere 1.5 years. I overcame the issue by using a MagSafe battery pack which gave me 2x battery charge.

The phone itself is perfect otherwise. Great screen, good speakers, decent size and a very capable machine all round.
Loved my 12 mini aside from the battery. Had it a year before swapping it for the 13 mini for a better battery. I miss the smaller camera lenses compared to the 13 mini.

I believe my 12 mini battery went down to 91% capacity within a year using a 12w charger.

Reactions: snipr125

doodads

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
East BF, TN
I had a 12 mini and traded it in at AT&T for a 13 mini. I had my 12 mini for about a year, and the battery was at 82%. My battery would last about half a day at the most.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
My release day 12 mini has probably been the best iPhone I have had, just been a joy to use. It’s down to 88% battery capacity now though, so have to charge each day where as before would last me a solid 36 hours in between charge. I have been eyeing up 13 mini‘s for the last couple of months especially in midnight, but will wait until next month when the 14’s are released then get one on discount hopefully.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
all signs point to 5w chargers being the best for phone batteries, so it could be.
Which signs? I've only used the 20W Apple charger (wired, not MagSafe) for almost two years (often twice a day since I'm a heavy user). And after almost 2 years now my battery health is at 90%, which I think is an acceptable decrease, especially considering my use case. IMO using a 5W charger these days of fast charging is pointless self-torture, unless you only charge during the night...

Bash310

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
I had my 12 Mini since release date. I love the size but the battery life is not good, I have to plug in at least once a day sometimes but the good thing is that it charges back up really quickly. I use a 5W charger every night and the battery health is at 98%. I would love a thicker iPhone Pro mini.

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas
Which signs? I've only used the 20W Apple charger (wired, not MagSafe) for almost two years (often twice a day since I'm a heavy user). And after almost 2 years now my battery health is at 90%, which I think is an acceptable decrease, especially considering my use case. IMO using a 5W charger these days of fast charging is pointless self-torture, unless you only charge during the night...
I should clarify, by "signs" I meant anecdotes from this forum lol. Apologies for that. It seems like all the pristine 100% battery capacity obsessives all talk about using a smaller watt charger. There are obviously many other factors that contribute to battery health. I use a 12W charger myself and my battery capacity is at 89% after 11 months.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Have been using a 12 mini as my main phone since Dec 2020 and it has been great. The battery is at 84% by now, so it might need some micro top-ups throughout the day, otherwise a great compact iPhone! If a 5.7” SE does come in spring 2023, I might get that, but for now it is still going strong. :)

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
Happy to read about OP and others’ good experiences w/ this phone. My sister has one and I suspect I‘d like it a bit more than my current SE 2020. … Seems like battery on both is not great. Fortunately I‘m not a heavy user. But I noticed lately how streaming radio on Safari takes a large chunk of battery quite rapidly. Hoping my SE lasts another 1-2 years but seems likely I’ll replace it with whatever Mini model # is available next.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I should clarify, by "signs" I meant anecdotes from this forum lol. Apologies for that. It seems like all the pristine 100% battery capacity obsessives all talk about using a smaller watt charger. There are obviously many other factors that contribute to battery health. I use a 12W charger myself and my battery capacity is at 89% after 11 months.
Hehe, yeah I get it. Personally I think it has more to do with not draining the battery completely (preferably don’t go below 20%) and not letting it charge all the way to 100%… At least that’s when I’ve noticed the battery health going down, but then again, that’s just another anecdote 🙂 As always, YMMV. Also, I try to avoid letting my phone run hot…

Reactions: JDnLex and mikext

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
I think mine is at 88%, got it since release date (heavy user) and I stopped micromanaging device batteries... lol I don't have the time and energy for that.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
For those of us who love the Mini form factor, or smaller phones in general, check out this review of the Asus Zenphone 9, incredible phone and is what a potential iPhone Mini Pro phone would be like.

Its got a 120 Mhz screen with 4300 Mh battery, and a very innovative multi use power button. Love the design of it also, very iPhone Mini like with its flat edges.

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas
I think mine is at 88%, got it since release date (heavy user) and I stopped micromanaging device batteries... lol I don't have the time and energy for that.
amen to this lol. I have Apple Care too, so if the battery is ever a problem it can be easily swapped out for a nominal amount.

Reactions: compwiz1202

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
For those of us who love the Mini form factor, or smaller phones in general, check out this review of the Asus Zenphone 9, incredible phone and is what a potential iPhone Mini Pro phone would be like.

Its got a 120 Mhz screen with 4300 Mh battery, and a very innovative multi use power button. Love the design of it also, very iPhone Mini like with its flat edges.
I saw that review too, and that phone looks really great. I was so disappointed to find out that “compact” meant the same size as the regular iPhone 13, if this website is to be believed. 😩

Reactions: Barbareren

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
All of you talking about getting a new phone because of low battery health, I just wanted to throw it out there that I think it’s only $69 for a battery replacement by Apple. That’s the non-Apple Care price too. Not bad.

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
All of you talking about getting a new phone because of low battery health, I just wanted to throw it out there that I think it’s only $69 for a battery replacement by Apple. That’s the non-Apple Care price too. Not bad.

Strange chosen number by Apple... 69 ;)

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I saw that review too, and that phone looks really great. I was so disappointed to find out that “compact” meant the same size as the regular iPhone 13, if this website is to be believed. 😩

The Zenphone 9 is probably more closer in size to the iphone X as it has a 5.9" screen, but Asus do market it as being a one handed device. I also didn't realise it has the Snapdragon 8 PLUS Gen 1 CPU, so full fat performance.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
The Zenphone 9 is probably more closer in size to the iphone X as it has a 5.9" screen, but Asus do market it as being a one handed device. I also didn't realise it has the Snapdragon 8 PLUS Gen 1 CPU, so full fat performance.
I’ll tell you, the iPhone X was the perfect size in the sense of, if you’re gonna have a “big” phone, that’s the biggest you can go and still use it one handed. It was brilliant in that regard.

Why Apple went and made it a smidge bigger starting with the 12 (?) is beyond me. It’s just barely too large to use one handed.

Having said all that, the mini is where it’s at amirite. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.