Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Which signs? I've only used the 20W Apple charger (wired, not MagSafe) for almost two years (often twice a day since I'm a heavy user). And after almost 2 years now my battery health is at 90%, which I think is an acceptable decrease, especially considering my use case. IMO using a 5W charger these days of fast charging is pointless self-torture, unless you only charge during the night...
Looks like not all 12 Mini batteries are equal then. Like I said, I used mine charging it once per day mostly on a 5w Apple charger overnight and, perhaps once per week, on MagSafe, and I am sitting at 84%. When I used my 8 I was using the charging pad a lot more often and I didnā€™t reach 84% battery life until 2.5 years in. The 12ā€™s batteries are very poor compared to the usual standard. I wonder if Appleā€™s battery replacements are of better quality as I am looking at replacing mine later this year.

Reactions: Barbareren

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
All of you talking about getting a new phone because of low battery health, I just wanted to throw it out there that I think itā€™s only $69 for a battery replacement by Apple. Thatā€™s the non-Apple Care price too. Not bad.

The only downside is phones with a battery change never have the same waterproofing...and depending on the technicians skill, sometimes no waterproofing at all...which you don't find out about until it is too late.

Seen a whole lot of phones die in the rain after a battery change.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
The only downside is phones with a battery change never have the same waterproofing...and depending on the technicians skill, sometimes no waterproofing at all...which you don't find out about until it is too late.

Seen a whole lot of phones die in the rain after a battery change.
Iā€™d imagine that if you got it done by Apple, theyā€™d replace that little gasket, no?

Have you seen phones lose waterproofing after having it done at the Apple store?

Dhonk

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2015
still hanging in there. I like it's size so much, but I've wondered if I should be considering snatching up a 13 mini. I just don't know if I'd like the 6.1" phone. I hated how heavy the iPhone X was, and love the size/weight of the mini.

Funny Apple Man

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2022
Hamburger Land
still hanging in there. I like it's size so much, but I've wondered if I should be considering snatching up a 13 mini. I just don't know if I'd like the 6.1" phone. I hated how heavy the iPhone X was, and love the size/weight of the mini.
The iPhone X screen is 5.8" so you will be going to for the larger 6.1" screen if you're not getting the mini. The current regular 13 also weighs the same as the iPhone X at 174 g.

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
The 12 mini is still working as needed for me. I won't be upgrading to anything that is physically larger when it reaches its end-of-life.

I use the phone mainly for checking messages when not at home, but I also often don't take it with me. The only times I definitely take it is when I am running or cycling out of town, in case I need help. This, however, is limited by cellular coverage. In the end, the phone is perhaps the least essential piece of tech I have, so it needs to be as small as possible. The mini works in that sense.

scheinderrob

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2021
I had a 12 mini and traded it in at AT&T for a 13 mini. I had my 12 mini for about a year, and the battery was at 82%. My battery would last about half a day at the most.

how much better is the battery on the 13? im at 89% and debating a new battery or phone.

smorgas

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2021
The mini is the reason I upgraded. Had the SE for 3 months and when I saw the announce, it was no brainer. I don't use my phone a lot so when its closed to dead, I know I was bored that day. Battery is at 85% after using 5w charger exclusively. I was dead set on a 14 this year but probably gonna wait for next time. I'm ready for a pro max I think.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
12 mini since January 2021. Planning a substitution with AC+ before expiring (in Italy for 12 series was only available 2 years program). Daily use during working day with 2 hours of Car Play, battery life 84%.

Have to decide if I want to pick a 13 mini (red product) and sell 12 mini or not.

Reactions: mikext

Funny Apple Man

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2022
Hamburger Land
12 mini since January 2021. Planning a substitution with AC+ before expiring (in Italy for 12 series was only available 2 years program). Daily use during working day with 2 hours of Car Play, battery life 84%.

Have to decide if I want to pick a 13 mini (red product) and sell 12 mini or not.
I say wait for the 14 to come out because that's when all of the previous gen iPhones (including the 13 mini) get a price drop.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
I say wait for the 14 to come out because that's when all of the previous gen iPhones (including the 13 mini) get a price drop.

My original plan was to keep it for 3-4-5 years (first 256gb model in my life). Apple plan rumors about discounting of mini models may change my mind, if confirmed. As you say, I will wait 14 series and see :)

Reactions: Funny Apple Man

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Bouight it back in Dec 2020, battery is at 89%. Really love the phone, the only thing missing is third lens for better nighttime shots, but other than that its great. Will def buy 13 mini once the 14 comes out.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
2 years in January 2023, battery health 84% with a significant drop in daily battery life. Thinking about replace it with AC+, thinking about upgrading it (size and weight are pros, sometimes I want better battery, larger screen and better cameras).

Bento.Box

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2022
Battery is now at 84%, it's almost 2 years old.

I usually charge it with my ipad charger at home or with the usb connection in the car.

I tried wireless charging in the beginning, but it get's really warm and will overheat under load (e.g. when Hotspot is on).

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Bought my 12 Mini back from my FIL. Forgot how much I loved this iPhone from my 14 Pro. Iā€™ve been using it pretty extensively the last few days on iOS 16.2 RC (no cellular, Wi-Fi only), battery at 86%. Seems pretty smooth still, I havenā€™t dealt with any overheating, battery life is better than I remember it being. And I have three days left to add extended AppleCare+ for $7.99/month.

I want to switch back to it full time, but I also like my 14 Pro. I prefer the simpler features, weight and size of the 12 mini. At the same time, Iā€™m starting to use the iPhone camera more with the 14 Pro, not to mention the nicer screen.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
My wife has had a 12 Mini since launch (roughly 2 years and 2 months). I checked her battery health a couple of months ago, and I remember it being at approx 77%.

My 13 Mini, which I had since launch (15 months) has a battery health of 91%. I use a 5W charger, and tend to charge sporadically from above 20%, and usually not above 80% since I charge so sporadically. I usually donā€™t charge overnight.

IMO, the iPhone 13 Mini is a fantastic phone, and nobody should bother with the regular 13 or 14 models. The font and display size difference between a Mini and a 6.1ā€ screen is very small, even if your vision isnā€™t great.

If you want a 6.1ā€ model anyway, get the 14 Pro. The regular 14 may as well not exist. But again, the 6.1ā€ display doesnā€™t show text or anything else much larger than a Mini. If you genuinely want something bigger and better, buy a 14 Plus or Pro Max. I just switched to a 14 Pro Max because my eyes are getting worse, and there is genuine benefit for those with worsening eyesight!!!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.