Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

High Desert

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2015
Powell Butte, Or.
I had the 12 Mini for 2 years, and really liked the size and performance and able to stick in a shirt pocket. It performed flawlessly. But, as I aged, eyes not as good as they were and small format got harder to see, and keypad use led to many typing errors. Then, got a promo from Verizon for $800 trade in for new phone, and went to the 14+. My only squawk about the 12 Mini is on me, and my aging eyes.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I had the 12 Mini for 2 years, and really liked the size and performance and able to stick in a shirt pocket. It performed flawlessly. But, as I aged, eyes not as good as they were and small format got harder to see, and keypad use led to many typing errors. Then, got a promo from Verizon for $800 trade in for new phone, and went to the 14+. My only squawk about the 12 Mini is on me, and my aging eyes.

There are others with different eyesight levels/acuity that still use a 12/13 mini ... zoom and font size can be adjusted in settings. Many wouldn't just get a much larger screen for their computer due to their eyesight. whatever suits you best.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
There are others with different eyesight levels/acuity that still use a 12/13 mini ... zoom and font size can be adjusted in settings. Many wouldn't just get a much larger screen for their computer due to their eyesight. whatever suits you best.
I used it as a reason to upgrade to a larger phone (battery and camera were the other reasons), though I probably could have still lived with the 12 mini just fine, and still kind of regret upgrading. Once you adjust the font size to be larger, there’s just a lot less room for other things on the screen. Or if you’re watching video or looking at photos on it, it just means a lot more squinting. I personally only really used my mini for texting, emails and Redditing, the iPad was for everything else.

My dad who has much worse eyesight than I do, has his font size as large as it can go and still happily uses his 12 mini just fine.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
After April 2023, I’ve had the 12 Mini for 30 months (AT&T trade-in credits). My battery capacity is at 86%. The battery life in general is pretty lousy, but seeing as Apple has not released another updated small iPhone (besides 13 Mini), I dunno what I’ll upgrade to next.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
My Dec 2020 is still going strong with 83% (Apple reading) or 89% (Coconut reading) of its original battery capacity remaining. 👍 I have used iPhone 11 in the past and it is just too big & heavy for my needs. Planning to upgrade to 13 mini just before they get discontinued, so I can have another 3 years of a compact light iPhone. By then hopefully Apple can still surprise us with another iPhone with a screen smaller than 6.1”. For me, anything at around 5.7”-5.8” would be ideal, as it would allow for a much better battery life in a smaller body. Think iPhone 11 Pro body, its battery life was awesome.

Reactions: snipr125

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
My 24 month old 12 Mini is at 88% battery capacity. Extremely happy with the phone. I would normally start looking at a new one about a year from now, but not optimistic about Apple offering anything about the same size. Perhaps a battery replacement instead sometime in 2024?

Reactions: mikext

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Love mine. Will likely snag a 13 mini later this year before they are phased out. Should be good until Apple announces its Folding iPhone…heh heh
I’m waiting for them to come to the US refurbished store, then I’ll have to decide what I want to do with my 14 Pro.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
My release day 12 Mini is still going strong. My battery health is at 95%. It’s been a great little phone.

Reactions: xxFoxtail

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I had a 12 mini for a month up until 2 weeks ago after a 13 max, size and weight are great, I use reading glasses and didn't have any problem with screen size.
Only sold it as a bargain 14 pro new came my way for $900AUD off retail, couldn't pass that up so sold the 12 mini for $300 profit so the 14 pro was even more of a bargain.
Just did a week holiday with the 14 pro, the mini battery wouldn't have been good with all the use and got some great photos. Normal home/office use the battery was fine for my uses, missed the pro camera and extra lenses though.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Mine's still going great, although I did have a warranty repair (just prior to its one year anniversary) to fix a cellular antenna issue. My max battery capacity is down to 89%, but as long as I can get through the day on a charge I'm okay with it. Still love the form factor - I'll make a decision about how to replace it once it dies, but until then I have no intention of giving it up. 🥰

Reactions: Ladybug

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
After April 2023, I’ve had the 12 Mini for 30 months (AT&T trade-in credits). My battery capacity is at 86%. The battery life in general is pretty lousy, but seeing as Apple has not released another updated small iPhone (besides 13 Mini), I dunno what I’ll upgrade to next.
iPhone 12 mini to 13 mini is very noticeable

platinumaqua

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2021
Bought in September 2021 and still going strong. I replaced the battery back in February before the price hike and the Apple Store genius chipped the inside frame during the replacement

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
My Mom had a 12 Mini

Upgraded her to a iPhone 14 for free via carrier deal. Much better battery life (especially in standby since she doesnt use her phone much) and the bigger screen is a plus especially for her eyes. She always used every phone with two hands so she got used to the bigger size quickly

bigfatipod

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
Bought in September 2021 and still going strong. I replaced the battery back in February before the price hike and the Apple Store genius chipped the inside frame during the replacement
Do you happen to know what your battery health was at before the replacement? And, was there a noticeable improvement in speed with the new battery?
Debating if I should have my 11 pro battery replaced (wish I did it before the price hike…)

platinumaqua

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2021
Do you happen to know what your battery health was at before the replacement? And, was there a noticeable improvement in speed with the new battery?
Debating if I should have my 11 pro battery replaced (wish I did it before the price hike…)
It was at 88% so it wasn’t throttled, so no change with the speed

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Bought mine in November 2021, battery health is at 84% - I'm a REALLY heavy user though, espescially in the first 6 months or so after I bought it with up to 12+ hours of screentime a day (injury, surgery and recovery). Battery life is pretty much the only thing I can knock it for anyway, it's great otherwise. I do wish it were juuuust a bit smaller. But considering most phones these days are what I would consider phablets, I'll take what I can get.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
2 years in January 2023, battery health 84% with a significant drop in daily battery life. Thinking about replace it with AC+, thinking about upgrading it (size and weight are pros, sometimes I want better battery, larger screen and better cameras).

In the end, upgraded to a 14 Pro Max and passed my 12 mini to my wife.

Reactions: xxFoxtail

ABHB

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2021
The Beach
I got my 12 mini at launch and just this week upgraded to a 14. I initially loved the small form factor but the size was getting a bit restrictive with some apps. Also, my battery was at 80% and I was considering going to Apple for a swap. With the T-Mobile upgrade deal, it’s not costing me too much more than a new battery and I think the 14 is a nice size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.