Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Londoner1982

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
Can you confirm what the video recording is like? I have the P20 pro and the video in 4k is crap as its got no stabilisation.

Also can you use the optical zoom in video? You can't with the P20 pro.

Thanks.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I just hope that with 4200/5000 batteries, Huawei won't use aggressive memory management again, like they did with last Mate generation. That's the sole reason I sold that otherwise excellent device.

Looking forward to reviews, but already know I'm gonna skip the Pro just because of 'edge' screen. I have Note 9, and that is my (by far!) biggest complain about the device. It's like touch bar on MBP, cool to see, but totally gimmicky and useless, and takes away a lot of basic functionality.

So it's either the regular 20, or X version. But I have to test them out in person for at least a day, afraid of aggressive memory management. But all things considering, this is by FAR the best device announced in 2018. iPhone Xs and Xs Max look like a joke compared to these babies, and Google Pixel 3 (XL) isn't even a joke, it's just a sad little dude who sits alone, and no one wants to play with him :p

Reactions: jamezr

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Looks like a great device. As said by folks on all about android, it looks like the note and iPhone X had a child.

Wished I trusted that brand more, looks like a great device!

Reactions: Tsepz

boomer11

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
I just hope that with 4200/5000 batteries, Huawei won't use aggressive memory management again, like they did with last Mate generation. That's the sole reason I sold that otherwise excellent device.

Looking forward to reviews, but already know I'm gonna skip the Pro just because of 'edge' screen. I have Note 9, and that is my (by far!) biggest complain about the device. It's like touch bar on MBP, cool to see, but totally gimmicky and useless, and takes away a lot of basic functionality.

So it's either the regular 20, or X version. But I have to test them out in person for at least a day, afraid of aggressive memory management. But all things considering, this is by FAR the best device announced in 2018. iPhone Xs and Xs Max look like a joke compared to these babies, and Google Pixel 3 (XL) isn't even a joke, it's just a sad little dude who sits alone, and no one wants to play with him :p

what is aggressive memory management? i want this phone but i am hesitant of the software. especially since the note's software has been so great

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
what is aggressive memory management? i want this phone but i am hesitant of the software. especially since the note's software has been so great

Huawei software is great, and this is coming from someone who likes pure android.

Aggressive memory management is when device closes your apps in background. You get better battery life, but app has to reload once you open it again.

Samsung was famous for doing stuff like that, but even they stopped with S9. I hope Huawei stops as well, since they have large batteries, there isn't much need to do that.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

I have both a Note8 and Mate 20 Pro, and can tell you the curve of the display is different. The Mate 20 Pro is more of a gradual slope rather than steap edges, it feels more like a pebble. The display is not truly curved a la Samsung.

You really do have to try it out.

When I get home tonight I will take pics of it next to my Note8.

For now, here are some with it with a colleague's S8
73270d0ad633f66dba903cef8f664396.jpg
9222bde9377302853fcd97ff5282e384.jpg
57acb16d8a6fe3ca4701b50f7dae4814.jpg

Reactions: c0ppo and 5105973

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Huawei software is great, and this is coming from someone who likes pure android.

Aggressive memory management is when device closes your apps in background. You get better battery life, but app has to reload once you open it again.

Samsung was famous for doing stuff like that, but even they stopped with S9. I hope Huawei stops as well, since they have large batteries, there isn't much need to do that.
I'd say Samsung Aggressive Memory stopped with the Note8, that 6GB RAM did wonders.

So far I am happy with the Mate 20 Pro, it's keeping my apps in Memory but I will test its aggression properly this weekend with some games and social apps.

Reactions: c0ppo and 5105973

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I have both a Note8 and Mate 20 Pro, and can tell you the curve of the display is different. The Mate 20 Pro is more of a gradual slope rather than steap edges, it feels more like a pebble. The display is not truly curved a la Samsung.

You really do have to try it out.

When I get home tonight I will take pics of it next to my Note8.

For now, here are some with it with a colleague's S8
73270d0ad633f66dba903cef8f664396.jpg
9222bde9377302853fcd97ff5282e384.jpg
57acb16d8a6fe3ca4701b50f7dae4814.jpg
I believe Samsung has curve with purpose, such as edge panel.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The Mate 20 X is the most interesting of the three with 7.2" 1080p OLED, 5000mAh battery and game controller accessory. Not a fan of notches but at least it's smaller so less distracting. Only question is value when the Nintendo Switch is ~$300.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
The Mate 20 X is the most interesting of the three with 7.2" 1080p OLED, 5000mAh battery and game controller accessory. Not a fan of notches but at least it's smaller so less distracting. Only question is value when the Nintendo Switch is ~$300.
Indeed. My assumption is that you would rather buy the Mate 20 X, over buying a Switch and Phone. However, how much better is the Switch at gaming versus the Mate20X?

Hopefully someone on YouTube will do that comparison, I think it would be an interesting one. :)

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Something that I am loving is that Huawei kept the Infrared IR Blaster in this device, making it even more of a Swiss Army Knife of a device.

And I discovered something cool about the IR Blaster, if the P20 Pro and Mate 10 Pro have this PLEASE correct me
With the Mate 20 Pro keeping the IR Blaster feature I am able to setup our lounges electronics to be controlled by it. BUT the cool part is when the phone Remote Control does not have the correct control built in to it.

The Mate 20 Pro will in this case will ask you to take the Remote of that electronic e.g. TV, Home Theater etc.. Point it to the Mate's IR Blaster the IR Blaster than receives the Signal and you can save that Signal and BOOM it supports your TV, Home Theater system etc...
9c8ae4529c031a8abfa5cb8aa7f19f64.jpg

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
Cool tech? Yes. Useful feature on a smartphone? No. What other devices are you carrying have wireless charging capabilities AND you’d prefer to have a charge over your smartphone?
Something that I am loving is that Huawei kept the Infrared IR Blaster in this device, making it even more of a Swiss Army Knife of a device.

And I discovered something cool about the IR Blaster, if the P20 Pro and Mate 10 Pro have this PLEASE correct me
With the Mate 20 Pro keeping the IR Blaster feature I am able to setup our lounges electronics to be controlled by it. BUT the cool part is when the phone Remote Control does not have the correct control built in to it.

The Mate 20 Pro will in this case will ask you to take the Remote of that electronic e.g. TV, Home Theater etc.. Point it to the Mate's IR Blaster the IR Blaster than receives the Signal and you can save that Signal and BOOM it supports your TV, Home Theater system etc...

I use the IR blaster on P20 Pro with an app that models the Sky HD remote. See image.
I also have general app to control volume, power etc on LG TV.

Screenshot_20181017-234253.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My husband hasn’t used the IR blaster yet on the P20 Pro. He says he’s just never thought about it. I am going to bug him! :D

This Mate 20 Pro has a lot going for it so far. Thanks for the first hand reporting!

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Just watched mkbhd video on new Mate phones. I'm gonna stop watching his videos, that guy has probably best editing on youtube, but he's becomed completely biased. IMHO of course.

Reactions: AfridiGerrard786

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Just watched mkbhd video on new Mate phones. I'm gonna stop watching his videos, that guy has probably best editing on youtube, but he's becomed completely biased. IMHO of course.
I kinda see that in him lately too....little by little by little he shows a clear preference in his videos.
I used to watch him knowing it was just straight and unbiased nothing but the facts stuff. But not so much anymore....

Reactions: c0ppo

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
It was around same time last year when Huawei held an event to unveil mate 10 pro in NYC, it would be with ATT and Tmobile carriers in US, expectation was high.
And this phone mate 20 has the right to 'one step ahead' of competitors. Because of its in house developed processor, Uncle Sam is highly alert of its spying potential. No matter how great your product is it is kept out of America, so does the reviewer has negative point about it. Reviewer like mkbhd has to make a living in US, he mentioned about next mate generation will be better, basically not much good words about the device.
Hopefully this month end when OP6T comes out, he has something better to say. If he does not no big deal.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
I really like this phone but now that my employer is paying for my line on Verizon looks like I am SOL. Too bad.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

I kinda see that in him lately too....little by little by little he shows a clear preference in his videos.
I used to watch him knowing it was just straight and unbiased nothing but the facts stuff. But not so much anymore....

What online reviewer doesn’t have bias? All of the biggest tech YouTubers have some bias, some quite a lot more than others. MKBHD has been pretty upfront for a long time first, for his preference for Android, and second, for stock or unskined versions of it. He also doesn’t love notches and the omission of headphone jacks. But at the same time he’ll offer praise where deserved.

IMO, MKBHD is probably more diplomatic in his reviews vs. just about any other mainstream reviewer that I’ve watched.

I’m curious, who do you guys watch that you find less biased? Genuine question as I’d love to check them out.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
What online reviewer doesn’t have bias? All of the biggest tech YouTubers have some bias, some quite a lot more than others. MKBHD has been pretty upfront for a long time first, for his preference for Android, and second, for stock or unskined versions of it. He also doesn’t love notches and the omission of headphone jacks. But at the same time he’ll offer praise where deserved.

IMO, MKBHD is probably more diplomatic in his reviews vs. just about any other mainstream reviewer that I’ve watched.

I’m curious, who do you guys watch that you find less biased? Genuine question as I’d love to check them out.
I am 50/50 with MKBHD.

Someone I really enjoy these days is Mr Mobile, he hits the spot - I think for me it's due to the fact that I have watched him for many years across the channels he has worked on, his reviews are short, to the point, yet still detailed. He also seems to have a more well rounded understanding of where the mobile industry was pre-iPhone, where it was shortly after that and what it is now - basically his knowledge stretchs further than most reviewers. Erica Griffin, Flossy Carter and also enjoy the Android Authority and Android Central reviewers to.

I still do wish Noah Kravitz and Aaron Baker from Phonedog would comeback, they did the best reviews.

Reactions: AfridiGerrard786

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

I like Flossy.....he is biased but he is pretty upfront about what he likes and very fair to what he doesn't like.
MBKHD used to be unbiased in his reviews. But now that he has gotten so big and has more of a following he states more of his personal likes than being neutral. That is my personal opinion from watching for a few years.

I also like to watch a lot of reviewers to get a good rounded experience. Different styles and people are fun to watch.
Mr mobile
Pocket Now (Jaime Rivera)
The Verge (Dieter Bohn)
Android Central
Erica Griffin
Joshua Vergara
Unbox Therapy
GSM Arena

JerryRigEverything is always fun too :)

Who do you watch tbayrgs?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
What online reviewer doesn’t have bias? All of the biggest tech YouTubers have some bias, some quite a lot more than others.

Everyone has bias. I'm not disputing that. Person who claims that doesn't have a bias is either a robot, or a liar.

I really can't agree with that. MKBHD holds some criticizm on google, samsung and especially apple. Why? My guess is because those are the companies with biggest fanbase, so indeed, you are right, he is really diplomatic. Only problem is he will criticise others for things that he won't even mention about apple/samsung/google.

Look at his iPX review. He said that he wished that with Face ID apple kept FP sensor as well. I remember that one, because that was my wish as well. And here comes Mate 20 Pro, has Face ID equivalent, and has a in screen FP sensor as well! What does MKBHD say about that? 'They should concentrate on one thing, and not just push out more stuff on the phone to see if it sticks'. (something along those lines, not a direct quote).

Well, when samsung has a bunch of options, he calls it features. But when Huawei has bunch of options, and this one is really cool and useful, he says 'throwing it out there to see if it sticks'?

According to some other reviews, Mate 20 Pro has the best wi-fi and best reception signal so far. And the best and most accurate GPS. Did he even mention that? Or are those also those options Huawei keeps throwing around just to see if it sticks?

I find MKBHD to be really friendly looking and sounding. Best editing out of all of youtube reviewers out there. By far. Great voice as well, and excellent personality. But I do find him to be really biased in the last 1-2 years. Or even better, to be diplomatic as you said it. Apple/Samsung/Google are his favourites, along with OnePlus (mine favourite as well!), and he doesn't want to do anything that could make those 3 giants angry. He wants to visit their conferences, interview CEOs, etc. That's all great, but he is loosing his integrity by pushing it too far.

Lisa - great reviews
Linus - mostly PC hardware, but his rare phone reviews are really fun, honest and great. This guy is a complete opposite to MKBHD, he will honestly say that he has a problem with Apple/Samsung/Google/ANYONE! And he will do it in a funny and interesting way
iPhonedo - this guy is Apple fanboy, but he has also a lot of critic for Apple. And always spot on. But that's not what makes him great. He does mostly reviews of stuff I have ZERO interest in, but I watch his every video. Songs, jokes and best personality out there by far. Really funny guy, great videos. Check them out, I watch him mostly for jokes and fun. But that's what life is all about :)
zollotech - mostly apple stuff, and an apple fanboy. But by far best videos and most funny out there.
detroitborg - mostly apple fanboy and apple stuff, but his reviews are spot on.
Mr.Mobile - great and unbiased reviews.

I mean, just take 2mins of your time, and imagine you wake up in the morning after sleeping for just 4 hours, and you have a lot of stuff on your plate. You make yourself breakfast, coffee and juice. Turn on your MBP and this pops up in your youtube feed:

Well, that happened to me. And that guy made my morning from miserable to great. I love that dude :D
[doublepost=1539903615][/doublepost]I'm sorry, but had to put this in here as well:

MUST WATCH! :D

Reactions: tbayrgs and jamezr

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
I like Flossy.....he is biased but he is pretty upfront about what he likes and very fair to what he doesn't like.
MBKHD used to be unbiased in his reviews. But now that he has gotten so big and has more of a following he states more of his personal likes than being neutral. That is my personal opinion from watching for a few years.

I also like to watch a lot of reviewers to get a good rounded experience. Different styles and people are fun to watch.
Mr mobile
Pocket Now (Jaime Rivera)
The Verge (Dieter Bohn)
Android Central
Erica Griffin
Joshua Vergara
Unbox Therapy
GSM Arena

JerryRigEverything is always fun too :)

Who do you watch tbayrgs?

Yep pretty much the same, I forgot to mention Jaime, he is absolutely brilliant, also another guy from the pre-iPhone era.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Mate 20 Pro vs. P20 Pro Speed Test, one thing the reviewer notes here that I keep forgetting to note with mine is that we are running Prerelease FW, but the phone runs so well that one forgets that this is not the final FW

Anyway the Mate 20 Pro does pretty well here especially in Multitasking - Google could take some tips!

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.