Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtenuta

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011
Mine is insane . So impressed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190225_163829_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpg
    Screenshot_20190225_163829_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 395

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
Manually upgraded from FW 9.0.0.187 to FW 9.0.0.206 on my Mate 20 Pro yesterday using a tool written by a guy from XDA-developers combined with a patched HiSuite and modified host file.
Google Pay is not working with FW206 as it's not certified yet but in my country it doesn't matter since Google Pay is not available.
Google's February Security Patch 2019 is included in this build.

Reactions: radus and Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Manually upgraded from FW 9.0.0.187 to FW 9.0.0.206 on my Mate 20 Pro yesterday using a tool written by a guy from XDA-developers combined with a patched HiSuite and modified host file.
Google Pay is not working with FW206 as it's not certified yet but in my country it doesn't matter since Google Pay is not available.
Google's February Security Patch 2019 is included in this build.
Good to know the Feb Security patch is out then :)

I have to say I have been impressed with the updates from Huawei, a big improvement from when I had the Mate 10 Pro that sat on 1 Security patch for 3 months.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Just picked this up from the Galaxy S10+ GSMArena review, seems the Mate 20 Pro continues to be the Battery King
The Mate 20 Pro also seems to be stronger in Image quality with its rear camera.

Take the Huawei Mate 20 Pro, for example. Like the S10+, it too comes with a triple camera and its tele has even more reach than the one on the Galaxy, plus its ultra wide angle cam has autofocus, which the S10+'s doesn't. On the flipside, the Mate takes dismal selfies, while we're really loving the ones out of the Galaxy. The S10+ packs a more powerful chip (the Exynos version, at least), while the Mate's battery lasts longer, plus it charges faster.
https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s10_plus-review-1901.php

Could not beat the Mate 20 Pro and P20 Pro at DxOMark
391de6c7d5070bd2fe466d17e94a9db5.jpg

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Back camera is equal but front camera s10 thrash the mate 20
It's absolutely fantastic. Seems I can happily skip the S10 and wait for the Mate 30 Pro and Note10 at this point.

I was hoping the battery life of the S10+ would at least beat what I have been spoilt with on the Mate 20, but apparently not. Ah well.

Also it seems the S10+ wide angle doesn't have Auto Focus while the Mate 20 Pro's Ultra Wide Angle does, and the zooming is still incredibly limited to 2x on the S10+ vs. the 3x Optical and 5x Hybrid the Huawei's are capable of.

Looks like it's up to the P30 Pro to take photography to the next level now.

Huawei really becoming the Android OEM to beat it seems.

Last edited:
Reactions: ramram55

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
As the P30 Pro launch edges closer, I have to say I am excited about where Huawei will take things from the already brilliant Mate 20 Pro, this device has really blown me away.

I have been Primarily a Samsung user for a long time with an Apple device as secondary, even when I had the Mate 10 Pro, I still ran back to my Note8, because I felt that overall the Note8 was better.

However, when I got the Mate 20 Pro I was shocked at how far Huawei had jumped ahead:

- Thr 40W Supercharging, I cannot stress enough how spoiling this feature is, it makes anything less feel like it's 10 years old , I cannot believe how slow most devices are now, and it has completely changed my charging habits, instead of Plugging in and going to bed, I simply plug in in the Morning, shower and by the time I am getting ready for work the phone is at 100%, in actual fact, by the time I get out the shower it's already hovering at around 80% charge from 10%.

- 4200mAh LiPo battery, along with the Super fast charging, the phone carries a ludicrously large battery for its size, and the thing lasts LOOONG. I tend to punish my phones, but the Mate 20 Pro takes thr cake for the most valiant battery I have ever seen, it reminds me a lot of the Apple iPad 4 battery life, which in itself was insane. Can honestly say this thing is a road warrior. Often times even with my Samsungs I would put the Screen brightness at around 40-50%, however with the Mate 20 Pro I get even better battery life when using the phone at 70% brightness.

- Camera, extremely diverse, from 3x Optical Zoom, 5x Hybrid Zoom, Super Wide and Super Macro Mode, this camera just feels so frigging complete , there's always a variety of ways to capture a scene and sometimes I find myself going through a lot of these various features and taking a ouc in each way to see what I like most..

-UI, it's not the prettiest, I use the stock launcher but I change Icon themes, but the best part is the UI staying stupid fast and smooth many months later, it just goes on like it is brand new, no lag, no drama.

Overall I find this phone to just be super dependable, and a part of me gets apprehensive about leaving it for the next big thing, as I keep thinking that it won't be as good as this, yet it will probably be better. But once you find what seems to be near perfect, you get scared about leaving to the next thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: noobinator

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Have to say I still thoroughly enjoy using this beast, and looking at how much the price has dropped relative to the features it has vs. 2019 Flagships, it's an absolute steal, I guess it technically is a 2019 Flagship as it matches all of the current crop of Androids.

I really wish the P30 Pro came with the Mate 20 Pro's WQHD+ display, looking at this display is such a pleasure especially in apps like Instagram, WhatsApp (texture of the text) and YouTube.

Reactions: radus

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Hopefully this means us P30 users will get Q super early to still
[Update: It’s back] Huawei Mate 20 Pro removed from Google’s Android Q Beta page
Update 5/30: As silently as it was removed, the Huawei Mate 20 Pro has just re-appeared on Google’s Android Q Beta page. The device just came back just this morning in the same spot it was before the removal. Presumably, this has to do with the 90-day general license Huawei was granted to continue working on its existing products. This is probably a good sign that not only is work continuing on the beta, but that current Huawei devices might be updated.
https://9to5google.com/2019/05/30/huawei-mate-20-pro-android-q-removal/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.