Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I got notch shamed today lol

I was at a playgroup with my kids and one of the other parents asked me if the notch on my Xs max bothered me. He then went on to show me how he can hide the notch on his mate 20 pro.

Shaming aside it’s a beautiful looking phone. He showed me the wide angle lens and some of the shots he’d taken with it. The camera looks impressive.

The in screen FPS looks quite fast too.

Still at bit miffed about how expensive the iPhone XS Max is even though I knew that going in.

I’m paying £75 a month and I get 100GB of data. At the time 100GB was on offer and it was only another £2 to double your data from 50 GB.

This man is paying £35 for the mate 20 pro and he has 15 GB a month.

Leaving the Apple ecosystem aside the mate 20 is a better phone than the Xs max, with better features.
[doublepost=1549989581][/doublepost]
I think the reverse wireless charging would be useful for charging something like a smart watch or wireless earbuds.
LOL!

Glad you got to see it in proper action. It's an incredibly versatile device, particularly the camera, I am always amazed at the varying ways I can capture a scene, as no matter what you do it looks great be it Normal, Wide, Super Wide, 3x Optically Zoomed in or 5x Hybrid Zoomed in, it blows my mind.

Did he tell you about the ridiculously good Battery Life and stupidly Fast Charging?

This phone makes you realize just how far Smartphones have come and makes me excited about where we could be in just 2-3years if Huawei, OPPO and Xiaomi keep pushing as hard as they are.

As you also you eluded to it also made you realise how you have overpaid for thr iPhone, and it's the same feeling I had about how I overpaid on my Samsung Galaxy Note8 and how I nearly overpaid on a Galaxy Note9.

The Mate 20 Pro has made me realise just how complacent Samsung has become, and how Apple has always been.

At least with Apple you have the ecosystem as a major factor that can sway you and is understandable, however Samsung don't have that sort of power at all, and looking at the rumoured S10+ specs that seem final, I am afraid Samsung may continue to fall while Huawei, Xiaomi and OPPO power ahead with better tech, bigger batteries that charger faster and more features.

phoneme

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
i can honestly the mate 20pro has been the best phone i ever had to date. zero regrets

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
I got notch shamed today lol

I was at a playgroup with my kids and one of the other parents asked me if the notch on my Xs max bothered me. He then went on to show me how he can hide the notch on his mate 20 pro.

I think we need more notch shaming :)

Come to think of it, boring grid of icons shaming as well :)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think we need more notch shaming :)

Come to think of it, boring grid of icons shaming as well :)
Well they guy had a boring grid of icons on his phone too but obviously he could be doing a lot better. The option is there.
[doublepost=1549999757][/doublepost]
LOL!

Glad you got to see it in proper action. It's an incredibly versatile device, particularly the camera, I am always amazed at the varying ways I can capture a scene, as no matter what you do it looks great be it Normal, Wide, Super Wide, 3x Optically Zoomed in or 5x Hybrid Zoomed in, it blows my mind.

Did he tell you about the ridiculously good Battery Life and stupidly Fast Charging?

This phone makes you realize just how far Smartphones have come and makes me excited about where we could be in just 2-3years if Huawei, OPPO and Xiaomi keep pushing as hard as they are.

As you also you eluded to it also made you realise how you have overpaid for thr iPhone, and it's the same feeling I had about how I overpaid on my Samsung Galaxy Note8 and how I nearly overpaid on a Galaxy Note9.

The Mate 20 Pro has made me realise just how complacent Samsung has become, and how Apple has always been.

At least with Apple you have the ecosystem as a major factor that can sway you and is understandable, however Samsung don't have that sort of power at all, and looking at the rumoured S10+ specs that seem final, I am afraid Samsung may continue to fall while Huawei, Xiaomi and OPPO power ahead with better tech, bigger batteries that charger faster and more features.
He did mention about the battery life being good.

It does make you stop and think why am I paying so much when there are phones out there that can do a lot more for less.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Been using my Mate 20 Pro with its Display brightness set at 70%, yet still get over 7.5hours SOT with a full day (24hours) off charge, although I plug in before I hit 10%, so the phone can go longer but I just don't need it to.

I am absolutely loving how I can just abuse this beast without having to care too much about plugging in. This has made me a tad reckless as I now kuust leave anything to run in the back including Location Apps like Waze.
629e16e53a7baf96d4be6d9d5870508c.jpg
9dd5edcedae14c1110283367879832cf.jpg
45833f27053fb8b63536d5093d737173.jpg

Reactions: balaplus and jamezr

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
J.Wiliams has done a good job at showcasing how much better Huawei's Desktop solution is vs. Samsung DeX:
Go to 6:09 if you want to get to it straight away
Does the mate 20 pro desktop solution require your TV/monitor to be WiFi capable?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yes,requires Miracast protocol, if you want to do it wirelessly, otherwise you can use the cable which is something that was possible with the Mate 10 Pro to.
https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/faq/have-you-tried-the-new-desktop-mode/
Oh so the mate 20 pro can only be done wirelessly then?

I don’t think my TV supports Miracast. So the Dex option is the only one that would work.

However watching a video if the Mate 10 pro showed that huwawei were ahead of Samsung in terms of functionality from 2017. In 2017 their solution only required a usb c to HDMI cable and you could use the phone as a touch pad and continue to use the phone whilst it was connected. These are features that Samsung introduced with the note 9 last year.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Oh so the mate 20 pro can only be done wirelessly then?

I don’t think my TV supports Miracast. So the Dex option is the only one that would work.

However watching a video if the Mate 10 pro showed that huwawei were ahead of Samsung in terms of functionality from 2017. In 2017 their solution only required a usb c to HDMI cable and you could use the phone as a touch pad and continue to use the phone whilst it was connected. These are features that Samsung introduced with the note 9 last year.
The Mate 20 Pro does both Cable and Wireless (Miracast) Desktop UI.

Yep, Huawei were ahead of Samsung. It's very interesting how this has gone under the radar, LOL!

I believe Samsung DeX has more developer support though, but I do see that Huawei Desktop UI seems to be growing in this regard, even Microsoft have optimized their Office apps for it.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I didn't even know about Dex until a month ago. Samsung does a bad job of advertising unique features.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I didn't even know about Dex until a month ago. Samsung does a bad job of advertising unique features.
Ha I’ve been a bit obsessed with Dex from the start. I got the Dex dock as a pre order gift with my note 8. I still use it with my husband’s note 8. I think it’s such an underrated feature.

Reactions: Tsepz and 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Ha I’ve been a bit obsessed with Dex from the start. I got the Dex dock as a pre order gift with my note 8. I still use it with my husband’s note 8. I think it’s such an underrated feature.
Speaking of underrated features, earlier I remembered you can control the intensity of the LED flash in flashlight mode. I'm not even sure you can find that slider setting in the settings of the phone.

I'll probably check out Dex once I get my S10. The ability to use certain apps with it is killer.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Speaking of underrated features, earlier I remembered you can control the intensity of the LED flash in flashlight mode. I'm not even sure you can find that slider setting in the settings of the phone.

I'll probably check out Dex once I get my S10. The ability to use certain apps with it is killer.
Can you do that on the S9 plus?

I can’t remember as I’ve not had the phone for a while now. I can do it on my Xs max (changing the flash intensity).

Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Can you do that on the S9 plus?

I can’t remember as I’ve not had the phone for a while now. I can do it on my Xs max (changing the flash intensity).
Should be the same. I just checked. It might be different depending on the Android version and or Samsung Experience version. So it'll either show the intensity slider when you active it in full pulldown or partial pulldown, or you have to tap on the word "flashlight" instead of the flashlight icon. Text and icon taps behave different on everything else. Though I usually long tap instead since it's easier albeit slower.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Yep, I also got DeX as a pre-order gift with my Note8, that's why when I saw the Huawei cable back then I was shocked at how much more convenient it was but it had less apps than DeX.

mtenuta

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011
Hey guys just jumped ship from IPhone Xmas. So far loving this beast. Any suggestions on setting changes I should do on my new device ?

Thank you

Reactions: Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Hey guys just jumped ship from IPhone Xmas. So far loving this beast. Any suggestions on setting changes I should do on my new device ?

Thank you
Welcome glad you are enjoying the beast!

First thing I would suggest is:

Going to Settings - Display - Screen Resolution - turn off Smart Resolution and set the Display to WQHD+ to thoroughly enjoy it.

2. Go to Settings - Battery - Darken Interface Colors, what this does is it makes the UI black which helps save battery life even further.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
I sure hope the Mate X gives a battery life that is at least on par with the Mate 20 Pro, if not even better

This thing just keeps going take note that my screen brightness is at 70% and in WQHD+ Resolution all the time.
ebbf3f408e53f9fdb5f48906a3d4a8ec.jpg
d49f3f3e19d429e404a3faaab31c4cdd.jpg
dba9f8656af1d263c4108417d508cc33.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.