Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I think for Verizon (not sure about Sprint) their 4G network is GSM so it will work on their network but maybe not get the same data speeds as it would on a GSM only network like AT&T or TMO
This will be good to know, I may be traveling up to the USA for holiday early in 2019, and will probably come up with either my current Mate 20 Pro or a P30 Pro.

Reactions: jamezr

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
If you have not worked it out by now, I am battery life obsessed.

Having owned mostly Samsung Androids, I was usually quite happy with their battery life but always felt like we could get more out of them, they could give good SOT but I would never really get more than a full day out of them.

With the Huawei Mate 10 Pro I could not believe how Huawei managed to get a phone to squeeze out so much battery life, granted it had a huge 4000mAh battery, but it's battery life felt almost endless, I simply couldn't bring the phone down in a day and would often charge the following afternoon.

The Mate 20 Pro has brought me back to that habit to, I simply cannot kill this thing in a day, I can hammer away on Instagram, WhatsApp, use Waze, watch a whole lot of YouTube, do some emails, endlessly browse Twitter and Facebook, take some pictures and videos, hand full of phone calls, browse the web etc... Throughout the day all while leaving features like High Accuracy GPS On, AOD On, and still get home and find the phone still at 65%, I then proceed to hammer away at it at night until bedtime, go to bed with it at around 45%, wake up, and realise I still have enough battery to do all that again for part of the day, and then I plug it in that late morning or early afternoon.

I plug in, at around 10% usually but yesterday I get getting sidetracked so delayed it a bit, and plugged in at around 8%. The next thing that gets me is that within 1hour of plugging in I am back at 100% battery

This is sooooooooo good it should be illegal I just cannot get over how far ahead these Chinese OEMs have gone ahead the likes of Samsung and Apple in this area, it's shocking considering their resources and I am glad more YouTube reviewers have been doing the Battery Life and Charging tests to showcase this.

I am blown away by this device, and I am starting to doubt that I will ever go back to Samsung at this point.
5c44da8e60bd5d53d443a1dada1c70ba.jpg
926a1170b6dd53f5309fd1bf697e0668.jpg
d420ac08b5d72e6d836838bc8bff6b7a.jpg
I've just picked up this phone and like you and amazed by the battery!

I'm finding the gestures a little inconsistent though, how do you find them?

Reactions: Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
I've just picked up this phone and like you and amazed by the battery!

I'm finding the gestures a little inconsistent though, how do you find them?
Yes, absolutely agreed, the gestures do tend to a bit inconsistent, they take some getting used to but even then you can tell they need more polishing overall, particularly the "Back" gesture, especially if you are already in app that has its own gestures.

This is the part where Android in general needs more unification, as Gestures in general are not optimal.

With that said I still use the Gesture system navigation as I love how much screen real estate it frees up.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
It’s going back. The battery just isn’t enough for me to keep it.

There are a few niggles but the number one thing is the inability to use Nova launcher without it making the gestures buggy. When you swipe up to go home it briefly opens the multi tasking before going home. It’s super annoying.

The stock launcher is too limited for my liking.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013

There are a few niggles but the number one thing is the inability to use Nova launcher without it making the gestures buggy. When you swipe up to go home it briefly opens the multi tasking before going home. It’s super annoying.

That's unfortunate, all the best with the next phone!

Reactions: 5105973 and MarkX

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

When I had my P20, I didn't get along with the stock launcher either but I downloaded the Pixel launcher APK and it was fantastic.
Ran like a Pixel!

Huawei does need to redesign EMUI from the ground up as that's the last piece of the puzzle for them to crack, IMO.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
When I had my P20, I didn't get along with the stock launcher either but I downloaded the Pixel launcher APK and it was fantastic.
Ran like a Pixel!

Huawei does need to redesign EMUI from the ground up as that's the last piece of the puzzle for them to crack, IMO.

The stock launcher does indeed need work, however it doesn’t bother me as I use Nova, it was the fact that it made the new gestures to be buggy.

Android is all about customisation but I get the feeling Huawei want you to use their stuff. You can’t even use certain widgets on a Huawei device (when using a 3rd party launcher) without it causing issues.

Reactions: Aneres11

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
oneplus phone battery life would be close to second.
Wouldn't be surprised, these Chinese OEMs have Battery Life on lock it seems, they are doing what we have been BEGGING other OEMs to do for years which is to give us huge batteries and power efficiency.

I took my Mate 20 Pro off charge at 8am this morning, it's now 22:45, I still have 40% battery meaning I will only charge tomorrow probably around lunch time, this is despite using the phone to play music via BT in my Car (to and from work), using Waze in traffic, WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, running 2 mail accounts (personal and Exchange), having the Display at 60% Brightness, using the camera a few times and making a few calls around 15mins each, popping into Reddit app, using Tapatalk etc...

It's pure madness how much I can do in a single charge with this phone :)

And then the best part is that I plug it in for about 1hour and BOOM the huge 4200mAh battery is back at 100% in less time than phones with sub 3000mAh batteries.

Reactions: 5105973

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Yes, they want to keep consumers happy, imagine in some parts of the world, electricity is lacking, once you charge it better be fast and last longer. You do not need wireless charging which is slow and make consumers pay for extra gadget. That charging is strong point, I believe Oneplus will adopt this year charging would be at warp speed, using 30 watt power and charge phone 20 mins to 6%. It is a beauty. Too bad in a country know as America, Huawei is treated as number 1 enemy. Not only network suspicious of spying, even a phone is considered as such, what a country.

phoneme

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
i have to say the mate 20 pro is by far and away the best phone i have ever used. sure you can argue that it is not the best for you. but there is no denying that is has the best battery life of any phone out today, no phone even comes close to the mate 20 pro's battery life or charging speed

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
i have to say the mate 20 pro is by far and away the best phone i have ever used. sure you can argue that it is not the best for you. but there is no denying that is has the best battery life of any phone out today, no phone even comes close to the mate 20 pro's battery life or charging speed

Caveat: By putting almost all apps to "no background processing" by default. Most Chinese phones do that.

Better battery life is due to compromise being made. So, if you are ok with restricted multi tasking (aka iPhone) :)

Reactions: co.ag.2005

phoneme

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
Caveat: By putting almost all apps to "no background processing" by default. Most Chinese phones do that.

Better battery life is due to compromise being made. So, if you are ok with restricted multi tasking (aka iPhone) :)
but your forgetting that with the mate 20 pro you can slelect which you don't want to ever be put to sleep with the iphone you have no choice. it's tims way or the hwy.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013

Hold up, “No Background Processing”? That is simply untrue, they do tend to be strict on Background processing but they don’t turn it off.

On my Mate 20 Pro I turned all that Automatic App Launch stuff off to allow me to run as many apps as I could on my Note8 and I still get phenomenal Battery Life. Multitasking is no problem here. :)

This is Android after all, whatever an OEM imposes we can get around. One of my favorite features though that Huawei built in is Performance Mode, as that pretty much takes off all restrictions on Performance,it’s more like a Gaming Mode, but I sometimes use it throughout the day, despite this the phone can still do well over 8hours SOT with 1.5-2days off charge.

Last edited:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
I've now developed a bad habit of leaving the house without fully charging the Mate 20 Pro, I just take it off charge wherever it is when I need to go, be it at 70% or 95%, still get a day comfortably.

One thing I hope Huawei does with the Notch Mate 30 Pro is to move to the Teardrop drop notch and figure out where to put the Facial Recognition stuff, lol. I envy people with the Mate 20 X and Standard Mate 20 for their puny notches, however I still want to retain the Facial Recognition tech as it's been brilliant.

I know I sound like I want to have my cake and eat it, but if they can fit a huge 4200mAh battery in this compact body and give me more battery life than I'll ever need 2days, they can meet my demand for a Teardrop notch with Facial Recognition hardware.

Xico

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2019
Grabbed this phone +/- 1 month ago, coming from an iPhone 8 Plus (always used iPhones), and I can tell you this is MY phone now!! Love it!! Even with the green screen problem, contacted Huawei and they will send a new phone over UPS, very good support. Fully featured, I haven't even tried the super charger (always use wireless charging. Battery is massive, performance if great (I don't play many games), and camera... best of the best!!

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Grabbed this phone +/- 1 month ago, coming from an iPhone 8 Plus (always used iPhones), and I can tell you this is MY phone now!! Love it!! Even with the green screen problem, contacted Huawei and they will send a new phone over UPS, very good support. Fully featured, I haven't even tried the super charger (always use wireless charging. Battery is massive, performance if great (I don't play many games), and camera... best of the best!!

Hope you get your replacement ASAP. I have a BOE panel on mine so no green screen issue.

You really only need the Supercharging in desperate situations it charges the phone so quickly that most times it will feel like mere minutes. I simply cannot get over the insane battery life and supercharging, I wish Samsung had implemented this at least on the Note8.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I got notch shamed today lol

I was at a playgroup with my kids and one of the other parents asked me if the notch on my Xs max bothered me. He then went on to show me how he can hide the notch on his mate 20 pro.

Shaming aside it’s a beautiful looking phone. He showed me the wide angle lens and some of the shots he’d taken with it. The camera looks impressive.

The in screen FPS looks quite fast too.

Still at bit miffed about how expensive the iPhone XS Max is even though I knew that going in.

I’m paying £75 a month and I get 100GB of data. At the time 100GB was on offer and it was only another £2 to double your data from 50 GB.

This man is paying £35 for the mate 20 pro and he has 15 GB a month.

Leaving the Apple ecosystem aside the mate 20 is a better phone than the Xs max, with better features.
[doublepost=1549989581][/doublepost]
Hope you get your replacement ASAP. I have a BOE panel on mine so no green screen issue.

You really only need the Supercharging in desperate situations it charges the phone so quickly that most times it will feel like mere minutes. I simply cannot get over the insane battery life and supercharging, I wish Samsung had implemented this at least on the Note8.
I think the reverse wireless charging would be useful for charging something like a smart watch or wireless earbuds.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr and Tsepz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.