Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Yes, 108 is BETA (pre-release firmware).
German article: https://www.huaweiblog.de/software/...vorserien-firmware-verkauft-update-gestartet/

All European Dual Sim M20pro seem to have 108.
[doublepost=1540899714][/doublepost]No turbo mode.
No 3D scan.
Disturbed crackling sound in videos
No video cinema effects or any video filters
Faceunlock works with my buddy's face and others faces
Camera quality...
[doublepost=1540899792][/doublepost]Just got 122 :D! Dual Sim 122-rollout launched.
I just forced the update and I am now receiving 126
7b3ed84e3b9fad94963e430283d362b7.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Another Battery Test thus time the Mate 20 Pro even outlasts the timer phone :
OnePlus 6T vs. iPhone XR vs. iPhone X S Max vs. Mate 20 Pro vs. Galaxy Note9:
Wow I have an Xr and don’t see my battery performance bad like that compared to my other phones past and present in real use. But I do know if you set an LCD display too bright it drains annoyingly fast.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Wow I have an Xr and don’t see my battery performance bad like that compared to my other phones past and present in real use. But I do know if you set an LCD display too bright it drains annoyingly fast.
Yep, LCDs get to a point where they are simply too inefficient.

I use my Mate 20 Pro at around 50-60% Brightness majority of the time, heck the other day I sat at our useless tax management office for about 5-6hours, used the phone on Auto Brightness and that sat at around 80-95% brightness most of the time and I still left that office with about 65% battery.

AMOLED has come so far and become super efficient

Reactions: 5105973

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
This phone has a glue gate/display controller issue and people are complaining of green and yellow blotches and spots on the corners and sides of the display. LG is rumored to have made some of the displays SMH.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
This phone has a glue gate/display controller issue and people are complaining of green and yellow blotches and spots on the corners and sides of the display. LG is rumored to have made some of the displays SMH.

Looks terrible.
Apparently they are deleting posts in China, like the issue doesnt exist.

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
A question for Mate 20 owners.

Does the Mate 20 Private Space same as the Secure Folder in Galaxy?
I want to know whether apps installed inside the Mate 20 Private Space can run concurrently with other apps in the phone? i.e you get notification for those apps even if you are not in Private Space?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Looks terrible.
Apparently they are deleting posts in China, like the issue doesnt exist.

Isn't that from damage like line across MKBHD's Pixel 3 that was found to be caused by him dropping it getting out of the car?

DqSDEMwX0AAyiu-.jpg

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Last edited:
Reactions: mi7chy

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Cool feature I just discovered in EMUI, in the Accessibility Settings there is an option to turn off all UI effects, what this ultimately does is it sets the Animation stuff to Off without having able Developer Options.

The Mate 20 Pro is already a fast device, but it becomes a bullet when you turn off this setting, and then I have also set the device to Performance Mode, so it is absolutely blasting through anything I do on it, it is absolutely ridiculous

My Note8 and the iPhone X feel super slow next to this thing now
8ed24df0247ad683e57caf8036931d27.jpg

Reactions: kazmac and 5105973

Schmidt84

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
I really fancy this device. Anyone who have gone from an iphone xs to mate 20 pro who can tell how the experience is? How is the size and how fluid is the OS?

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
I really fancy this device. Anyone who have gone from an iphone xs to mate 20 pro who can tell how the experience is? How is the size and how fluid is the OS?
I went from an XS Max to the M20pro.
Had the LG-OLED-display exchanged today due to "displaygate" or "greenscreengate" or whatever its called ;).
There were, respectively are some faulty LG-OLED-displays circulating. LG and BOE (chinese OLED display company) are the 2 OLED-suppliers for the M20Pro.
BOE-OLEDs seem to be ok.
Otherwise the camera with its 16/28/80mm optical lenses is great, whereas the post processing is not always consistent compared to the iphone xs which produces less dropouts than the M20pro.
Workaround: shoot in PRO-mode.

Otherwise no issues.
Excellent battery (XS Max was great too).
No obvious bugs in android 9 firmware build...122 patch 2.
Have been busy lately "syncing" Google Play Music with Apple Music as my Apple Music "1 year 99€"-subscription will end by November 27th.
128Gb internal storage + 128GB Huawei Nano SD card in use.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973 and Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Also absolutely enjoying my Mate 20 Pro, the Battery Life is rock solid, I am even using the phone in Performance Mode, I figure I may as well get the full Kirin980 experience seeing as it can still last over a day with heavy usage in this mode.

The Camera is excellent, the hardware is great quality (mine has a BOE display ), the UI is fast but I believe it does require some refinement, but it's a great setup in many little ways from EMUI8.

I just love how Huawei some how blended the Galaxy S9+, P20 Pro and iPhone X S Max in to one device here and then threw in more features like the IR Blaster, Reverse Charging, 40W Supercharging (LUDICROUSLY fast charging on this beast), Super Wide Camera along with Super Macro Mode support and all the AI hardware and software, it is brilliant. This device just feels like a Media power house.

Reactions: 5105973 and Klyster

Schmidt84

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
I heard the vibrator is pretty bad, and the finger print sensor has many fail readings. Anyone who can confirm this?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
I heard the vibrator is pretty bad, and the finger print sensor has many fail readings. Anyone who can confirm this?
Vibration has been pretty good on mine.

The Fingerprint Reader can be finicky, especially if you have not thoroughly set it up for your fingers. It requires you to put your full thumb on it on not just the side etc...

In any way the Facial Unlock usually unlocks the device before you even reach for the FPS.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Vibration has been pretty good on mine.

The Fingerprint Reader can be finicky, especially if you have not thoroughly set it up for your fingers. It requires you to put your full thumb on it on not just the side etc...

In any way the Facial Unlock usually unlocks the device before you even reach for the FPS.

I just hope Samsung keeps the fps at the back in addition to in screen one. It is just faster and easier at the back.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
I just hope Samsung keeps the fps at the back in addition to in screen one. It is just faster and easier at the back.
Going between my Note8 or a Note9 and my Mate 20 Pro, I am finding the one on Mate 20 Pro faster and easier to use, however comparing this FPS to the FPS on the Mate 10 Pro, I'd prefer the one of the back of Mate 10 Pro as that was just ludicrously fast to unlock.

I doubt Samsuwould do dual FPS, it just doesn't make sense, IMO. The current In-screen FPS are more than good enough.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I guess with warranty service being tricky in the US and there being a spot of trouble with some displays, I might skip this as a gift idea for my husband. He says he’s tapped out the phone budget for this year anyway and wants to see what the 2019 phones are like. He does still have a lot more fun to have with his P20 Pro. I have no idea what I will get him, though. :eek: Uh...peace and quiet?

It is fascinating to see what Huawei has come up with in this Mate 20 Pro, though. It has everything but the kitchen sink. And you know they considered throwing that in, too! :p Let’s see if it does have the kitchen sink in 2019!

I myself am definitely not in the market for a new phone. I just got the Xr and it gets almost every photo I try to take. It’s great. I can’t wait to see what Apple does for an encore next year. But wow, I’m impressed with my Xr. I’m still impressed with my S9+. It’s fun reading about all these new phones but yeah, I’m good. :)

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
I guess with warranty service being tricky in the US and there being a spot of trouble with some displays, I might skip this as a gift idea for my husband. He says he’s tapped out the phone budget for this year anyway and wants to see what the 2019 phones are like. He does still have a lot more fun to have with his P20 Pro. I have no idea what I will get him, though. :eek: Uh...peace and quiet?

It is fascinating to see what Huawei has come up with in this Mate 20 Pro, though. It has everything but the kitchen sink. And you know they considered throwing that in, too! Let’s see if it does have the kitchen sink in 2019!

I myself am definitely not in the market for a new phone. I just got the Xr and it gets almost every photo I try to take. It’s great. I can’t wait to see what Apple does for an encore next year. But wow, I’m impressed with my Xr. I’m still impressed with my S9+. It’s fun reading about all these new phones but yeah, I’m good. :)
Your husband may reconsider that phone budget after seeing the Mate 20 X next to the Mate 20 Pro

Reactions: 5105973

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
By the way, I have to say even as a Notch hater that Huawei have made a good case for it as the Mate 20 Pro manages to squeeze in more content into its display thanks to the Notch and Gesture UI vs the Galaxy Note9 and Galaxy Note8.

GSMArena Mate 20 Pro next to Note9.
f13698ff71da7baff5e2ca802b407857.jpg

My Mate 20 Pro next to my Note8
43b9883ad3d0dcdbf7247dbdd25fe7a5.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.