Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Like it or not they are on the way to world's largest cell phone maker in the world. To them, the world market except US that is what counts. Their technology is so far advanced who they want to copy from?
They’ve been caught doing things they should not, and as with Samsung, their earlier products were highly derivative of Apple’s designs, to put it politely. But I’m not going to turn this into a thread bashing them on their shady practices. They legitimately did a beautiful job with this presentation and it’s much more fun to talk about that.

That orange color is stunning. Huawei knows how to have fun with colors.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
DXO mattered here at MacRumours right up until Huawei started winning then it suddenly stopped mattering.

Anything Huawei does very well does not matter here.

Reactions: Klyster

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The problem with DXO is that it gave preference towards devices with optical zoom capabilities, thus automatically gave phones without one a disadvantage. I mean the iPhone XR's main camera is the same as the XS/XS Max, but it gets lower score due to the lack of telephoto lens. Yet the fact that the XR/Pixel 3 can be so close to the P20/Note 9 means to me that their overall picture quality from the regular lens is already very good.
[doublepost=1553672540][/doublepost]Huawei devices are great, but imo they're not perfect. My main issues with them mostly:
- Bang for buck. If you get one when it's on a flash sale or something, then they're great, but with MSRP, Xiaomi and other Chinese OEMs offer better bang for the buck when comparing the same price points.
- Too many Huawei analytics/apps on EMUI that I personally feel not needed. Even Xiaomi don't seem to be as intrusive.
- Not supporting as many VoLTE carriers as Xiaomi
- Even with their bragging about their camera, Huawei still doesn't properly support Android Camera2 API, making it hard for other camera apps to take advantage of the hardware.

Their positive sides:
- EMUI sips battery very lightly. It's either quite efficient or very aggressive in keeping power hungry apps down.
- Huawei tends to be generous in storage, offering 128GB for even mid range models where others only tops out at 64GB.
- Their night mode camera can be quite astonishing.

As for the P30, I'm not as exciting as they are flagship with flagship prices. Things are more interesting when Huawei is trying to compete with the likes of Xiaomi, so models like the Honor View and Huawei Nova series get my attention more as they are offering most of the flagship features (including chipset) for less.

Reactions: 5105973

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Care to share where you're getting it so cheap?

its a trick with one of our Dutch mobile carier; you order the phone with a mobile subscription which you can already end after 1 month of usage, the trick is you pay the phone fully and after receiving the phone you end the subscription directly.
So in the end you only pay a total of €668 for a €999 phone :)

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
its a trick with one of our Dutch mobile carier; you order the phone with a mobile subscription which you can already end after 1 month of usage, the trick is you pay the phone fully and after receiving the phone you end the subscription directly.
So in the end you only pay a total of €668 for a €999 phone :)
Gotta love loopholes. lol

Reactions: Geert76 and 5105973

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Looks like a beast of a phone, and reasonably cheap here in NZ.

The Note 10 better be a beast of a phone too as this phone has me piqued.

Reactions: jamezr and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
DXO mattered here at MacRumours right up until Huawei started winning then it suddenly stopped mattering.

We are jelly, that’s why!
[doublepost=1553689895][/doublepost]
Anyone know a good place to order online that ships to USA?
My husband got his P20 Pro from a highly rated seller on Amazon but he doesn’t recall who and it doesn’t readily show up on order history.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

That's not entirely true...... Personally......I have no interest in Huawei phones....so why brag about the great DXO scores when I have zero interest in getting one? :D
I think Huawei are doing great things with cameras on smartphones.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
@Aneres11 no interest this year? I know last year you were really into the P20 and P20 Pro. I assume it's due to you being happy with your S10. :D

I haven't even looked at these properly yet at all.
I will give a proper look at them later tonight and see what I think.

Really pleased with my S10 so will take a lot to get me away from it!

Reactions: noobinator

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
This P30 Pro is larger and heavier than the P20 Pro and Mate 20 Pro, I just realised. I wonder how much it will appeal to people coming from the slimmer and more compact P20 Pro
53dd8394f875208aa21b50326c0725c7.jpg
ba810ea8373cf50e3e39aef4f4e3d307.jpg

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
The problem with DXO is that it gave preference towards devices with optical zoom capabilities, thus automatically gave phones without one a disadvantage. I mean the iPhone XR's main camera is the same as the XS/XS Max, but it gets lower score due to the lack of telephoto lens. Yet the fact that the XR/Pixel 3 can be so close to the P20/Note 9 means to me that their overall picture quality from the regular lens is already very good.
[doublepost=1553672540][/doublepost]Huawei devices are great, but imo they're not perfect. My main issues with them mostly:
- Bang for buck. If you get one when it's on a flash sale or something, then they're great, but with MSRP, Xiaomi and other Chinese OEMs offer better bang for the buck when comparing the same price points.
- Too many Huawei analytics/apps on EMUI that I personally feel not needed. Even Xiaomi don't seem to be as intrusive.
- Not supporting as many VoLTE carriers as Xiaomi
- Even with their bragging about their camera, Huawei still doesn't properly support Android Camera2 API, making it hard for other camera apps to take advantage of the hardware.

Their positive sides:
- EMUI sips battery very lightly. It's either quite efficient or very aggressive in keeping power hungry apps down.
- Huawei tends to be generous in storage, offering 128GB for even mid range models where others only tops out at 64GB.
- Their night mode camera can be quite astonishing.

As for the P30, I'm not as exciting as they are flagship with flagship prices. Things are more interesting when Huawei is trying to compete with the likes of Xiaomi, so models like the Honor View and Huawei Nova series get my attention more as they are offering most of the flagship features (including chipset) for less.

Not professional but a good comp of cameras of the P30 Pro, S10+, and iPhone XS Max.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.