Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Don't know if it means anything but several SB models are sold out or no stock on Microsoft's store. The one TB model of both models, that's surprising to me, wonder what the use case is to need that much storage. Maybe it's just all those Apple converts who always buy the maxed models cause they can :)

I opted for 256 on my Surface Book, really looked at my storage needs this time; like many others majority of space is consumed by media, Surface Book I now only keep music on the SSD, bought a 2TB Seagate Wireless drive for video & backup, this offers a larger catalogue. Of course another option open is a Micro SD Card and suitable adapter for the Surface Books SD slot. I also have a SanDisk Extreme 500external SSD for backup & high speed recovery.

Really unless the workflow calls for it, large high speed internal storage doesn't add up to anything much more than convenience, ironically I now have far more free space on my Surface Book than my Mac's some with significantly more internal storage.

Q-6

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I opted for 256 on my Surface Book, really looked at my storage needs this time; like many others majority of space is consumed by media, Surface Book I now only keep music on the SSD, bought a 2TB Seagate Wireless drive for video & backup, this offers a larger catalogue. Of course another option open is a Micro SD Card and suitable adapter for the Surface Books SD slot. I also have a SanDisk Extreme 500external SSD for backup & high speed recovery.

Really unless the workflow calls for it, large high speed internal storage doesn't add up to anything much more than convenience, ironically I now have far more free space on my Surface Book than my Mac's some with significantly more internal storage.

Q-6
I purchased a 128GB model, I Won a Samsung 256GB microSD and BaseQ adapter. That hold my media from both ITunes and Groove Music, photos etc. Use Time Capsule for backup. I won't trust any SD card for work or home critical files having experienced card failures, so the internal storage holds that.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Don't know if it means anything but several SB models are sold out or no stock on Microsoft's store. The one TB model of both models, that's surprising to me, wonder what the use case is to need that much storage. Maybe it's just all those Apple converts who always buy the maxed models cause they can :)
All sold out?

Refresh soon? :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I purchased a 128GB model, I Won a Samsung 256GB microSD and BaseQ adapter.
That's the model I have, and I also have the BaseQ adapter, I just don't have an microSD card quite yet. The Samsung 256GB is fast?

Refresh soon?
Yup, people are expecting someting in March/April.

The last rumors I heard was the fulcrum hinge was going away for something more traditional. Other then that, I don't know what else that may occur.

Reactions: v0lume4

Queen6

macrumors G4
Yup, people are expecting something in March/April.

The last rumors I heard was the fulcrum hinge was going away for something more traditional. Other then that, I don't know what else that may occur.

Lots out there right now; Kaby Lake is given, new rechargeable Pen with tilt, USB C in the base, faster storage etc. Wilder one's; 15" with Quad Core i7 & 3:2 4K panel. Kinda of hope that Microsoft retains the fulcrum hinge, as it's really a unique design aspect of the Surface Book.

If Microsoft was to deliver with a 15" Surface notebook, as well as they have done in the 13" class i've got the money waiting :cool: think a 15" is a real strech for Surface equally one can hope. Microsoft certainly surprised "all" when they launched the Studio most definitely looking forward to the Microsoft events over the coming year :)

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Same here, I'd probably sell my SB and get the 15" model.

For me if a 15" Surface Book materialises I will retain my 13" i7 for jobs where portability is a factor. A 15" Surface device will replace my ageing rMBP with finally a worthy successor one hopes. I also have no illiusions that a 15" Surface notebook with the right spec will easily be in the region of $3K, then again if it boosts productivity a solid investment.

Ultimately speculation until we see what Microsoft have in store for 2017...

Q-6

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Lots out there right now; Kaby Lake is given, new rechargeable Pen with tilt, USB C in the base, faster storage etc. Wilder one's; 15" with Quad Core i7 & 3:2 4K panel. Kinda of hope that Microsoft retains the fulcrum hinge, as it's really a unique design aspect of the Surface Book.

If Microsoft was to deliver with a 15" Surface notebook, as well as they have done in the 13" class i've got the money waiting :cool: think a 15" is a real strech for Surface equally one can hope. Microsoft certainly surprised "all" when they launched the Studio most definitely looking forward to the Microsoft events over the coming year :)

Q-6

If a 15" model does materialize, I'd be surprised to see it maintain the existing model's removable 'tablet' display but would would rather expect something like the more and more common 360 degree hinge.

A 13" tablet is already pretty unwieldy. Going with the convertible hinge would still allow them to maintain the same 'tablet' functionality and easier use of the pen without the compromises that come with having to accommodate a removable display. Has to also cost less and be easier to manufacture.

Just my $0.02.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Yup, people are expecting someting in March/April.
Fingers crossed! I've been trying to dig up rumors on the new Surface Book but there's nearly nothing out there. A rumored release window for early 2017 is the only semi-unanimously-accepted rumor. How has Microsoft kept all of this in the dark?
If Microsoft was to deliver with a 15" Surface notebook, as well as they have done in the 13" class i've got the money waiting :cool:
That's literally my only reservations in purchasing a Surface Book. The 13" display and the dual-core processor. I have a mid-2010 dual-core MBP 13" and want to upgrade to a 15" machine with a quad-core processor. And unfortunately for me, the only Windows laptop that I REALLY want is a Surface Book -- which offers neither of those two things. One can hope! Come on MS!

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
That's the model I have, and I also have the BaseQ adapter, I just don't have an microSD card quite yet. The Samsung 256GB is fast?

I only use it for movies, music, and word files works fine for those.

Queen6

macrumors G4
If a 15" model does materialize, I'd be surprised to see it maintain the existing model's removable 'tablet' display but would would rather expect something like the more and more common 360 degree hinge.

A 13" tablet is already pretty unwieldy. Going with the convertible hinge would still allow them to maintain the same 'tablet' functionality and easier use of the pen without the compromises that come with having to accommodate a removable display. Has to also cost less and be easier to manufacture.

Just my $0.02.

This why I think it will be interesting to see what Microsoft does in the 15" class, as I also don't see simply a larger version of the current Surface Book working, assuming that Microsoft gets in the game. A 360 or a "Flip" style approach would seem logical and your point on cost is also factor.

Q-6
[doublepost=1485559793][/doublepost]
Fingers crossed! I've been trying to dig up rumors on the new Surface Book but there's nearly nothing out there. A rumored release window for early 2017 is the only semi-unanimously-accepted rumor. How has Microsoft kept all of this in the dark?

That's literally my only reservations in purchasing a Surface Book. The 13" display and the dual-core processor. I have a mid-2010 dual-core MBP 13" and want to upgrade to a 15" machine with a quad-core processor. And unfortunately for me, the only Windows laptop that I REALLY want is a Surface Book -- which offers neither of those two things. One can hope! Come on MS!

With the 13" Surface Book having a 3:2 aspect ratio display it's noticeably larger than a typical 13" notebook in use. Same am hoping that Microsoft will launch a 15" Surface this year, one thing is certain, if they do it will be interesting.

Q-6

Last edited:

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
With the 13" Surface Book having a 3:2 aspect ratio display it's noticeably larger than a typical 13" notebook in use. Same am hoping that Microsoft will launch a 15" Surface this year, one thing is certain, if they do it will be interesting.

Q-6

3:2 at 15" (or even 17") would be phenomenal.

I'm not sure they'll do it just because of how big it would be for a tablet, but who knows... they're doing all kinds of creative things these days.

Reactions: v0lume4 and Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
3:2 at 15" (or even 17") would be phenomenal.

I'm not sure they'll do it just because of how big it would be for a tablet, but who knows... they're doing all kinds of creative things these days.

That's my thinking, Microsoft are currently on a charge creatively and Apple has left a percentage of it's users out in the cold with the latest MBP release, would seem the market is more than ready for a premium 15" that stands out from the crowd. Personally I envisage a 360 or flip type display or the ilk, as 15" is really pushing it for a tablet, more a portable "Studio" than a larger "Book" if you get my meaning.

Time will tell, as for all we know Microsoft may well have absolutely no intention of bringing a larger portable Surface device to market, rather more intent to focus on the Surface Phone. All the same I hope that Microsoft does enter the 15" class as from recent history they will likely mix things up and surprise us all :)

Q-6

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
1. I'm a developer and Windows is not unix based, has weird line endings, and uses backward slashes. It's annoying for me to set all my stuff up to work on windows, and for my job I would even have to run VMs and stuff. I always feel annoyed at this because my SP4 would be awesome if I could use it for work

2. It's buggy. My SP4 currently has two annoying bugs. One, since the last firmware update, the fan runs too much. Two, Metro IE currently has a bug where TLS 1.2 doesn't work properly so some sites (including ALL google websites) don't work. Then there's weird bugs like how DP 1.2 displays don't work properly for me, and actually crash windows. How I turned off Windows Hello and yet randomly when I boot it sometimes activates itself anyway. I find that there's lots of random freezes in programs in Windows that I don't experience in OS X.

3. ITS UGLY! A personal preference, but I think Windows is ugly as heck. Font rendering is ugly, win32 apps are ugly.

4. Battery sucks. I've owned every Surface and many Windows laptops and battery has always sucked compared to the several Macbooks I have owned

I have an SP4 and agree, battery life is pretty bad. But I will say my Dell XPS 13" With top specs gets 10 hours a day of constant use.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Cool! A SB thread :)

Mine arrived yesterday and I sold my 2016 nonTB MacBook Pro. I opted for the i5 / 8 / 256 model and so far I like it with no issues whatsoever to report..

The 'clipboard' feature is pretty sweet I have to admit, I was skeptical of it but already used it a few times today in tablet mode.. Diggin it!

Queen6

macrumors G4

Mine arrived yesterday and I sold my 2016 nonTB MacBook Pro. I opted for the i5 / 8 / 256 model and so far I like it with no issues whatsoever to report..

The 'clipboard' feature is pretty sweet I have to admit, I was skeptical of it but already used it a few times today in tablet mode.. Diggin it!

Home of the "Pirates" ;) Few months down the line with Surface Book remain to be impressed. I am 80/20 biased to notebook usage, equally the Clipboard excels for my needs; generally impromptu sporadic intervals, with the 3:2 aspect ratio being perfect for a "working" notebook, with the additional vertical space most welcome, over the majority of Windows based PC's 16:9.

Looking forward to see what Microsoft releases next, a new class of 15" Surface would be awesome, as given the track record it will be in a class of it's own, very much differing from the rest of the line.

Q-6

Reactions: raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
The 3:2 aspect is indeed nice. I had a Chromebook Pixel that used the same and I dug it even though all the reviewers at the time slammed the aspect ratio...

I used clipboard mode again today while lounging on the couch and it's certainly a nice option to have, that's for sure!

I am happy with it, now I need to do some research in finding Windows compatible apps for the stuff I had on Mac..

Reactions: Queen6

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
The 3:2 aspect is indeed nice. I had a Chromebook Pixel that used the same and I dug it even though all the reviewers at the time slammed the aspect ratio...

I used clipboard mode again today while lounging on the couch and it's certainly a nice option to have, that's for sure!

I am happy with it, now I need to do some research in finding Windows compatible apps for the stuff I had on Mac..
I have started turning the clipboard around, I don't have to balance it and no battery concerns. I did buy another charger to plug in the clipboard when on the couch but without a stand. It wasn't ideal for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6 and raqball

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
E

Enjoy :)

Reactions: raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Not really Surface Book related but anyone know of a service that mimics handoff and continuity?

I have the SB and a Pixel phone now and I'd like to get SMS on the SB and copy and paste between the 2. I did find a program called Pushbullet but not sure if it will do everything seamlessly...

I don't mind paying for it but wanted to see if anyone had used it and can comment before I buy. The free version appears to work okay but the paid version apparently adds copy and paste functionally along with a few others things..

Last edited:

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Well here's another way to use it. At work I have a 34 wide screen and below it I have my new SB Performance base reversed along with a bluetooth kb and mouse. Now I can use the widescreen for the big stuff while using the touchscreen on the SB to do quick responses, slack/email/skype etc. Works really well.

Who says touchscreens are useless on a PC?

I have started turning the clipboard around, I don't have to balance it and no battery concerns. I did buy another charger to plug in the clipboard when on the couch but without a stand. It wasn't ideal for me.

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.