Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Well here's another way to use it. At work I have a 34 wide screen and below it I have my new SB Performance base reversed along with a bluetooth kb and mouse. Now I can use the widescreen for the big stuff while using the touchscreen on the SB to do quick responses, slack/email/skype etc. Works really well.

Who says touchscreens are useless on a PC?
This is the strength and flexibility of 2 in 1's it's all about options not exclusions

Reactions: Queen6

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Well here's another way to use it. At work I have a 34 wide screen and below it I have my new SB Performance base reversed along with a bluetooth kb and mouse. Now I can use the widescreen for the big stuff while using the touchscreen on the SB to do quick responses, slack/email/skype etc. Works really well.

Who says touchscreens are useless on a PC?

I couldn't agree more. Mine spends a lot of it's time connected to an Asus 24" the display port turns it into a really versatile device. It's screen is also very good....thought the price tag was a little high at the time, but I now think it's justified own it's MS tax.

Reactions: raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
The more I use mine the more I like it.. Win 10 has been rock solid for me thus far and I've still not had a single issue with it...

If this is what I can expect from MS then my Apple laptop buying days are over and done with unless they do a 180...

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The more I use mine the more I like it.. Win 10 has been rock solid for me thus far and I've still not had a single issue with it...

If this is what I can expect from MS then my Apple laptop buying days are over and done with unless they do a 180...

I'm done too..A touch bar isn't a major upgrade. I also worry about the Imac range, but that's for another thread in another section.

Reactions: raqball

Queen6

macrumors G4

Same it's difficult to justify Apple's pricing for the Mac given the value they currently represent, nor do I see the trend reversing...

Q-6

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Same here. Been using my new Surface book for several weeks now it has operated without flaw. The keyboard is one pleasant surprise!

Queen6

macrumors G4
Same here. Been using my new Surface book for several weeks now it has operated without flaw. The keyboard is one pleasant surprise!

Same here Surface Book's keyboard is the best I have used in a notebook, has all the stability of Apple's new butterfly keys without compromising on travel. Only other notebook keyboard's I would put in the same class are some of the the larger Thinkpad's.

Q-6

Reactions: kazmac

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Same here Surface Book's keyboard is the best I have used in a notebook, has all the stability of Apple's new butterfly keys without compromising on travel. Only other notebook keyboard's I would put in the same class are some of the the larger Thinkpad's.

Q-6

I used "W" series Thinkpads for years and years but started having more and more problems with them. The last one I bought was near $3500 and would not even boot up right out of the box. They do have outstanding keyboards. The Surface book does as good as my best Thinkpad and it would take 4 of them stacked on top of each other to equal the thickness of the "w" series Thinkpad.

No way I would get rid of my Surfacebook . . . . well unless they made a better Surfacebook

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Yeah I think the Surface is in my future hehe. Had to use my 2010 MacBook Pro for something the other day and it really is slow, that's with 8GB Ram and an SSD drive. Think the OSX updates have killed it. As much as I like the new MB Pro, it's too much money for what I would want.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
This may help
According to Lisa the Kaby Lake x360 doesn't have full pen support, note this is the 2016 model, I don't now if HP have subsequently add pen support for 2017.

Q-6

Thank you as always. :)

I hope she reviews the 2017 model soon as I am seeing mixed reactions and that it runs hot.

They have added some pen support for the 2017 15.6" x360, but I don't know if it is just the HP pen or not.

I am hoping Microsoft will release a new Surface Book in the next month or so; as it is looking more as if I will do some video conversions, ripping and editing on whatever PC laptop I buy (along with writing, light photo editing and the usual web, email etc.).

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Thank you as always. :)

I hope she reviews the 2017 model soon as I am seeing mixed reactions and that it runs hot.

They have added some pen support for the 2017 15.6" x360, but I don't know if it is just the HP pen or not.

I am hoping Microsoft will release a new Surface Book in the next month or so; as it is looking more as if I will do some video conversions, ripping and editing on whatever PC laptop I buy (along with writing, light photo editing and the usual web, email etc.).

Rumours are that the next Surface Pro, 5, will be announced in March. So I'd guess an update for the Surface Book will be the same time? Which I think will be spec bumps like new GPUs and Kaby Lake etc etc. I have seen rumours of a 4K screen in the new Pro, I don't think so but you never know?

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Not certain the 2017 Spectre 360 has full pen support (active digitiser), which may be a deciding factor.

Q-6

It does for 2017.
[doublepost=1486916642][/doublepost]
This may help
According to Lisa the Kaby Lake x360 doesn't have full pen support, note this is the 2016 model, I don't know if HP have subsequently add pen support for 2017.

Q-6

That is a 2016 model. 2017 models just came out.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Maybe i'm just stupid but over the last month my eyestrain has increased using Chrome the white backround was harsh, only way I can describe it. I have tweaked Chrome settings, restarted several times, none really had an effect. I tried leaving auto brightness on suggested, brighter, etc. As a last resort I turned of auto brightness restarted and BOOM problem solved, screen 50% but something else changed. Chrome looks 100% better to me, Eyestrain is gone. Still not as crisp as Edge but very close.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Yeah, the 13" and 15" both support the pen which is actually included per what I heard from MobileTechReview.

The HP is definitely eye catching, I like it a lot, but from what I've seen, its a 15w TDP CPU, where as the Dell uses the 45w TDP. Plus with the dell you get a better GPU. Still for medium sort of work, I like the HP

Queen6

macrumors G4
The HP is definitely eye catching, I like it a lot, but from what I've seen, its a 15w TDP CPU, where as the Dell uses the 45w TDP. Plus with the dell you get a better GPU. Still for medium sort of work, I like the HP

If you don't need the performance of the quad core CPU and stronger dGPU the HP make for a compelling package, especially being a 360 2 in 1 with full pen support. I find my Surface Book's custom 940M offers a nice uplift in graphic performance over iGPU.

What I think is; if your satisfied with your Surface Book's performance the 15" 360 will be more so, thx to 7th Gen CPU (marginally) and the dGPU. HP has made huge strides in it's design and quality, that said I've never personally had issue and still have an old DV2 that runs, which has seen off several Mac's :p

Q-6

Reactions: kazmac

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Hmm, per what I read the HP has the better cpu vs the XPS 2 in 1 model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.