Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NicP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
So i just got back from my local apple replace place where mine and my girlfriends macbooks have been sitting for the past week, i went there to try and show them the random shutting down problem the computers have. Mine also has a faulty superdrive and my girlfriends has discoloration on the palm rests. So far the only thing being fixed is the superdrive (one is on order), the discoloration they wont replace without geting authorisation from apple and the random shutdown problems they cant duplicate.

A week ago i spoke to apple on the phone for an hour to try and get these computers replaced, after being fowarded through 4 departments and back to the one i started at i was told that they only replace or refund computers under "exceptional circumstances".

Its frustrating enough when something goes wrong with a brand new piece of equipment, but when multiple things go wrong with 2 pieces of equipment and i'm told its not an "exceptional circumstance" and it cant be replaced it needs to go in for repair i get pissed.

And now the computers arent even being repaired, nothing is being done about the shutdowns because the problem is hard to duplicate. now i need to call applecare again to get authorisation to swap the palm rest for one that isnt discolored.

These computers are driving me insane, i can understand that there might be problems but why cant apple just swap the computers? Ive called applecare numerous times and driven to the repair place 3 times, I just want computers that work. 3 people I know were going to buy macbooks (2 friends and my girlfriends brother), after both our macbooks have have problems and its been such a hassle to get them fixed they have changed their mind.

Well done on driving customers away

/end rant

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
You might as well say that you hate computers, because there is always a margin of error in any product. In fact, why don't you just cut to the chase and say you hate everything?

I have had no problems with my macbook. Nothing. The majority of people who buy them have the same experience as I. You're basing it on two bad apples (pun intended), and 'that ain't right'.

furious

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Australia
at the apple reseller near me all they do to test machines like in your case is turn them on for 5 minutes

nothing else

this is in Australia the place is called #%$@*&&( i have a grudge against them. my friends PC was in the shop for three weeks and had not been looked at :eek:

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Subiklim said:
You might as well say that you hate computers, because there is always a margin of error in any product. In fact, why don't you just cut to the chase and say you hate everything?

I have had no problems with my macbook. Nothing. The majority of people who buy them have the same experience as I. You're basing it on two bad apples (pun intended), and 'that ain't right'.

Doesn't mean he can't hate it though, if I bought a product and gave me nothing but trouble I would definitely stop thinking of it as a good product, even if other people have no problems, for example if I buy an app and have trouble installing it or something I'll hate it, even if other people love it or even if its a good app. And discolored palm rests, random shutdowns and faulty superdrives are more than just a "margin of error" they are very serious problems and if they present on 2 apples then it might already be a reason to hate it.

Your reasoning screams "macbook fanboy".

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
that's what happens when you buy 1st revs!

should've bought yourself a 12 inch Powerbook or iBook. but i agree, these problems happen and you may have bad hardware. if you ever have a problem with your Mac, take it to a Apple Retail Store and not a reseller.

or you can be like me, fed up with new Apple hardware that you've decided to switch to Windows.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Subiklim said:

You're fortunate, and to be sure, in the majority.

But to be honest, a lot of people are having this exact same problem. A guy I work with, who I convinced to buy a Macbook, is having this problem. While I don't have hard statistics as to how many, it seems that an inordinate amount of Macbooks are experiencing the shut-down issues as described above. If only one of them had the problem, then I can see you're point. But both of their MB's are going through the exact same thing, and "that ain't right."

The guy who I work with who bought the Macbook took it in to the Apple store. He was worried that he would have to replicate the problem, since the time it would shut down varied quite a bit. Once he explained his issue, they didn't even want him to try and replicate it. They just said that this problem is happening with a lot of MB's. They took it, and sent it in for repair.

There are a lot of MB's out there in the repair shop. A lot.

NicP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
Subiklim said:

I think you missed the point, i understand there are problems but what i cant understand is how apple cant just replace the faulty macbooks and be done with it. As i said, if there is 1 problem with a macbook fine, but for multiple problems with multiple macbooks dont you think apple should clasify this as an "exceptional circumstance" and just replace the machines?

What gets me so fed up is not the problems with the hardware, but the hoops i have to jump through to get working hardware which i paid for, and the time i have to be without a computer.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Dont worry about people like Subiklim. Alot of people unfortunatly on this site drink a little too much of the Apple Cool Aid. I know exactly what you mean, took me over a month (having Apple Care on my PowerMac G5) to convince them that yea, my Motherboard and or Processor had gone bad. And believe me, dragging a G5 in middle of the mall, all the way from 2nd or 3rd floor parking lot blows nuts. This computer gets heavy real fast and doing it 5 o 6 times sucks even more.

I would really just stick firm because a new machine should not have that much problems at all. And anybody can say what they want but the MacBooks are having alot of problems and its no myth and nothing sucks more to pay top money for something and have to go in so much for it, only to get a round -o-round.

And what I hate more is people who justify ****** products by saying "thats what happens when you buy Rev-A". That is a pure fanboy statement. He paid top money for his product to work. Thats Apple's fault that they have problems, not a customer who paid.

NicP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
progx said:

should've bought yourself a 12 inch Powerbook or iBook. but i agree, these problems happen and you may have bad hardware. if you ever have a problem with your Mac, take it to a Apple Retail Store and not a reseller.

or you can be like me, fed up with new Apple hardware that you've decided to switch to Windows.

There are no proper apple retail stores in Australia (AFAIK). Everyone is a reseller. I must admit i'm tempted to switch back to linux, dont think i could ever switch back to windows ;)

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
South Australia, Australia
progx said:

I feel for you NicP - and would have thought Apple would replace it for you - it's now probably cost them a few more sales - and sure this won't kill the company - but if you multiply it by all the ppl who have been put through the mill with a faulty MB then it adds up.

progx: sure it's a 1st revision - but someone has to buy them - so that they are out there being tested in the real world for there to ever be future revs. I don't think it's fair to suggest that ppl who buy 1st revs are reckless consumers. Whilst you didn't say this - it was sort of inferred.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
NicP said:
what i cant understand is how apple cant just replace the faulty macbooks and be done with it. As i said, if there is 1 problem with a macbook fine, but for multiple problems with multiple macbooks dont you think apple should clasify this as an "exceptional circumstance" and just replace the machines?

It would be nice it things worked that way, but they don't. If apple opened up their repair/replace program more, the amount of fraud would increase. People returning computers for 1 dead pixel, people demanding a replacement after 1 crash (and claiming that there were many despite apple being unable to replicate the problem) etc. I'm not saying that this is what you're doing, but unfortunately there are a lot of dishonest people out there.

Apple is doing their best to balance the line of keeping as many customers as possible, and keep their profits high. Expecting any less of them is just plain dumb.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
illegalprelude said:
Thats Apple's fault that they have problems, not a customer who paid.

Apple has REPEATEDLY had problems with REV A systems. Jobs has a habit of pushing them out before they're ready. People who continue to buy these REV A systems, despite the problems (macbook being an anomaly) are to blame.

Look at Audi. They sell high cost cars, and yet they are hardly as reliable as a Toyota. Am I blaming Audi? No. I blame the consumer who didn't do their research.

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
South Australia, Australia
NicP said:
There are no proper apple retail stores in Australia (AFAIK). Everyone is a reseller. I must admit i'm tempted to switch back to linux, dont think i could ever switch back to windows ;)

Given this is the reality for Australia - as I'm going to be purchasing a new Macbook in the next few weeks - I'm caught between going back to Next Byte (reseller) or buying straight through apple online. If we had a geniune Apple shop, I would just walk in without thinking about it. I have a feeling Australian resellers order online anyway...just like individual consumers.

But like you NicP I'd imagine - when there is a problem, it's nice to know you can walk in somewhere and get a real person to liaise with over the issue in real time.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Subiklim said:
Apple has REPEATEDLY had problems with REV A systems. Jobs has a habit of pushing them out before they're ready. People who continue to buy these REV A systems, despite the problems (macbook being an anomaly) are to blame.

Look at Audi. They sell high cost cars, and yet they are hardly as reliable as a Toyota. Am I blaming Audi? No. I blame the consumer who didn't do their research.

So wait, because apple's 1st gen stuff has always had problems, its some how the consumers fault and not apple? :confused:
More so, if apple has a history of this, they need to stand behind their products and customers. Apple needs us, not the other way around.
Dont get me wrong, I love my Apple stuff but I have no problem sticking to my PC if i ever wanted to leave Apple, while Apple without its customers would be nothing.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
illegalprelude said:
So wait, because apple's 1st gen stuff has always had problems, its some how the consumers fault and not apple? :confused:
More so, if apple has a history of this, they need to stand behind their products and customers. Apple needs us, not the other way around.
Dont get me wrong, I love my Apple stuff but I have no problem sticking to my PC if i ever wanted to leave Apple, while Apple without its customers would be nothing.

So do it. It's the only way things will change. Apple won't spend the extra money to make bug-free systems if the consumers are lapping up the rev a computers.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Subiklim said:
So do it. It's the only way things will change. Apple won't spend the extra money to make bug-free systems if the consumers are lapping up the rev a computers.

But my G5 runs just fine :p If Apple continues to make poor 1st gen products, while the "switch campaign" is going on, they will have nothing to counter word of mouth and when the Fire of the iPod craze dies down, with the advent of Vista and other things, it could put apple in the same whole as before. (again, very drastic and harsh look at it) but I mean look at Dell, their crappy computers are ultimitly their own worst enemy. Mostly when Apple's butter of switch is the fact of supperior products.

Ryan5505

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
CA
Contact Apple Care

You need to write an email and keep contacting apple. I destoryed my first powerbook by letting it fall into a 3 inch deep puddle. Apple replaced, and upgraded me.

Last year I purchased a PB 1.33 my first mac. As I was taking my book bag out of my car the powerbook fell out of my bag and into a puddle about 3 inches deep. I only owned the laptop for five days. I let the laptop dry for about 12 hours and then tried to boot up, the screen flashed and then nothing.
I went to the apple store, after an hour they told me that they had found water in the machine and it would be a minimum of $900 for a deeper repair, to replace the airport card, dc board and processor.

I then conctacted apple care through email and stated the situation. The next day I had a reply that my new powerbook 1.5 would be arriving the next day and to send the old one back to them.

Ryan5505

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
CA
Apple Reply

Dear Ryan,

Thank you for contacting Apple.

Apple has issued Return Material Authorization (RMA) number 7403115514 for the PBG4 on your order number W139315**. We have also sent you a prepaid FedEx online label to rrhelmst@****.edu. In this email, you will find instructions for printing out your shipping label.

Please pack the item along with any cables and documentation in the original packing materials. Then, using the label you have printed out, ship the package to this address:

Apple
Attn: #7403115514
2811 Laguna Blvd.
Elk Grove, CA 95758

We have replaced your order under sales order number 70215237**.

We are shipping your replacement order to the following address:

Ryan H
**** Sterling Forest Drive
**** NC *****

The estimated ship date of your new PBG4 is on or before 8/03/05.

You will receive an email confirmation of shipment at rrhelmst@****.edu.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Sincerely,

Ryan5505

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
CA
As for the discoloration, that must be a white macbook. The iBooks also had an issue of looking dirty after use, They are not going to replace a laptop b/c it looks dirty. The ultimate reason for that is natural oils from fingers. The power issues should be resolved though. Keep contacting them. Email worked for me.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Subiklim said:

Well, Jobs sort of has to push them out fast, now that there's no Reality Distortion Field for the hardware. Besides, we're the ones posting dozens of times about the new stuff we hope that Apple would bring out next Tuesday.

Anyways, it's not the customer's fault. It may be Apple's fault, but it might not be. What's important is Apple's responsibility. If there are malfunctioning units, it is Apple's responsibility to get them fixed in reasonable time.

As for fault, I don't think discussing it really matters, as long as the customer has the final product at the end of the day without too many headaches. But fault would lay with Apple if their products suffer an abnormally high failure rate. To keep costs reasonable, Apple has to have some sort of failure tolerance - for example, with LCDs, certain numbers of dead pixels have to be acceptable for shipping, because if they tossed out all but the perfect LCDs, we would be paying higher prices. These higher prices would drive customers to other LCD vendors, or if all vendors adopted a perfect-pixel policy, customers would simply be forced to shell out more cash or downgrade to smaller LCD sizes. Now, back to laptops, there are people that accept MB 'moos' and other minor defects, just as there are people that accept LCD dead pixels. But if Apple's shipping 20% of MBs (arbitary number) with defects, while the industry average is 3%, and all these messed up MBs are just being recycled around with their problems to refurbs, then it would be Apple's fault.

Again, though, all that doesn't really matter. What matters is that customers that expect a good machine for their $1K get their good machine for $1K, and get it in a reasonable time frame.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
progx said:

While I would NEVER switch to Windows, I agree that this is a good example of why one should never buy a rev A product. It's the same as buying a car- NEVER buy a new model. After seeing the design for the MacBooks, I was impressed, but knew there would be kinks, thus I kept my iBook. I think that the MacBooks will be pretty trouble-free around rev C. I'll buy one then.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Subiklim said:

He has a valid reason, so he has a right to be absolutely fed up with Apple and whomever else. Rev A or not, he paid for the product, likely as much or more than someone who buys a Rev B will pay for his/hers.

Anyway, I had the dirty palmrests that I couldn't clean, and they told me on the spot that they'd order the part in and replace it. Two days later, it was done and I'm typing on it right now. Absolutely painless.

I know that the dirty trackpad and palmrest problem is a regular thing. It must be, since Apple used the same plastic on all the MacBooks. However, I'd like to see statistics that show that the random shut-down problem is major, and that lots of people are suffering from this known issue. I didn't know about it until I read this thread, and I know 4 other MacBook users who haven't had problems like this, either.

And my MacBook is fantastic. I'm loving it. :) Sorry for the people who don't have nice experiences with their MacBooks, but I'd like to see real statistics rather than "Lots of people have suffered this problem" type statements, because generally only people who have negative experiences will voice their opinion, and so it'll sound like a lot of people are having negative problems.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Abstract said:
Anyway, I had the dirty palmrests that I couldn't clean, and they told me on the spot that they'd order the part in and replace it. Two days later, it was done and I'm typing on it right now. Absolutely painless.

I didn't know Apple covered cosmetic damage. (I'm assuming that's what it is, with palmrests you can't clean.) I wonder if they would have fixed my powerbook's aluminum pitting around the left palmrest... technically looks like specs of dirt/ink on my palmrest that I can't clean. :(

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
THey don't cover cosmetic damage, but since the dirty palmrest issue is a recognized problem at Apple, and they announced that they'd replace the palmrest (top keyboard section) of any MacBook with this issue, I went in and had it replaced. ;)

This is why I was wondering if the "random shutdown" problem is really as big a problem as people here say it is, since Apple recognized the dirty palmrest problem rather quickly and agreed to replace that bit.

sierra oscar said:
Given this is the reality for Australia - as I'm going to be purchasing a new Macbook in the next few weeks - I'm caught between going back to Next Byte (reseller) or buying straight through apple online. If we had a geniune Apple shop, I would just walk in without thinking about it. I have a feeling Australian resellers order online anyway...just like individual consumers.

There's no difference. It's not as though your computer is going to be better if you buy directly from Apple. Order from either Apple, NextByte, Streetwise, MAC1, etc. I bought mine online, but only because I wanted the educational discount, and resellers aren't allowed to sell computers with an educational discount anymore. :rolleyes:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Ryan5505 said:
As for the discoloration, that must be a white macbook. The iBooks also had an issue of looking dirty after use, They are not going to replace a laptop b/c it looks dirty. The ultimate reason for that is natural oils from fingers. The power issues should be resolved though. Keep contacting them. Email worked for me.

I don't think you understand the problem. The iBooks did get dirty, but as long as you cleaned it, it was fine. It's a white product that you're using with your dirty hands. Of course it's going to look dirty.

However, with white MacBooks, they remain dirty even if you try cleaning it. After 2 months, my laptop started to look dirty, and I had tried to clean it quite a few times.

This is why Apple agreed to replace the lid covering the keyboard. It's manufacturing related (probably) to the plastics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.