Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NicP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
I ended up calling apple a week and a half ago, of course they tell me they cant replace the machine only repair it, the guy told me to take it to a specific place in the city because they had a fast turnaround time. Its just over a week and the repair center is still waiting on a replacement logic board for me. It was 4 weeks ago i first took the computer into a repair place to get it fixed, as you can imagine i'm not impressed, this costs me time and money (petrol, parking, tolls). I bought the machine at the start of semester to use for uni, its 8 weeks into the semester and for 5 of those weeks the computer has either been unusable or being repaired.

I spoke to my girlfriend today and her machine has been randomly shutting down too, but it doesnt seam to be happening regurlary enough to take into the techs. It would probably sit there for 2 weeks and they would say theres nothing wrong like last time. She lost a fair bit of work today when the machine just turned off.

As much as i love OSX its looking more and more like my next notebook wont be a mac. If there is a problem with any of our dell computers a technician comes to my house the next buisness day and fixes the problem. Next day home service is a lot better than 4 weeks where i have to make multiple trips to different repair centers.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
NicP said:
Next day home service is a lot better than 4 weeks where i have to make multiple trips to different repair centers.

Dell do have very good service. Well over this side of the atlantic anyway.

I had a dell laptop for nearly 4 years. I bought it in 2001 and it is still going strong for the person i sold it for. It was big and heavy but i miss it now. At least it was stable. I miss my iBook too though, that never crashed either.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
NicP said:
So i just got back from my local apple replace place where mine and my girlfriends macbooks have been sitting for the past week, i went there to try and show them the random shutting down problem the computers have. Mine also has a faulty superdrive and my girlfriends has discoloration on the palm rests. So far the only thing being fixed is the superdrive (one is on order), the discoloration they wont replace without geting authorisation from apple and the random shutdown problems they cant duplicate.

A week ago i spoke to apple on the phone for an hour to try and get these computers replaced, after being fowarded through 4 departments and back to the one i started at i was told that they only replace or refund computers under "exceptional circumstances".

Its frustrating enough when something goes wrong with a brand new piece of equipment, but when multiple things go wrong with 2 pieces of equipment and i'm told its not an "exceptional circumstance" and it cant be replaced it needs to go in for repair i get pissed.

And now the computers arent even being repaired, nothing is being done about the shutdowns because the problem is hard to duplicate. now i need to call applecare again to get authorisation to swap the palm rest for one that isnt discolored.

These computers are driving me insane, i can understand that there might be problems but why cant apple just swap the computers? Ive called applecare numerous times and driven to the repair place 3 times, I just want computers that work. 3 people I know were going to buy macbooks (2 friends and my girlfriends brother), after both our macbooks have have problems and its been such a hassle to get them fixed they have changed their mind.

Well done on driving customers away

/end rant

I feel with you.

I never had any trouble with a new electronic device (knocking on wood/head). But if I buy two brand new MacBooks and they both would be faulty I would start hating those machines too.

Good luck!

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
NicP said:
So i just got back from my local apple replace place where mine and my girlfriends macbooks have been sitting for the past week, i went there to try and show them the random shutting down problem the computers have. Mine also has a faulty superdrive and my girlfriends has discoloration on the palm rests. So far the only thing being fixed is the superdrive (one is on order), the discoloration they wont replace without geting authorisation from apple and the random shutdown problems they cant duplicate.

A week ago i spoke to apple on the phone for an hour to try and get these computers replaced, after being fowarded through 4 departments and back to the one i started at i was told that they only replace or refund computers under "exceptional circumstances".

Its frustrating enough when something goes wrong with a brand new piece of equipment, but when multiple things go wrong with 2 pieces of equipment and i'm told its not an "exceptional circumstance" and it cant be replaced it needs to go in for repair i get pissed.

And now the computers arent even being repaired, nothing is being done about the shutdowns because the problem is hard to duplicate. now i need to call applecare again to get authorisation to swap the palm rest for one that isnt discolored.

These computers are driving me insane, i can understand that there might be problems but why cant apple just swap the computers? Ive called applecare numerous times and driven to the repair place 3 times, I just want computers that work. 3 people I know were going to buy macbooks (2 friends and my girlfriends brother), after both our macbooks have have problems and its been such a hassle to get them fixed they have changed their mind.

Well done on driving customers away

/end rant

Call Apple they have done 4 service calls on it and now they are replacing the whole unit, most of the problems were from the actual repair.. now its starting to smudge up again so they want to replace it.. im not complaining

cookedwords

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
replacement of palmrest

I've read that some users who have sent in their macbook for the RSS issue have gotten theirs back with a greyish palmrest of different texture - assuming it's material that doesnt stain and easy to clean. Please confirm if true on some users' account after repair.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
NicP sig said:
Have albums with tracks that blend together with no break in sound?
Tired of that little jolt of silence in between songs?
Tell Apple you want true gapless playback in iTunes and iPod!

iTunes Feedback / iPod Feedback / Bug Reports
btw, thats been solved...

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Subiklim said:
You might as well say that you hate computers, because there is always a margin of error in any product. In fact, why don't you just cut to the chase and say you hate everything?

I have had no problems with my macbook. Nothing. The majority of people who buy them have the same experience as I. You're basing it on two bad apples (pun intended), and 'that ain't right'.

hey you area really good at exaggerating!!!! Are you a politician? Sure there is a margin of error, but last I checked my PC desktop didn't discolor and it sure as hell doesn't have random shutdowns...

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
My... a fresh fanboi foaming around his mouth...

Subiklim said:
You might as well say that you hate computers, because there is always a margin of error in any product.

Any product? Wake me up again when you see a premium car like a Mercedes or Rolls Royces that stalls randomly. Now you want to argue that Macs are not luxury products? Well, they certainly are overpriced for their quality...

Subiklim said:
In fact, why don't you just cut to the chase and say you hate everything?

Even better, just say he is a terrorist. Since he hate Macbooks, which by your inference means he hates everything, surely he hates people too, and therefore he hates GWB.

Oh my God, he wants to ASSASINATE Bush! And exterminate the Jews! Quick mods! Track down his IP address and forward it to homeland security!

Subiklim said:
I have had no problems with my macbook.

Good on you!

Subiklim said:
Nothing. The majority of people who buy them have the same experience as I.

You base this assertion on...?

Subiklim said:
You're basing it on two bad apples (pun intended), and 'that ain't right'.

And you are basing your judgement on him based on a single good Apple? Who is to say that you don't regularly eat rotten Apples as part of your daily diet and is incapable of distinguishing between good and bad?

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
ok

there are A LOT of macbooks randomly shutting down and that is unacceptable. I took mine to the genius bar he Immediatly knew about it, he sent it in for repair. Also, he Immediatly knew about the dirty palmwrests.

The stained palmwrests, Zoom Zoom Zoom, are not just consumer-created cosmetic problems, it's a defect in the material the macbook palm wrest is made out of. The genius looked at mine, which was Barely stained, and said no problem, he knew what was going on.

I got it back like 2 weeks later for some reason it took forever, and now, a month later, it has started shutting down again, not nearly as frequently, maybe once every few days, but i know that ina couple weeks it'll be shutting down like crazy.

It's not the consumers fault that they bought a Rev A product, whoever said that, you're just ****ing retarded, if I pay 1300 dollars for a laptop it should work, I dont care if it s abrand new product, maybe a couple minor defects here and there which apple fixes (like the stained wrist pads) but randomly shutting down whil i'm using it is unacceptable.

People cant understand the RSS until they experience it, it's so sudden, at first you're like. Woah, my screen just went black, then you realize, woah the computer is off!! Then you try to turn it on, no luck, you must wait a few minutes then try. It's horrible.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
NicP said:
I ended up calling apple a week and a half ago, of course they tell me they cant replace the machine only repair it, the guy told me to take it to a specific place in the city because they had a fast turnaround time. Its just over a week and the repair center is still waiting on a replacement logic board for me. It was 4 weeks ago i first took the computer into a repair place to get it fixed, as you can imagine i'm not impressed, this costs me time and money (petrol, parking, tolls). I bought the machine at the start of semester to use for uni, its 8 weeks into the semester and for 5 of those weeks the computer has either been unusable or being repaired.

I spoke to my girlfriend today and her machine has been randomly shutting down too, but it doesnt seam to be happening regurlary enough to take into the techs. It would probably sit there for 2 weeks and they would say theres nothing wrong like last time. She lost a fair bit of work today when the machine just turned off.

As much as i love OSX its looking more and more like my next notebook wont be a mac. If there is a problem with any of our dell computers a technician comes to my house the next buisness day and fixes the problem. Next day home service is a lot better than 4 weeks where i have to make multiple trips to different repair centers.

I really hope you have better luck, your experience is horrible. I dont know what to do, just keep contacting them i guess? the genius I went to Knew about the RSS I ddint even have to show him, and he knew about the staining wrist rests. He sent it in and got it fixed. (even though it started RSS again) i dont think apple knows what's causing RSS, but keep trying, maybe call Apple Care and be REALLY pissed, instead of demanding a replacement, demand a repair right away. IDk but i'd be really pissed if I were you.

I advocate apple and macbooks to everyone i know, then I look like a ****ing retard when my macbook just automatically turns off and takes away every argument apple has against windows about "it just works" i know that the OS is superior and it is infinitly more reliable, but the average consumer doesnt know anything about software/hardware/coding etc. he/she just sees my computer shut down randomly and draws the conclusion that apple sucks.

Come ON apple! Fix it!

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Subiklim said:
You might as well say that you hate computers, because there is always a margin of error in any product. In fact, why don't you just cut to the chase and say you hate everything?

I have had no problems with my macbook. Nothing. The majority of people who buy them have the same experience as I. You're basing it on two bad apples (pun intended), and 'that ain't right'.

### I just don't "get" how you can not understand this person's frustrations! You actually think the "customer service" this guy has experienced is sufficient? You wouldn't be upset if this s**t happened to you? If we don't ALL hold Apple to high standards in customer service, it **will** come back to bite ALL of us in the a$$ eventually...and that means you. The thrust of his post was about the CUSTOMER SERVICE...not the computers themselves. It *should* color one's perspective of the product when the company(APPLE) manufacturing that product treats them like s**t. Apple's customer service has been tanking over the past few years...and *I* am not going to compliment them for it.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
NicP said:

### If I were you...and you paid with a credit card...I would make a BIG stink via your credit card company and "dispute the charges"...no matter how long its been since your purchase. The customer will win these fights (fought by your credit card company) most of the time. I feel for ya...good luck.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
generik said:
Any product? Wake me up again when you see a premium car like a Mercedes or Rolls Royces that stalls randomly. Now you want to argue that Macs are not luxury products? Well, they certainly are overpriced for their quality...
Clearly you know nothing about Mercs or Rolls, neither is a good comparison to Apple, or each other. And Macs are not overpriced. How often do you have to spout this ancient history? Just for fun I specced out the nearest I could find to the base MB. A Sony SZ series. Came out to $1658, compared to Apple's $1099. I will give the Sony props on being up to a pound lighter.

Even better, just say he is a terrorist. Since he hate Macbooks, which by your inference means he hates everything, surely he hates people too, and therefore he hates GWB.

Oh my God, he wants to ASSASINATE Bush! And exterminate the Jews! Quick mods! Track down his IP address and forward it to homeland security!
What an ass. How are you not banned?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Donz0r said:
there are A LOT of macbooks randomly shutting down and that is unacceptable.
Unacceptable or not, the only thing that would have prevented the RSD issue would have been Apple knowing that MacBooks had this defect ... BEFORE they launched them.

It wasn't until THREE months *after* the MacBooks were launched that it became apparent in the MacBook Apple Support forum that the RSD wasn't an isolated issue. Before that, there were just as many "My MacBook RSDs" threads as there were "My MacBook battery swells when it charges" and "The eject key on my MacBook is crooked" threads. There was nothing there to indicate to Apple (or anyone watching the Apple forums) that this was as big of an issue as it appears to currently be.

This is EXACTLY the point of not buying a Rev A product -- they sometimes have hidden defects. In retrospect, this is such an easily fixable issue that there's zero conceivable reason for Apple to have shipped MacBooks had they known about this in advance. This mistake is going to cost them MILLIONS of dollars and ill-will from customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.