Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbonkowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2018
Hi, since I have plenty of Mac computers at my household and my 4.1 cMP (flashed to 5.1) with RX580 is used almost purely in bootcamp for gaming I decided to order RTX 3080 and try to make it work. Since it‘s possible to use 2000 series RTX with cMP I assumed 3000 series may also work. Last weekend I prepared my Mac to adopt this GPU:
  • Pixlas mod
  • Opencore
  • Clean Windows 10 install (GPT EFI, no legacy boot)
  • Moved PCIe fan to fit 320mm GPU
With RX580, my Mac boots straight to W10, everything works flawlessly as always.
Today my RTX arrived and surprise, surprise! It doesn’t work at all ?
No bootscreen, no opencore boot selector, no signal in W10, no signal at all.
I have installed teamviewer and connected to it with RTX inside, device manager doesn’t list any display adapters.
LED on RTX light up, fans are not spinning up at all. I tried second PCIe slot, same story.
My cMP has latest bootrom 144.0.0.0.0.

Do you have any ideas to make it work?
9403CE57-D5D9-414D-8068-E0D635A39A81.jpeg

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada
Hi, since I have plenty of Mac computers at my household and my 4.1 cMP (flashed to 5.1) with RX580 is used almost purely in bootcamp for gaming I decided to order RTX 3080 and try to make it work. Since it‘s possible to use 2000 series RTX with cMP I assumed 3000 series may also work. Last weekend I prepared my Mac to adopt this GPU:
  • Pixlas mod
  • Opencore
With RX580, my Mac boots straight to W10, everything works flawlessly as always.
I have installed teamviewer and connected to it with RTX inside, device manager doesn’t list any display adapters.
LED on RTX light up, fans are not spinning up at all. I tried second PCIe slot, same story.

View attachment 957928
You'd be one of the first to do this, have you tried manually installing nvidia drivers to see if they detect the GPU? have you tried other displayport/hdmi ports on the back? try to list every pci-e device in device manager to see if its showing up? I'm not aware that there is any reasons why this shouldnt work in windows, especially with the pixlas mod, try re-seating the GPU in the slot? My best guess is this is a software issue but those are my ideas.

sp1tf1r3

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2016
Interesting. At least you managed to boot and connect with Team Viewer.

I just snatched a 3070 : with firmware 138.0.0.0.0 it only gave me a Chime Loop of Death, and after updating to 144.0.0.0.0 it doesn't produce anything (no chime), nothing is displayed and it has no Caps Lock feedback, doesn't boot at all. PRAM reset doesn't work.

I could boot at one time with the card under-powered (only PCIe bus), but nothing showed up in the Device Manager, obviously.

I have yet to confirm that the card is 100% good, only tested it quickly with a PC mini ITX board, displayed at least the UEFI BIOS, have yet to use it with a real OS.

Anyone around here having a positive experience with an RTX 30x0 and cMP 2010-2012 ?

drift1ng

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2020
Interesting. At least you managed to boot and connect with Team Viewer.

I just snatched a 3070 : with firmware 138.0.0.0.0 it only gave me a Chime Loop of Death, and after updating to 144.0.0.0.0 it doesn't produce anything (no chime), nothing is displayed and it has no Caps Lock feedback, doesn't boot at all. PRAM reset doesn't work.

I could boot at one time with the card under-powered (only PCIe bus), but nothing showed up in the Device Manager, obviously.

I have yet to confirm that the card is 100% good, only tested it quickly with a PC mini ITX board, displayed at least the UEFI BIOS, have yet to use it with a real OS.

Anyone around here having a positive experience with an RTX 30x0 and cMP 2010-2012 ?
I am having a similar experience. I have the same machine and bootROM and I get no video signal out of the 3070, although the GPU fans do spin and keyboard and mouse do get power. No POST chime.

I did manage to detect the 3070 in Device Manager one time. I booted with the default GT 120 and 3070 installed but the power cable not plugged into the 3070. After Windows loaded, I plugged in the power cable for the 3070 and it showed up. However, when I restart or cold start with both cards installed, it just boot loops and POST chimes over and over.

It seems to me like a driver or other software compatibility issue.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
  • Pixlas mod
  • Opencore

View attachment 957928
Did you completely remove the AMD driver before you install the RTX card?

sp1tf1r3

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2016
My guess is that's it either an issue with PCIe 4.0 capabilities vs a PCIe 2.0 only motherboard (but PCIe 4 cards like the RX 5600 XT are already being used in cMPs, right ?), or the (U)EFI on these newer cards ..

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
You might be able to have success with RefindPlus as a bootloader before OC. You will have to compile it from the GIT branch. It can load the NVIDIA GOP driver. As far as Windows drivers they should be available from Microsoft or NVIDIA. The problem I noticed is that the display port does not work. DVI does and the HDMI might work.

Reactions: h9826790

Krys7ian

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2020
Yes, it was a fresh install of windows.

Finally I've built whole SFFPC for this RTX 3080. RX 580 is back in my MP 5.1.
Hi, so nobody found a way to run these cards right? Im in the same trouble, 5.1 3080, first chain chime, second boot no chime, but also no strange LEDs on, GPU gets slighlty warm, no video output... running windows and suse normally switching back to 980ti/1080ti it boots right up.

sp1tf1r3

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2016
I think it's worse than that. Booting with the 30x0 card alone or with a supported card (GT120, 5870), prevents the boot sequence to complete. No matter which input is connected, tried all of them and also without. The simple presence of the card, fully powered, prevents the Mac to boot at all. Was able to boot without AUX power, but then it was not detected (not showing as a device in the PCI list).

As @mbonkowski , I went to build a mini gaming rig, and the card works perfectly there.

Eschers

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2015
ch
has anyone figured out what the underlying problem is?

ps: maybe some features from a newer power supply are needed, no one with an external psu?

Last edited:

felrobert

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2021
Bay Area
  • Pixlas mod
  • Opencore

View attachment 957928
Have you tried running your RTX with external power supply? It could be that motherboard power is not enough.

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
Hi everyone, I'm trying to see something with RTX 3080ti with MacPro 5.1 only with windows.

The power for GPU is ok, I tryed to power also with external PSU but can't see something

So I've Installed High Sierra latest version and firmware with nvidia webdriver and cuda core and I tryed also with flash of mojave, but nothing

Tryied with OC at the boot but the boot stated with infinite loops

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Any NVIDIA GPU newer than RTX 20xx requires UEFI 2.3.1 HII support which ancient MacPro5,1 EFI 1.10 does not have. Any GPU that requires HII will make the Mac Pro to not correctly complete POST or not even power on.

Is the same issue as the AMD NAVI 2x GPUs, these only work with MacPro5,1 with a patch that removes the HII requirement from the GPU firmware. The difference is that with AMD GPUs the Mac Pro does not power on, failing POST.

With AMD NAVI 2x there was a serious demand, since the cards work with macOS, and people buggered devs until the patch that disabled the requirement was developed while for RTX 30xx and 40xx that only work with Windows or Linux there is no justification or demand to do the same.

ZXRyuu

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
I was able to use dosdude1's ROMTool and DXEInject, as well as OpenCore's EnableGop.ffs file to get past the GPU Firmware block on a GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Gaming X 8GB, reference: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/manually-configured-opencore-on-the-mac-pro.2207814/

Appendix section on Native Bootscreen Support

I used Mac OS X Mavericks to backup the stock firmware and Flash the GopFirmware back to the MX25L3205D chip on my motherboard.

I was able to get Windows 11 x64 UEFI to work with no issues, but I haven't touched macOS yet.

IMG_5351.jpeg

IMG_5352.jpeg

IMG_5356.jpeg

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
I was able to use dosdude1's ROMTool and DXEInject, as well as OpenCore's EnableGop.ffs file to get past the GPU Firmware block on a GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Gaming X 8GB, reference: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/manually-configured-opencore-on-the-mac-pro.2207814/

Appendix section on Native Bootscreen Support

I used Mac OS X Mavericks to backup the stock firmware and Flash the GopFirmware back to the MX25L3205D chip on my motherboard.

I was able to get Windows 11 x64 UEFI to work with no issues, but I haven't touched macOS yet.

View attachment 2356391
View attachment 2356392
View attachment 2356390

Wow I need to do the same, there is a clear step by step guide can I follow?
Or can you follow me with your procedure?

At this moment I have both GPUs installed
The Ati Radeon original and the RTX without power just connected by pci-e (no give problem work with only Ati) the power for RTX is not problem too

MacOs High Sierra original 138.000.000

No flash in mojave

Waiting your updates of what I will have to do

Attachments

• IMG-20240305-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240305-WA0002.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

ZXRyuu

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
I used the Appendix Section on Native Bootscreen Support as my step-by-step guide, from this page: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/manually-configured-opencore-on-the-mac-pro.2207814/. It's the very first post and the section is at the bottom. You will need to have the latest firmware already installed before following this guide.

I used my ATI Radeon HD 5770 and Mac OS X Mavericks to do all the firmware stuff, because that was easiest (didn't have to mess around with the csrutil).

If you need more help, just message back after you get your firmware updated to 144.0.0.0.0

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
I used the Appendix Section on Native Bootscreen Support as my step-by-step guide, from this page: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/manually-configured-opencore-on-the-mac-pro.2207814/. It's the very first post and the section is at the bottom. You will need to have the latest firmware already installed before following this guide.

I used my ATI Radeon HD 5770 and Mac OS X Mavericks to do all the firmware stuff, because that was easiest (didn't have to mess around with the csrutil).

If you need more help, just message back after you get your firmware updated to 144.0.0.0.0

Ok I will do, so for this moment I only flash at 144.0.0.0.0 flash the high sierra or need to install mojave completely?

ZXRyuu

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
My Mac Pro automatically installed the 144.0.0.0.0 firmware when I was using Mojave as my primary OS on my machine at the time. But I seem to recall needing an additional graphics card (in my case the NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti) because the stock 5770 didn't work when I tried to update, but that may have just been me, not sure. I didn't include anything for updating the firmware, because mine was updated back in 2019 when the firmware was launched. So, I would hunt down a guide from someone else to get you that far.

But now having seen other posts about requiring HII, this whole process might not work for you; I'm not sure. But it might give more data points for the community if you do decide to pursue it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.