Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZXRyuu

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
Yes, if you can attach a picture to confirm, I'd like to see it. If you select Mojave, it'll probably load, but if you look at the System Information it will say something like Display 8MB or something like that, because there's no driver support in macOS. I would start getting a USB Drive for Windows 10 ready.

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
Yes, if you can attach a picture to confirm, I'd like to see it. If you select Mojave, it'll probably load, but if you look at the System Information it will say something like Display 8MB or something like that, because there's no driver support in macOS. I would start getting a USB Drive for Windows 10 ready.

Sure I left you here a pic of desktop and a pic of 3080TI with desktop

So now I proceed to remove physically the ATI and left only the RTX

Thanks a lot for your patience for having me follow on these operations.

So at this point, do you advice me to remain with windows 10 or install the 11 version if it is stable?

Schermata 2024-03-08 alle 22.59.37.png
20240308_225700.jpg

ZXRyuu

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
You're welcome; glad it worked for you. I would start with Windows 10, because it will make installing Boot Camp and other drivers easier. I upgraded my copy of Windows 10 to 11 later on, after I had done all of the Windows updates, Apple Software updates for Boot Camp and various other software configurations. Be advised, I got the best results out of Windows by installing it on its own, separate hard drive and using UEFI options through Rufus. Now that you have Native Boot Screen Support, you should have an easier time selecting which boot loader you want to use at startup.

I'd like to see your final result when you get Windows up and running.

Reactions: Supermimmo

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
You're welcome; glad it worked for you. I would start with Windows 10, because it will make installing Boot Camp and other drivers easier. I upgraded my copy of Windows 10 to 11 later on, after I had done all of the Windows updates, Apple Software updates for Boot Camp and various other software configurations. Be advised, I got the best results out of Windows by installing it on its own, separate hard drive and using UEFI options through Rufus. Now that you have Native Boot Screen Support, you should have an easier time selecting which boot loader you want to use at startup.

I'd like to see your final result when you get Windows up and running.

Sure, tomorrow I will reinstall the ssd with windows 10 installed without Bootcamp
I was install it with cmd on windows using Brigador focused for macpro 5.1

Tomorrow I will install all drivers for RTX
And leave phisycal the ATI Radeon

ZXRyuu

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
Awesome; sounds great! Have a great time with that tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing about it.

Reactions: Supermimmo

ZXRyuu

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
I forgot to mention; make sure you download and install OpenCore to your EFI partition and select it from the Boot Picker before installing Windows. Using OpenCore Legacy Patcher to install Windows will help ensure you don't end up with NVRAM corruption, which could potentially brick your machine.

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
@ZXRyuu Oh ok thanks for update me, there is also a guide for this? Or you can guide me for it for this last part?

Last edited:

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
@ZXRyuu I think I've done, at start power of MacPro, I've hold press "Option", I've selected EFI BOOT and on SSD there is only Windows Disk and it load quick alone, just to click after click efiboot correnct?

Can I remove the boot picker at startup or is better if I maintain it?

Last edited:

ZXRyuu

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
That sounds right. Do you have some pictures of your steps?

I would continue to maintain it at this point.

Busy day today; just got time to check back.

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
That sounds right. Do you have some pictures of your steps?

I would continue to maintain it at this point.

Busy day today; just got time to check back.

Sure I will send a screenshot of benchmark but before it I've a problem yesterday, because I unplug the old Amd and install only RTX
The power seems is correct around 485W totally

But when I use a bechmark like 8k optimized
the MacPro suddenly shuts downPc shoutdown immediately

So for not use Pixlas Mod I connected like this:

The 2 port 6 mini pin indipendently to 8 pin so 300W of GPU

And the last port of GPU to 8pin to "Y" 6 pin and to 6 pin to two Sata HDD port

Plus 75W of PCI-E

But when it arrived in full stress it the mac pro shoutdown, my question is If I connect a "Y" two 6mini pin to 8 pin otherwise then now so single mini 6pin to 8pin, would it surely have the same current range as 300w?

If yes I've two free port of GPU available to connect to 2/3/4 HDD sata on motherboard

Last edited:

ZXRyuu

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
I don't have that much experience with the Pixlas Mod (only what I've read online), or GPUs that draw more power than 150watts (which is what my RTX 4060 Ti uses). But the behavior you're seeing is definitely indicative of an overdraw of power.

This page mentions something about the EVGA Power Link and that seemed to redirect some power to help out. Maybe it would help in your case, but I have no idea. Again, I have very little understanding of the Pixlas mod; sorry.

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
Ok no problem @ZXRyuu , I only ask if 2 single 6mini pin to 8 pin can cover power like 2 minipin to 8pin
And the rest I think to connect on 3 sata

ZXRyuu

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
From my understanding, using a dual mini 6 pin to single 8 pin cable provides the best results.

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
From my understanding, using a dual mini 6 pin to single 8 pin cable provides the best results.

Ok so I can use "Y" for 6 minipin to 8 pin to - First 8 pin GPU - 300W
"Y" for 6 pin to 2 sata to 8 pin - Second 8 pin GPU - 108W
and the last one - 6 pin to sata to 8 pin - Third port GPU - 54W (or I can use also here 2 sata in case)

+ PCI-e power 75W

Total = 573W (factory specs this EVGA FTW3 ULTRA 3080TI need maximum 450W)

on your link about a power link evga is only for 2 port of 8 not 3 like my case
so do you think or know someone can tell me if my last cable setting is correct and is that enough to keep it from turning off?

ZXRyuu

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
Oh yeah, I didn't realize that your GPU had three power ports. Yeah, you will probably need to ask someone else about your wiring needs.

Supermimmo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2024
Maybe it can help you

Ok thanks @nonamevr your advice is the same of @ZXRyuu, so I'll to follow this configuration

2 sata to 8pin
2 sata to 8pin
2x6minipin to 8pin

also now having all the sata ports occupied to power the gpu, I would like to know if the m2 SSD adapter on PCI-e is ok for booting windows

some users have found that there is no problem with open core, can you confirm?

and if so, does this adapter have to be from OWC like the Accelsior 1m2 model or is a generic one fine too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.